Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 8,007 times

Advertisements

We have factored childcare into the budget, but we don't have much to worry about with the commute times because I don't go to work until later in the day.

He may end up at the Chicago campus eventually because he is hoping to get into the medical research field soon, but who knows with that whole thing. But, if the drive was fairly short, I'm sure he would not mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,294 times
Doh wrong Northwestern!

Yes I can see why the North Shore would be better. Again I think you need to slow down and wait until the babies are here before making any rash decisions. $850k is a big number to regret in this market.

Plus - this is highly unlikely to happen and I'm certain it won't to you, but you should consider the chance that one or both of your babies may need extra care that makes it harder for you to go back to work - I've found myself in that position in the last year and it's been quite an adjustment. Of course I'm wishing your babies the best of health, but financially I wish I'd considered the possibility of it happening a little more than I did.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times
I would use the time to thoroughly research the city you would like to move to before pulling up stakes and moving. I've been there before so I know how you feel. I moved from a townhome to a house when I was pregnant with my son, because my husband and I thought that a 1 BR townhome with a den was too small.

However, like other people have mentioned, the babies will probably be in the same room as you anyway for the first few months. There won't be many toys to worry about either.

If you do decide to move before the twins come, there are other world class hospitals in the area besides U of C. My son was in the NICU at Lutheran General in Park Ridge for 2 weeks after he was born (and went home with a NG tube and apnea monitor for a few months), Children's Memorial, and there's one in the south suburbs (I can't think of the name!) with an excellent NICU.

I also heard that there will be a wave of foreclosures hitting the market in the spring--you might want to check the real estate forum--I thought I remember hearing that they were investigating the way the banks were handling them and they were all being put on hold for a little while. The market might further go down before it stablizes.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:40 PM

62 posts, read 224,717 times
First, congratulations! Second, as the mother of young twins myself, I can relate to wanting to have the "nest" in order before they arrive. It's very hard to make big decisions once they are here, because for the first year or more, your time and energy will be focused on their schedules and bonding.

The prior posters have listed great options for suburbs to raise a family. I'd suggest you spend the next 2 weeks checking out the ones that appeal to you, and see if any of them resonate with you and your partner. If one (or more) does, great! If not, then waiting to move would be best.

I agree, it's helpful to be near to your OB and hospital with little ones. Your appointments become very frequent with a multiple pregnancy, then once they are born they go very often for wellness visits, etc.

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 8,007 times
After some thought, we're going to stay in Hyde Park for a year or so. We talked with some of our family and the U of C hospital is the really the only hospital everyone trusts due to some difficulties with others during my grandmother's cancer treatments a few years ago as well as my cousin's pregnancy with triplets a year ago.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Best of luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billings77 View Post
After some thought, we're going to stay in Hyde Park for a year or so. We talked with some of our family and the U of C hospital is the really the only hospital everyone trusts due to some difficulties with others during my grandmother's cancer treatments a few years ago as well as my cousin's pregnancy with triplets a year ago.
Once the little ones are not quite so tiny, you are back to being mobile and dad is no longer as overwhelmed as he is going to be , I am sure all of you will be able to make some decisions for the long term.

Twice the work, twice the enjoyment, half the time...

You have a lot to balance out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs