Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Definitely places like Hinsdale and the North Shore suburbs have higher housing prices and are wealthier than Naperville as a whole. That being said, Naperville also literally has 10-20 times the population of those suburbs - if you took certain neighborhoods in Naperville (i.e. downtown Naperville), they would be the same size or larger as those other suburbs and would be in the same income/housing price stratosphere. What makes Naperville unusual is that it's a city of a large size (140,000+ at this point) where virtually everyone is at least upper middle class going up to very wealthy, while this isn't the case with similarly-sized cities in the area (i.e. Aurora and Joliet, which have clearly defined pockets of poverty). If you look at the highest income cities with populations over 50,000 in the United States (see the last list in the link below), Naperville comes in at #10 (and you can deduce from the list that it's #1 for cities with populations over 65,000 since every city ahead of it is smaller than that size).

Highest-income places in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good points Frank!

Old 07-26-2007, 04:55 PM

12 posts, read 23,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl78 View Post
It has NO diversity. Crime is also very low.
I see a common thread here. It's very obvious.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:02 PM

94 posts, read 466,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Definitely places like Hinsdale and the North Shore suburbs have higher housing prices and are wealthier than Naperville as a whole. That being said, Naperville also literally has 10-20 times the population of those suburbs - if you took certain neighborhoods in Naperville (i.e. downtown Naperville), they would be the same size or larger as those other suburbs and would be in the same income/housing price stratosphere. What makes Naperville unusual is that it's a city of a large size (140,000+ at this point) where virtually everyone is at least upper middle class going up to very wealthy, while this isn't the case with similarly-sized cities in the area (i.e. Aurora and Joliet, which have clearly defined pockets of poverty). If you look at the highest income cities with populations over 50,000 in the United States (see the last list in the link below), Naperville comes in at #10 (and you can deduce from the list that it's #1 for cities with populations over 65,000 since every city ahead of it is smaller than that size).

Highest-income places in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For its size naperville definatly has an impressive income. How ever naperville is no where near the feeling of cities like greenwich, ct ; or cupertino,ca in marin county.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:14 AM

774 posts, read 2,495,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
For its size naperville definatly has an impressive income. How ever naperville is no where near the feeling of cities like greenwich, ct ; or cupertino,ca in marin county.
I definitely agree with that. Places like Greenwich are more comparable to Lake Forest or the other North Shore suburbs.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:55 PM

69 posts, read 321,575 times
I lived in Naperville for 12 years & unfortunately had to move out of state due to a transfer for a new job. I would move back there in a heartbeat!!! It is all the great stuff you read about & more! Yes there are affluent people there, but like the other posts said, not like Deerfield, Lake Forest, Hinsdale, etc. You will meet peoplke living in apartments, duplexes, condos & townhouses as well. There is something for everyone and yes, there is ethnic diversity. There is a large Indian & Asian population. My kids learned all about their cultures in school as the parents came in during various holidays to educate them. Everyone that I have met that has moved away from Naperville would move back as well!! I wish it was me! The downtown is awesome!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 AM

9 posts, read 25,058 times
By downstate standards Naperville and Aurora are more like long running jokes. Naperville is one of the biggest cities in the state, but acts like it is only a town of about 50k. Don't get me wrong! Naperville is OK, and has a good standard of living, but come off it. It is nothing more than houses, schools, and strip malls. I don't even think Naperville has an actual mall. The river front is nice, but then one in Peoria blows it out of the water. The downtown are is cool too, but I think the shopping in Peoria is far superior. For downstate visitors it is really boring to say the least. We are used to Peoria, and Springfield which are big Illinois cities, and act like them. Sure they have problems, but all REAL cities do! Peoria has the biggest economy, outside of Chicago. Naperville prides itself on it's schools, and libraries. That is all well and good, but shouldn't the third largest city in Illinois have more to do than that. Naperville has some nice neighborhoods, but that is where it ends. I am just a firm believer that if you are a big town, then you should act like it!! Aurora is more of a city than Naperville in my opinion. I think that Bloomginton-Normal and Champaign-Urbana have more to do than Naperville does; and they are much smaller cities. Naperville may be a nice place to live, but is not diverse, and rather uninteresting. I'm sure if all of the affluent tax money in Peoria, and Springfield went to fund schools and libraries, then we would be even better than Naperville. I know you are young, but come on Naperville, and act like a real city.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves View Post
By downstate standards Naperville and Aurora are more like long running jokes. Naperville is one of the biggest cities in the state, but acts like it is only a town of about 50k. Don't get me wrong! Naperville is OK, and has a good standard of living, but come off it. It is nothing more than houses, schools, and strip malls. I don't even think Naperville has an actual mall. The river front is nice, but then one in Peoria blows it out of the water. The downtown are is cool too, but I think the shopping in Peoria is far superior. For downstate visitors it is really boring to say the least. We are used to Peoria, and Springfield which are big Illinois cities, and act like them. Sure they have problems, but all REAL cities do! Peoria has the biggest economy, outside of Chicago. Naperville prides itself on it's schools, and libraries. That is all well and good, but shouldn't the third largest city in Illinois have more to do than that. Naperville has some nice neighborhoods, but that is where it ends. I am just a firm believer that if you are a big town, then you should act like it!! Aurora is more of a city than Naperville in my opinion. I think that Bloomginton-Normal and Champaign-Urbana have more to do than Naperville does. Naperville may be a nice place to live, but is not diverse, and rather uninteresting. I'm sure if all of the affluent tax money in Peoria, and Springfield went to fund schools and libraries, then we would be even better than Naperville. I know you are young, but come on Naperville, and act like a real city.
Welcome back Llama!

No, downstate cities do not have more to do than Naperville. Not even close. I will admit that Peoria's waterfront is nice, but thats about it. Besides, Naperville's waterfront is more user-friendly, even complete with miles of trails, quaint restaurants, parks, swimming quarry, paddleboat lake and covered bridges. That right there is better in itself. I wont mention the nightlife, cuisine, etc. Hands down, Naperville is a far superior city to Peoria. Dont take offense, just look at what both cities offer, and Naperville offers more.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 AM

9 posts, read 25,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Welcome back Llama!

No, downstate cities do not have more to do than Naperville. Not even close. I will admit that Peoria's waterfront is nice, but thats about it. Besides, Naperville's waterfront is more user-friendly, even complete with miles of trails, quaint restaurants, parks, swimming quarry, paddleboat lake and covered bridges. That right there is better in itself. I wont mention the nightlife, cuisine, etc. Hands down, Naperville is a far superior city to Peoria. Dont take offense, just look at what both cities offer, and Naperville offers more.
Well...um...not sure who llama is, but I know I'm not. But hello anyway!

Steve-O. I have been Naperville dozens of times, and Peoria has far more to see, and do. Naperville is a suburb! Peoria is it's own city! Naperville has more than Decatur, and maybe Moline. Maybe you should visit. You are confusing the fact that Naperville is in closer proximity to Chicago than Peoria. Just because it is near Chicago doesn't mean that the city of Naperville has more to do.

The river walk in Naperville is laughable to that of Peoria. The Illinois River is far larger and has TONS more than the Fox River. It is simply a matter of size, no argument there to be had. Peoria has museums, universities, junior colleges, best downstate shopping, some of the best parks and trails in the state, the biggst civic center outsdie of Chicago complete with its own orchestra, and opera. Nightlife, plz! I will just not even go down that road, because I don't think I could stop laughing. History galore!! The list goes on and on, and when you actually take some time to explore the city of Peoria, you will find that it blows Naperville away. You can't even do anything on the Fox River. It is nice, but it reminds me of the Pekin Lagoon area. Pekin is a town of 35k. Not over 150k. Like is said. Naperville is only a big city by size. Not by accomodations. Peoria is far more historical, far more beautiful, far more active, far more exciting, far more everything. Why do you think the Peoria riverfront is packed full of weekend Chicago people? Plus, we have the most impressive skyline in the state, outside of Chicago. I'm not descrediting the fact that Naperville has a high standard of living, but then again, it is geared for cookie-cutter, non diverse families. It is the attitude you have towards Peoria that turns Naperville into the joke down here. Hinsdale is a suburb. Naperville is a city. But yet Naperville acts like Hinsdale. It doesn't make sense. It is like a 40 year old acting like a 20. In modern culture I think that Naperville could be seen as a bit of a 'teen-bopper' in comparision to most downstate cities. Give me something that Naperville has that Peoria doesn't and then we will talk. Have a nice day!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Here is where youre wrong on so many aspects: Naperville IS a city. Bigger than Peoria. Naperville has convention halls, more hotels than Peoria, more golf courses, more shopping, more dining, etc, etc. How is it not more accomodating than Peoria? As for the waterfront, again, yes Peorias is nice, but I think Napervilles is nicer. And youre also wrong about the Fox River, thats not even in Naperville. I dont know what town youre referring to, but the Fox flows through Aurora, Geneva, St. Charles, etc. "Cant do anything on the Fox?" What on earth are you smoking? There is swimming, fishing, boating. They used to hold speed boat races on the Fox in Aurora for Petes sake!

Go for the nightlife, anyone with a brain knows that Naperville's nightlife is MUCH better than Peorias. Last time I was down there, on a Friday night, downtown was a ghost town. Unlike Naperville, which is packed 7 days a week! (Naperville Restaurants Bars Clubs Entertainment) Peoria is more active? haha Maybe in the moving truck rentals, for those wanting OUT! LOL

And how can you think Peoria is more beautiful? The riverfront is nice, and the skyline is semi-decent, but thats where it stops. Napervilles homes are nicer, its schools are nicer, the neighborhoods and shopping areas are nicer, etc.

As for history, Naperville is PLENTY historic. Ever heard of the Naperville Settlement? You should look into that kind of stuff before you go bashing a superior city.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 AM

202 posts, read 270,769 times
Naperville doesn't have the old money affluence/atmosphere of the North Shore communities, but it's definitely not plain-folks working class, by any stretch. I echo the very white bread blandness, lack of personality, etc. that some have pointed to.

It does nothing for me, and IMO does little to set itself apart from other socioeconomically similar communities, except in size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs