Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 09:48 PM

12 posts, read 54,939 times

Advertisements

After 3 years of living at Lakeshore drive, we finally decided to buy a condo (150-170K) in suburbs. We work in downtown and would have to take the METRA. We're contemplating on the following deciding factors

>Preferred Areas: Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, Arlington Heights, Prospect Heights, Palatine.
Q: Is there any site where I can find how safe the neighbourhood is and any information on the schools nearby?
>With my price range (150-170K) for a 2BRoom/2Bath condo what is the probability of finding a decent condo

All help greatly appreciated. If anyone is selling their condo I would be interested to take a look

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 11:05 PM

94 posts, read 466,838 times
For that price in this neck of the woods will get you a condo at that price no problem.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:49 AM

228 posts, read 665,066 times
Not downtown Arlington Heights though, not for that size/space for that price for the new condos.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:37 AM

12 posts, read 54,939 times
Thanks.

ANy site where I find how safe a neighbourhood is?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:45 AM

532 posts, read 1,231,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
Not downtown Arlington Heights though, not for that size/space for that price for the new condos.

There are currently 221 condos on the market in Arlington Heights under 175k

Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 25,499 times
Default Arlington Heights

Arlington Heights is pretty nice and safe. You can always call the town's police department and they can give you more info on crime stats.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:25 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,771 times
Default Your Towns List Implicates Huge Traffic Congestion

Dear Friends:

The towns that you mention in your 'OP' are communities that have overwhelming traffic congestion during rush hour times. So why not choose a town such as Harvard, Illinois and then commute via the METRA railroad? Since I am a senior citizen, I cannot answer your questions about schools. However, I would like to suggest that you visit the web site of 'Fannie Mae' or 'Freddie Mac'. On those web sites - - even the HUD web site - - view the "REO" listings. REO means "Real Estate Owned" (by Freddie Mac) for example. REO homes have gone to auction but have not been sold. And so the ownership returns to Freddie Mac. These listed homes are similar to foreclosed properties and might be available for a cheaper price than the current condo markets. The caveat here is that with REO homes, it is possible that the cosmetics of such a condo are in poor condition. So one has to weigh the factor of whether 'you' want to invest money into such property. But rebuilding the cosmetics is usually fun for a single person or young married couple. Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass,
Cortland, IL &
Wheaton, IL

Old 09-14-2007, 10:19 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Dear HOWELL_STREET,

We need to keep in mind that "arzhan" might be quite young, and quite frankly, Harvard is a TREK from downtown Chicago despite the fact that the Union Pacific Northwest line does indeed terminate in Harvard. Not only that, Harvard is far more rural in character than towns such as Arlington Heights, Palatine, Schaumburg, etc. I'd only suggest the Harvard option for certain kinds of people, and judging from what the OP wrote, he probably doesn't fit into that demographic, at least not right now. He needs that halfway medium between a Harvard and living in Chicago, and I'd say he's right on the money with the towns that he's looking at. These towns still have "nightlife", high-end shopping, and other amenities that are probably not available in Harvard. Not to mention it's a much shorter ride to downtown Chicago than from Harvard. Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
Dear Friends:

The towns that you mention in your 'OP' are communities that have overwhelming traffic congestion during rush hour times. So why not choose a town such as Harvard, Illinois and then commute via the METRA railroad? Since I am a senior citizen, I cannot answer your questions about schools. However, I would like to suggest that you visit the web site of 'Fannie Mae' or 'Freddie Mac'. On those web sites - - even the HUD web site - - view the "REO" listings. REO means "Real Estate Owned" (by Freddie Mac) for example. REO homes have gone to auction but have not been sold. And so the ownership returns to Freddie Mac. These listed homes are similar to foreclosed properties and might be available for a cheaper price than the current condo markets. The caveat here is that with REO homes, it is possible that the cosmetics of such a condo are in poor condition. So one has to weigh the factor of whether 'you' want to invest money into such property. But rebuilding the cosmetics is usually fun for a single person or young married couple. Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass,
Cortland, IL &
Wheaton, IL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs