Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 PM

4 posts, read 7,711 times

Advertisements

Hey all, looking for some help/advice/and everything in between. My wife and I are moving from Hawaii to the NTC area. We are looking for a 3bedroom 2-2.5 bath townhome or single family home. I would like to be within 20 minutes either south or west of NTC. We are looking for help on good areas, traffic issues, shopping etc. My normal commute time would be having to be at work by 730am and work a normal work day. It seems like the only thing we see online are about Lake Bluff, and Lake Forest. We will be moving the first week of May. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,604 times
Your question about Great Lakes has been asked hundreds of times. Use the search function to find your answers.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
Look into Gurnee, Grayslake, and even Round Lake (fyi if you have kids Round Lake schools are horrible).

Old 01-15-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Your question about Great Lakes has been asked hundreds of times. Use the search function to find your answers.
Maybe a little assistance Lakecountylifer. I searched already and saw nothing. I am so excited for the warm lake county hospitality.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:50 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Budget? Will your wife be working and where if so?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Chicago Jlo. My budget is capped at 1800. My wife will not be working, as we will be having a newborn. My perfect situation is to find the right place and sign a long term lease at a small discount. I also have not lived in a cold weather state in a long long time this should be interesting.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:15 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,604 times
OK.... Sorry. South or West of the base you could find something to rent for 1800 in Libertyville, Lake Bluff, Deerfield, Highland Park, Vernon Hills. While Lake Forest, Bannockburn, Riverwoods and Lincolnshire are most likely out of your price range. All communities I have listed are great and you will have no problems. Stay from North Chicago, Waukegan, Zion, Winthrop Harbor, Beach Park and the Round Lakes. I would be cautious on Mundelein and Highwood. Other good communities that would be a fit for you and will get you more home for your 1800, but is north of the base, is Gurnee and Grayslake. All of these towns are within 20 minutes of the base. If you avoid the towns I mentioned, you will be golden. One additional hint: If you live within about 3-5 miles of the lake front you will feel a more pronounced lake affect cooling in the April-late June time period, where the lake which has been cold all winter affects air temperature. Since your from Hawaii---thought you would like to know that.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Are you also going to need to be close to whichever health care providers are covered on your insurance if you will be having a baby here too? That would be another consideration. And if your wife is going to be home you might want to also look into which towns have more of the activities she envisions herself doing with the baby, because you really don't just stay home with them every day once they are a few weeks old.

I agree with lakecountylifer's suggestions although I can tell you that as of right now there aren't too many 3 bed townhomes or single family homes for rent in this area, I've been looking myself. You're probably better off looking in the entire area and finding a property you like rather than zooming in on one town. And I wouldn't count on the long term discount either, there are more and more people lining up to become tenants these days, it's becoming a landlord's market.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:45 AM

Thank you for the pointers. We are looking online at realtor.com its just hard never seeing the area knowing traffic patterns, shopping, restaurants, dog parks, etc.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 12,698 times
Parts of Round Lake are actually very nice. The Valley Lakes Subdivision is only about 10 years old and has many young families. Valley Lakes is also in the Big Hollow SD (NOT Round Lake SD) which is a big plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs