Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 01:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,496 times

Advertisements

Pretty low to blame a 17 year old kid for getting mugged and call him a "drugged up loser" with no evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 03:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
There is not a whole lot other than a busted drug deal that could possibly explain how a 17 yr old gets "mugged" in an otherwise EXCEEDINGLY low crime part of Chicago with a HUGE known police presence...

I have literally not seen anything in the mainstream US press about Rahm's kids -- best bet at actually seeing a photo of the kid is from his visit to Isreal 4+ years ago -- ISRAEL TRUTH TIMES: CROCODILE TEARS: the best revenge will be the day his children turn against him, just as he turned against his people. These things have happened in our history repeatedly.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:24 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,496 times
I've been mugged at gunpoint right in front of my house in a low crime part of the city where I lived. I have never been involved with drugs and don't even drink, so I disagree. Not cool to blame the victim, especially when it's completely hypothetical. However, I know the feeling. After I got mugged nobody was sympathetic, they just thought I must have been doing something to deserve it. That is America for you. A lot of self righteous *******s in this country.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Nobody knows what the circumstances are for the robbery. Teens often go outside to talk on the phones so they can be out of earshot of their parents and not necessarily for drug deals....maybe he want to talk to his girlfriend. I can't believe people would read so many things into this. Some people on here just can't believe that there is real crime here in Chicago and it strikes in unlikely (and likely) places. Hear the one today about someone getting robbed in the parking lot of a Chicago police station???

Old 01-02-2015, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,925 times
I have lived in Oak Park for 20 years. Our 3 daughters grew up here going to public schools. Our home is at 521 N. Humphrey Ave, just 1 block from the west side of Chicago. Property tax is a bigger issue than crime.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,925 times
Default Not much danger in Oak Park

I have lived in Oak Park for 20 years. Our 3 daughters grew up here going to public schools. Our home is at 521 N. Humphrey Ave, just 1 block from the west side of Chicago. Property tax is a bigger issue than crime.

Our garage was broken into 3 times. No theft since I lock up my lawn mower and bikes with chains and locks.

No fear for me, 64 year old white man.
Brent

Old 01-30-2015, 01:38 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
OPDude? Not a chance...
LK? Probably...
The various rabid supporters of Oak Park? (where is chitownperson when I am saying something nice about Oak Park...)
Quaid? How many posts have they made? They're still in the "training wheels" stage -- when they get out of the "how many ears does the doll have" level and into something more than "all my fingers and toes" maybe they'll be more credible...
I've been away from this site for sometime, too busy working, so I just saw this. You said something nice about Oak Park, well done. Just cause I call B.S. on some distorted assumptions about Oak Park sometimes does not make me a "rabid supporter", but TBH, I don't disagree with your first post on this topic about Oak Park… And like someone else said, "safe" really is relative. We have to really look at "safety" from multiple perspective like data, analysis of that data, people who are familiar with the area on a regular basis and comparisons to other places that are considered "safe". After all the notion of "safety" does not exist in a bubble.

People have already mentioned what crime is like in Oak Park. Violent crime is minimal (and is mostly isolated to the sections of the Austin Blvd), property crime is high. Using the argument that Oak Park being next to the west side makes it dangerous doesn't hold water because, as mentioned, there's very little spill over. We could say one of the reasons is the OPPD, we could also consider that the shootings and violent crime that happens on the west side happen because of things like drug deals gone wrong, gang turf war, revenge, inter personal relationships gone wrong etc. These are all things that do not spill over into Oak Park because Oak Park does not have things like gang turf. No doubt there are multiple reasons why Oak Park and Austin are so different in terms of "safety", but even if you just look at the raw data on crime, Oak Park is still pretty level with parts of the north side of the city that are considered "safe". And if we're going to go by the numbers, Oak Park shows a steady decline of crimes over the past 40 years. That seems good enough for the never ending stream of families that move here, but there will always be people who feel different, just like any other place.

Last edited by chitownperson; 01-30-2015 at 01:51 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 06:22 AM

596 posts, read 820,491 times
If there's not much spillover then why is the property crime so high?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:11 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
He was probably talking about violent crime, but I'm not sure.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Not much spillover, so crime is low compared to Austin, right next door. Compared to Winnetka, a lot higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs