Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 PM

320 posts, read 713,845 times

Advertisements

A lot of transplants have moved to Bradley and Bourbonais over the past 20 years. These cities are further north than Kankakee. In fact, the exit from Bradley to exit from Kankakee is about 5+ minutes away. Most people out there work on the Southern end of the region. One of my professors at Chicago State lives out in Bradley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,014,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
A lot of transplants have moved to Bradley and Bourbonais over the past 20 years. These cities are further north than Kankakee. In fact, the exit from Bradley to exit from Kankakee is about 5+ minutes away. Most people out there work on the Southern end of the region. One of my professors at Chicago State lives out in Bradley.
Yep, Bradly, Bourbonais and Kankakee come together and kinda form an island surrounded by cornfields. It's funny because I called the Best Buy in Bourbonais to ask when they closed and the answering machine said "You've reached Best Buy in Kankakee."

Although it should be recognized that Aroma Park and Momence are just outside of this island but there are still a few cornfields in between.

Last edited by urza216; 02-04-2011 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: deleted content that would prabobly be more appropriate for another thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 PM

818 posts, read 2,161,070 times
If you consider suburbia to "end" when you start to see a significant amount of unincorporated, undeveloped farmland (that isn't a village/county nature preserve), suburbia ends on the North just north of Libertyville/Mundelin, and in the Southeast, it ends at the Southeastern edge of Portage, IN.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:37 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,898,739 times
My brother lives in Pleasant Prairie (next to Kenosha), and it's population is definitely counted as part of Chicago's metro. Because of this, Milwaukee can't count it's population as part of the Milwaukee metro.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,038,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
If you consider suburbia to "end" when you start to see a significant amount of unincorporated, undeveloped farmland (that isn't a village/county nature preserve), suburbia ends on the North just north of Libertyville/Mundelin, and in the Southeast, it ends at the Southeastern edge of Portage, IN.
I agree. I've worked in Gurnee a few years ago, and I consider it more exurban "Chiwaukee" as it is just about half between the two cities. Its much more difficult to define where suburbia ends in the far north suburbs, as it is you have much more isolated patches of built up area mixed with sonme farms from central lake county through Kenosha county.

Whereas where the west and south suburbs end: its a bit more clear.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:49 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,898,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I agree. I've worked in Gurnee a few years ago, and I consider it more exurban "Chiwaukee" as it is just about half between the two cities. Its much more difficult to define where suburbia ends in the far north suburbs, as it is you have much more isolated patches of built up area mixed with sonme farms from central lake county through Kenosha county.

Along Lake Michigan, it's built up, though.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:55 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,800,641 times
Actually Bourbonnais has a more suburban character than Gary or Kenosha. But it still has a lot of nearby agriculture so maybe it is a future suburb.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:01 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,274,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Yeah, plenty of Wisconsin Licence plates in Six Flags.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:15 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHelpsAll View Post
Just wondering. Looking into the Chicagoland area and just wondering if these two are Chicago suburbs depsite being in a different state.
No

Some people have loose definition and would consider them suburbs just because there in the metro. The census divides Chicagoland into three divisions and Northwest Indiana is in the Gary division. A lot of folks will say "well Gary is closer to Chicago compared to Joliet''. The thing is I don't really see Joliet as a true suburb either. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of empty land seperating it from the rest of suburbia. Look on a map and Joliet boundaries are sort of easy to point out since its not that well integrated with the rest of suburbia.

I been thinking this for a while, as Chicagolanders we should have the mindset of Californians and East Coasters(maybe) towards these satelite cities. I never heard Snoop Dogg refer to his hometown of Long Beach as a suburb of LA. How many people from Newark and Jersey City folks really see themselves as suburbanites? And getting back at Gary, Michael Jackson is from there. From my memory and till his death, MJ and reporters always said he's from Gary. Gary has an identity that of a city and before its economic crash, many people worked in Gary.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 02-05-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 PM

225 posts, read 752,216 times
I used to live in Kenosha, and would consider both it and Gary to be suburbs of Chicago, but both of them traditionally had their own identities. From my experience, most of the "locals" in Kenosha (the ones who had grown up there and lived there all of their lives) tended to identify more with Milwaukee and the rest of Wisconsin. Because of that, they tended to include in their social circles only those whom they had known when they were growing up.

Those who moved in from elsewhere tended to be from Illinois or other states, and would identify more with Chicago, and would be more socially receptive to others like them who had moved there from somewhere else.

Kenosha is in a location that can receive both Chicago and Milwaukee stations on its cable system, so people have a choice which they want to watch. They also of course receive radio stations from both cities, as well as having a couple of radio stations right in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs