U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What town are you moving to?
Munster 1 14.29%
Highland 0 0%
Dyer 0 0%
Schererville 0 0%
Saint John 2 28.57%
Crown Point 2 28.57%
Winfield 0 0%
Valparaiso 0 0%
Chesterton 1 14.29%
Other (please list name) 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 AM

2,118 posts, read 4,773,039 times

Advertisements

Where are you moving FROM and where are you moving TO? I am asking this because due to the recent passage of tax increases, many people are assuming that there will be a greater influx of Chicagoans into Indiana (as well as other states). I am not trying to discuss the taxes (or politics); I am just asking honestly to see what areas people from Illinois have looked at in NWI. I am also not trying to recruit people to leave Illinois or anything of the sort. Thanks everyone!
Rate this post positively

Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM

5,656 posts, read 17,969,972 times
Not at this point in time, but likely we will be moving to the South Bend area when (if) retirement comes.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:39 PM

690 posts, read 1,826,048 times
I wouldn't live in NW Indiana just because of all the smog an Steel Mill smell and soot in the air. If I have to pay more to live in Illinois---so be it

Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 PM

2,118 posts, read 4,773,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
I wouldn't live in NW Indiana just because of all the smog an Steel Mill smell and soot in the air. If I have to pay more to live in Illinois---so be it
The effects you listed only affect parts of Chicago (yes, as in Chicago, Illinois), Gary, Hammond, and E.C...having said that, those are only a few towns out of many in NWI. The towns I listed in the poll are not affected.

Not to mention I was looking for responses from people who ARE moving to NWI, not people who are not...

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 01-23-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 PM

4,111 posts, read 8,080,348 times
Quote:
The south suburbs in Illinois have just as much of an industrial history as NW Indiana. Drive down State Street in Chicago Heights, Illinois sometime and you'll see what I'm talking about. In Indiana, there never was much industry south of Gary, Hammond and East Chicago.. This is such a ridiculous thing to say and it sounds like you've never even been to NW Indiana before (or at least anywhere south of Hammond).

Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 AM

690 posts, read 1,826,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
The south suburbs in Illinois have just as much of an industrial history as NW Indiana. Drive down State Street in Chicago Heights, Illinois sometime and you'll see what I'm talking about. In Indiana, there never was much industry south of Gary, Hammond and East Chicago.. This is such a ridiculous thing to say and it sounds like you've never even been to NW Indiana before (or at least anywhere south of Hammond).

LOL. I spent a ton of time in Munster as a kid at my grand parents house. Steel Mills Smell 24/7. Disgusting. The steel mill smell makes its way into Lansing too and I wouldn't live there either.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 AM

806 posts, read 2,067,264 times
Quote:
LOL. I spent a ton of time in Munster as a kid at my grand parents house. Steel Mills Smell 24/7. Disgusting. The steel mill smell makes its way into Lansing too and I wouldn't live there either.
Strange, when was the last time you were in the Munster area for more than a pass-through? That smell isn't there anymore. Again, I think we'd all agree that the effects, including smell and otherwise, of the steel mills can be felt in Hammond, EC, Whiting, and Gary. However, the towns south of 80/94 don't experience any of it. And I'm not sure how long ago your childhood was, but your name implies that you may not be a spring chicken anymore.

Again, though, Northwest Indiana posted this topic requesting responses from those who are considering or have decided to move from Illinois to NWI, not for those to criticize either area.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM

721 posts, read 1,641,600 times
If people fled to Northwest Indiana and continued to work in Illinois, wouldn't they still be paying income taxes for Illinois? They just wouldn't be using the resources that they're paying for, which I personally would be fine with them doing. This taxation panic is getting blown out or proportion. People are so uneducated and just listen to whoever screams the loudest.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:36 PM

151 posts, read 367,675 times
The pollution there isn't as bad as it used to be, both due to modernization and some of the industries having gone belly-up. The days of snow turning black from soot in a day are over.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 PM

7,453 posts, read 7,508,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
If people fled to Northwest Indiana and continued to work in Illinois, wouldn't they still be paying income taxes for Illinois? They just wouldn't be using the resources that they're paying for, which I personally would be fine with them doing. This taxation panic is getting blown out or proportion. People are so uneducated and just listen to whoever screams the loudest.
We actually were just discussing this in the NWI forum. IL income tax

A helpful poster shared an article that may answer that question.

I think to a lot of people in IL, it isn't just the income tax. The income tax hike was the straw that broke the camel's back when coupled with soaring property taxes, sales taxes, etc.

Either way, NWI is only a reasonable option for people who work in the city center or in the south suburbs, as far as commuting goes. Any other part of the metro area is just too far IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs