Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 37,214 times

Advertisements

I have been looking to buy a home in the southwest suburbs lately. I've noticed that Orland Hills property taxes seem low. Property taxes below $3000 seem common in Orland Hills. Will property taxes stay low in Orland Hills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 08:35 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,527 times
Orland Hills should be giving residents tax rebates with the amount of business that has flocked to 159th st in the last 20 years despite they way it's run. The village is probably the most wasteful in all the southland with latest reports of town officials using the village credit card to pay for drinks at the local bar, citing "official business". Unfortunately if it was "official business" they would have had to cite the minutes of the meeting and post them for the public.
They also are constantly feuding with neighboring Tinley Park about who should pay for road improvements, sewers etc...

So right now Orland Hills is riding the gravy train, but residents, are getting fed up and want better representation from their elected officials.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:20 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Taxes are fairly stable in Orland Hills as well as Tinley and Orland Park due to all 3 of them having such a strong retail presence pumping millions into the operating budgets. Not to mention that these three towns are \"mature\" towns now that have great schools, police, fire, etc., so not too much more needs to be done to them in order for them to accomodate the needs of the residents other than dealing with the growing traffic problem of which is being dealt with right now.

I personally give Orland Hills two thumbs up

Old 04-14-2008, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 10,132 times
Default Don't do it.

The way this village is run is a complete joke.
Want something done? Better have had a "Hastings for Mayor" sign in your yard last election.

Dialogue from a conversation with Mayor Hastings as my house was flooding becuase the village did not have screens on pond drains (which then clogged when a garbage can got lodged in a pipe)....

"Anything you need to help with this let me know. Anything, and the village will do it."

"How about bringing out a fire truck and pumping water out over that rise?"

"Sorry, we can't do that."

"How about some sandbags?"

"Sorry, we can't do that."

"Thanks, mayor."

Property taxes are low, but look into water and garbage collection fees.
They are ten times higher than in neighboring Orland Park.
I have spent close to $200 a month in the summer on water.

Orland Hills is not nice.
I'm so glad I'm out of there.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:39 PM

28 posts, read 120,545 times
I agree with dee bee, Orland hills is not a great place at all. There is section 8 housing along 94th ave near the Wal-Mart. Not a good element living in those apartments. But if "diversity" is what your looking for move right in. I would guess the other parts of Orland Hills are O.K. though I would not invest a down payment on a house in that town.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355express View Post
I agree with dee bee, Orland hills is not a great place at all. There is section 8 housing along 94th ave near the Wal-Mart. Not a good element living in those apartments. But if "diversity" is what your looking for move right in. I would guess the other parts of Orland Hills are O.K. though I would not invest a down payment on a house in that town.
And even with that "element", Orland Hills has a whopping crime rate of 65. Dangerous indeed.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Anyone that thinks OH is dangerous needs to seriously get out of their little bubble and see the real world. OH has some of the most ruthless police in the entire area and criminals know it. You do ANYTHING and the cops are all over you like flies on "stuff" within literally a minute. Well hell the town is only a mile wide by a couple miles long so how long can it take for the cops to get from 160th and 94th to where ever in the town? I mean seriously... And the "bad element" that is being spoken of (the few people who live in the town that aren't white is what is being said here just in "other" words.... bad element, pfffft) The "bad element" you know poor people because all poor people are bad... lives NEXT to the police station. LOL!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 PM

15 posts, read 93,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355express View Post
What exactly is that suppose to mean, "if diversity is what your looking for move right in?" I hope you're not meaning that the tennants are of Color in the Section 8 housing? There are White people living in those Orland Hill Projects as well! Those people also work! I see them getting on buses....trying to make ends meet. Some of the people would ride their bikes to the various businesses, they worked at in the community!

I've worked in Orland for ten years. That area around the Wal-Mart is kept in immaculent shape. Just as another poster commented, police respond within seconds of any wrong doing. I'm so fed up with the blatant racism on this board! Please! Just like a poster stated, if Orland Hills is considered dangerous, people really need to get a real sense of reality!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 PM

28 posts, read 120,545 times
I never said the bad element was or is non-white, NYrules said that. I agree with Ex-Harvey resident that there are people of color and white people living in those "projects", so as I said if you're looking for "diversity" move right in.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 20,937 times
Thumbs down I am so tired of everyones BS....(sorry but I am)

I was going to move into the townhouses right next to the "projects" on 94th Ave until I found out that those were projects. All of these people on here that say "oh, you're are racist this and that," grow up. Please people tell me where you live. What would you do if your neighborhood decided to put up an apartment building at the end of your street and decide to make it section 8 living, what do you think that would do to your property value. If you want to live near the projects, move into a low income neigborhood and save your self a hell of a lot of money. People AREN'T racist just because they want a safe neighborhood and yes that includes NOT living near projects. Call me whatever the hell you want to, but call me it when you taste your own medicine, like I said before, go move into a low income neighborhood and save yourself a lot of money and stop pandering, it is sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs