Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which outlet mall project do you believe would be more successful if built?
Fashion Outlets of Chicago: Rosemont 5 41.67%
Chicagoland Outlets at Country Club Hills 2 16.67%
Both projects 3 25.00%
Neither project 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,148 times

Advertisements

MALL DEVELOPERS LOOK TO OUTLET CENTERS AS NEW AVENUE FOR GROWTH: According to this article, it seems as though retail in the coming years is going to be more focused on outlet centers.

There was a high-end outlet mall proposed by O'Hare called
FASHION OUTLETS OF CHICAGO: ROSEMONT that was supposed to have been built a few years ago. With the economy for retail beginning to recover somewhat, does anyone feel that there will be a demand to get this project going? What does everyone think of this project? Thanks for the replies!

Also, there was supposed to be an outlet mall built in Country Club Hills called CHICAGOLAND OUTLETS AT COUNTRY CLUB HILLS (http://www.craigrealtygroup.com/scott/craig/pdfs/leasing/ChicagolandLeasing.pdf - broken link). Is there any project between these two that anybody feels is more realistic or will be more successful? Thanks for the replies! This is a topic that has interested me for a while!

P.S. My personal view is that I feel both projects will be good for the area. The one by the airport will be great for visitors who have a long layover or are staying only a day or two in the area (as well as for regional shoppers looking for the highest-end items at a fraction of their original prices. The south suburban project will give a huge economic boost to the area and also provide the area with name brands that one usually has to travel an hour or more for and at a fraction of the price as well provide jobs for the area.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 12-06-2010 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: added personal view

Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
I didn't hear about the outlet mall being built in CC Hills. What brands are you talking about, exactly?

With all due respect, I don't see how retail will give a "huge economic boost" to the south suburbs. Oh goody, more opportunities to stock shelves for minimum wage.

I'd be way more excited about a successful revitalization of good old Lincoln Mall than the success of this new CC Hills project. Because in case you seriously hadn't noticed, if you head a few minutes south of the location of this project, there's a dying shopping mall with several empty storefronts..

I would also like to see some industrial jobs return in the south suburbs. And some trade schools.

Last edited by urza216; 12-07-2010 at 07:54 AM..

Old 12-07-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I didn't hear about the outlet mall being built in CC Hills. What brands are you talking about, exactly?

With all due respect, I don't see how retail will give a "huge economic boost" to the south suburbs. Oh goody, more opportunities to stock shelves for minimum wage.

I'd be way more excited about a successful revitalization of good old Lincoln Mall than the success of this new CC Hills project. Because in case you seriously hadn't noticed, if you head a few minutes south of the location of this project, there's a dying shopping mall with several empty storefronts..

I would also like to see some industrial jobs return in the south suburbs. And some trade schools.
As far as brands go, I am talking about brands like Ralph Lauren, Coach, True Religion, Se7en, D & G, Armani, and other higher-end name brands. Yes, I know that some of these can be found at Orland, but not at outlet prices. The nearest outlet is either in Aurora or in Michigan City.

And when I speak of economic boost to the south suburbs, I am not saying that this project alone will bring economic boost, but rather, open up the doors for further developments. Businesses want to locate A) where it is popular, B) where they will have a safe investment, and C) where their clientele/employees are moving to. I think that the project in CCH will make the area more attractive for a diversity of businesses to perhaps give the area a chance and locate there. If this outlet mall is built, it will be a destination for the south suburbs as people from there as well as southwest suburbs and NWI will shop there. I think it will do a lot of good for the area. Yes the jobs may not be the most high-paying, but usually that follows.

Regarding Lincoln Mall, yes I am familiar with it and know it is dying. However, if I am not mistaken, there was a plan to revitalize the area and so far, the area seems to be doing okay with retail. The mall itself could be redevloped into some type of Town Center with living options as well. However, the CCH project is somewhat on a different level based on the fact that it is sandwiched between 2 of the heaviest traffic areas in the south/suthwest suburbs.

I too would like to see more industrial/trade jobs as well. But if you think a factory is going to be built in that prime location, I don't know what to tell you other than I don't think that would ever happen.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 12-07-2010 at 09:33 AM..

Old 12-07-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
As far as brands go, I am talking about brands like Ralph Lauren, Coach, True Religion, Se7en, D & G, Armani, and other higher-end name brands. Yes, I know that some of these can be found at Orland, but not at outlet prices. The nearest outlet is either in Aurora or in Michigan City.

And when I speak of economic boost to the south suburbs, I am not saying that this project alone will bring economic boost, but rather, open up the doors for further developments. Businesses want to locate A) where it is popular, B) where they will have a safe investment, and C) where their clientele/employees are moving to. I think that the project in CCH will make the area more attractive for a diversity of businesses to perhaps give the area a chance and locate there. If this outlet mall is built, it will be a destination for the south suburbs as people from there as well as southwest suburbs and NWI will shop there. I think it will do a lot of good for the area. Yes the jobs may not be the most high-paying, but usually that follows.

Regarding Lincoln Mall, yes I am familiar with it and know it is dying. However, if I am not mistaken, there was a plan to revitalize the area and so far, the area seems to be doing okay with retail. The mall itself could be redevloped into some type of Town Center with living options as well. However, the CCH project is somewhat on a different level based on the fact that it is sandwiched between 2 of the heaviest traffic areas in the south/suthwest suburbs.

I too would like to see more industrial/trade jobs as well. But if you think a factory is going to be built in that prime location, I don't know what to tell you other than I don't think that would ever happen.
Factories should be built in the mostly abandoned industrial areas in Chicago Heights, and in the quiet industrial park in University Park off of Central Avenue. The Matteson/Olympia Fields area of Lincoln Highway is doing well with retail (I eat, shop, cash my paycheck and hang out there all the time) but Lincoln Mall is for whatever reason, not doing so well. Lincoln Mall is doing okay this season but the rest of the year, it won't be.

This sounds like a good project in CC Hills. I'll have to check it out when it's finished.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Factories should be built in the mostly abandoned industrial areas in Chicago Heights, and in the quiet industrial park in University Park off of Central Avenue. The Matteson/Olympia Fields area of Lincoln Highway is doing well with retail (I eat, shop, cash my paycheck and hang out there all the time) but Lincoln Mall is for whatever reason, not doing so well. Lincoln Mall is doing okay this season but the rest of the year, it won't be.

This sounds like a good project in CC Hills. I'll have to check it out when it's finished.
I agree. However, there still has to be another draw to the area to get more people to do more than live and work there (which is why I support this project).

I was just typing why I feel the mall suffered/is suffering and what can be done to improve it, then I found this website. It pretty much explains much of what I was going to say. Of course some things may have changed as it was written over a year ago, but for the most part the overall analysis is pretty much in line with what I feel.

Lincoln Mall; Matteson, Illinois

Old 12-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Default I would just like to correct soemthing

"Matteson is economically middle class, squeezed in between poverty-stricken Chicago Heights to the east, and wealthy Frankfort to its west." -from the article you linked

Olympia Fields is east of Matteson not Chicago Heights. And not all of Chicago Heights is poverty-stricken.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
"Matteson is economically middle class, squeezed in between poverty-stricken Chicago Heights to the east, and wealthy Frankfort to its west." -from the article you linked

Olympia Fields is east of Matteson not Chicago Heights. And not all of Chicago Heights is poverty-stricken.
I know that. And I'm guessing the author stated Chicago Heights being east because that is the general direction from Matteson (well more southeast than east) but was still misleading for them to state that since it is not really "squeezed in" between them. Overall, I do agree with what was stated about the mall itself.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the links and info, Northwest Indiana.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:23 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,639 times
The country club hills outlet mall project should be breaking ground this coming spring or summer the last I heard. Most of the space has already been leased. It's going to be huge at 150 acres and really add to the retail transformation of that area. The movie theater, walmart anchored strip mall, new banks, applebee's, sonic drive-in, the new outdoor concert theater (my fiancee and i saw toni braxton perform there this last summer, what a great concert besides the rain), the new upscale homes off of cicero, etc., had already done alot to improve the area around 183rd, 167th and cicero. This will be another phase to it. I think the final phase is supposed to include a waterpark.

Last edited by allen2323; 12-09-2010 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Minimum wage won't pay for a roof.
But it will pay for a whole heck of a lot more bills that seem to be subsidized by taxes right now (but that is another topic)...also, there are many many teens and young adults in that area and it will provide them with jobs and keep them out of trouble while teaching them responsibility. It will also take some of the financial burden off of some of the parents. That piece of land is NOT the place to put a factory...and besides, even if there was industrial property there, it would not employ nearly as many people as the outlets would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs