Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:49 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,040,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Borders closing shop will be huge for alot of these neighborhoods that already have empty big box retail space from large retailers going under in the recent year or two. Borders usually locates there stores in the most prime locations, so the empty big box locations will be highly visible. It will be interesting to see how the closing of border's will affect the appearance of the commercial landscape in alot of neighborhoods that have already lost other big box retailers.
The Deals next store would lose business if Borders shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 05:53 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,318,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
And because not enough people buy books at Borders. People might buy something from the cafe and read a book in the cafe but we don't buy it.
And you wonder why people are not getting paid more. Everyone wants something for free.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,918,457 times
The US has a surplus of retail space. As more and more retail moves to the internet, expect a lot more empty storefronts. So far the Borders in Oak Park is staying open, but its probably just a matter of time before the whole chain shuts down.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:42 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,318,274 times
I was just surmising on this earlier today: decades ago, a lot of stuff was sold via catalog. Delivered to your house. I remember my Mom ordering stuff from Sears and Wards catalogs. Then the catalog died, and people went to stores to buy everything. Now, we are full circle back to buying everything on the Internet (online catalogs).

Yes, it is very sad that Borders are closing. But just underperforming stores. We are losing the St. Charles one as well as a lot of other retail and restaurants on the east side. It is a bad scene out there.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:24 AM

759 posts, read 3,138,321 times
I've never been a big fan of Borders. The Barnes and Noble store near my house has better deals, and a dedicated children's area which my kids love. The prices at Borders are also higher than B and N (even with membership). Has anyone bought a DVD at Borders lately? $29.99 for a movie is steep.

I like going to bookstores (wish there were more used bookstores around), but unless it's a bestseller, the chances of finding an older book (except for ficiton) are slim. It's easier and quicker to go to Amazon and order it significantly cheaper.

I wonder if this will affect the Nook? Does anyone have one?

Old 02-20-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I've never been a big fan of Borders. The Barnes and Noble store near my house has better deals, and a dedicated children's area which my kids love. The prices at Borders are also higher than B and N (even with membership).
Both Barnes And Noble and Borders sell books at the list price unless you get them from the discount rack. The prices are no different.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 AM

14 posts, read 23,462 times
Talking Orland Borders

I went to the Orland Borders yesterday and it was packed! The line was very long-about 30 people. I think it had to do with people finding out Borders was closing. But Orland is not so I don't know why it affected that one!
I like Borders because I get very good coupons online. I still haven't started Nook yet-I like the feel of a book in my hand lol.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 AM

151 posts, read 412,603 times
I'm surprised they would close the Matteson store and not the Highland one. When I was in high school I used to drive all the way from Park Forest to Highland to hang out at that store and browse, because Matteson had no decent bookstores, just crappy B. Dalton's and Crown Books locations long since gone. When the Matteson one opened I thought it was awesome, much bigger and less cramped than the Highland store.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:42 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,240,187 times
My fiancee and I went to the Borders on Kedzie (Jersey) and Lincoln today. Parking was an absolute bear, and it was a madhouse inside. Strangely, most of the kids stuff looked ransacked. I wonder why that was first to go.

Everything else looked fairly stocked still. I was going to pick up some CDs, but they were still super expensive, even after 20% off. Maybe they'll go down in price as the weeks go by?

Anyways, my fiancee found some good 40% off books. Maybe we'll see whats left in the coming weeks.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeTheRustBelt View Post
I'm surprised they would close the Matteson store and not the Highland one.
I know, right?

I talked to some employees at Borders in Matteson and they thought their store was gonna be one of the stores that made it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeTheRustBelt View Post
When the Matteson one opened I thought it was awesome, much bigger and less cramped than the Highland store.
It's still bigger and less cramped than the Highland store. Or maybe I should say "was".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs