Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 PM

21 posts, read 118,546 times

Advertisements

hey everyone
i will be soon starting to work in cicero from 10-6. my question is, how safe or usafe the area is during that time? which areas should i stay away from? whats your recomended way to commute to cicero, would the CTA be a good way to commute from chicago northside?
any feed back will really be appreciated.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 06:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I think people overstate tend Cicero's danger a bit. I don't want to give anyone the impression that it's actually a nice place that gets a bad rap, because some of its reputation is deserved. But you should be fine during the day in pretty much any part of Cicero, though I hope you're not working at a convenience store or anything. The Pink Line CTA train goes out to Cicero, and from there you'll probably be able to catch a PACE bus that will take you fairly close to your destination. Do you have an intersection or address you'll be working at?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:08 PM

hey drover thanks for the info, its south cicero ave and 22 street.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
"22nd St." is actually Cermak Road... There happens to be a Pink Line L stop right at that intersection. They also run the Cermak/Douglas Branch Blue Line train on the same track from the Polk stop westward during rush hours, the difference being the Cermak/Douglas Branch Blue Line follows the Blue Line from O'Hare to the downtown subway and then out west, whereas the Pink Line train operates on the Loop elevated track. So that gives you a couple of transfer options, or if you live near the Blue line on the North(west) side, you can catch a train that will take you directly to your stop with no transfer necessary.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:52 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I lived there for years and if I recall the only real bad area was "grant works" stay away from there. 22nd street is fine, also Cicero is one of the most well lit suburbs you will ever find.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamluk View Post
hey everyone
i will be soon starting to work in cicero from 10-6. my question is, how safe or usafe the area is during that time? which areas should i stay away from? whats your recomended way to commute to cicero, would the CTA be a good way to commute from chicago northside?
any feed back will really be appreciated.
thanks
People got you thinking you're gonna get smacked down heh? A common misconception about minority/majority communities like Cicero. But per the Illinois State Police database, Cicero's crime rate is lower than Oak Park.

We've eaten at Al's Pizza, Klas and Serenata on Cermak Road in Cicero at all hours of the day and night and I'm still here to tell about it. Though it might be a little nerve racking at first to be in a different environment than what you're used to, just act normal and you'll be just fine. And if you're really feeling dangerous one day, venture over to 61st and 16th and try Freddy's Pizzera. Great authentic Italian food and pizza.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:24 AM

hahaha i love italian food so it sounds good after all. thank you guys.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 PM

150 posts, read 580,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I lived there for years and if I recall the only real bad area was "grant works" stay away from there. 22nd street is fine, also Cicero is one of the most well lit suburbs you will ever find.

Uhh Yeah I used to live in Grant Works from my birth 1982-1988 when we moved into a house and it was pretty bad then. I remember walking around Cicero at all hours of the day and never feeling scared just cautious but you have to be cautious anywhere now a days.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 PM

150 posts, read 580,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
People got you thinking you're gonna get smacked down heh? A common misconception about minority/majority communities like Cicero. But per the Illinois State Police database, Cicero's crime rate is lower than Oak Park.

We've eaten at Al's Pizza, Klas and Serenata on Cermak Road in Cicero at all hours of the day and night and I'm still here to tell about it. Though it might be a little nerve racking at first to be in a different environment than what you're used to, just act normal and you'll be just fine. And if you're really feeling dangerous one day, venture over to 61st and 16th and try Freddy's Pizzera. Great authentic Italian food and pizza.

MMMMM Al's I have been craving stuffed artichoke for about 5 years now!! I miss it! Freddy is really good and their Italian Ice is really good too.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 17,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbercutes824 View Post
MMMMM Al's I have been craving stuffed artichoke for about 5 years now!! I miss it! Freddy is really good and their Italian Ice is really good too.
agreed! stop by freddy's for sure.

cheers,

jj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs