Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:33 PM

41 posts, read 409,313 times

Advertisements

There is part of Hoffman Estates near I-90 which comes under Barrington Schools - definetely worth checking.

Barrington has one of the best schools in the area and being closed to I-90 will definetely help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 05:52 PM

198 posts, read 822,069 times
lpny is right on many accounts. In many of the suburbs mentioned it would be hard to find a 4BR 2.5ba home. They do exist but watch the schools and locations because that is often why they are at 3 BR prices. NorthEast Wacker from 290 could take her 10 minutes just to get through the city unless she can take lower Wacker. There is a water taxi part of the year from the train stations. My husband and I commuted from Elmhurst for many years both taking the train and driving and the train was by far quicker but you have to add on the walk to work after the train ride. Elmhurst's train goes into Oglive which is on Madison & Canal if you have your map handy, you will have a hard time finding a traditional 2story 4BR2.5BA home there and you should forget any notions you might have about getting a new home, these will be 60's & 70's large split levels with the occasional 2-story colonial that needs work or large ranch home. The same holds true for south Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, LaGrange, and Western Springs. Oak Park is a great location for both of you but you will have to settle if you chose to do that, the older homes in your price range just won't have the bedroom space and baths you want and since it is so close to the city plus a very nice community the prices there are high.
If she is working way up on North or East Wacker and her company does not have a shuttle like AON does, then it looks like you are both driving. 290 is brutal so for you especially the backroads are the best option. Having driven that route many years, Cermak runs fairly well as does Ogden which curves north into the city right about where your work is situated. Ogden opens the possibility of Clarendon Hills. One town no one has mentioned is Darien which is just north of I-55 and just west of Route 83 which would be a better commuting option to north/east Wacker than I-290 and you could take Plainfield road which angles north if you didn't want to take the expressway (the westmont train station is also very convenient to most of the Darien homes - it goes into Union Station as does LaGrange, Clarendon, Riverside, and Hinsdale). There are actually many 2 story 4BR 2.5Ba homes in Darien on the market under 500K in a very good school district (most are zoned for Hinsdale High School District 86). You still don't get a new home but the ones close to 500K are usually updated and there are many at the 400K price point. From a realtor's perspective, I believe this town is your most affordable option closest to work with good schools. You could go further south to the Orland area if you want that newer home but you won't get a better school district, just a newer home and a longer commute. The beauty of your situation is that you have much more time to scout the area than most transferees. I would be more than willing to send you everything that meets your criteria in multiple areas if you wanted so that you could see for yourself what you get in all the areas people have suggested. Just let me know if I can be of further assistance and good luck with your search.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 AM

55 posts, read 175,049 times
How about Countryside/LaGrange Highlands? How are schools there?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:00 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,493 times
Default "richb" Has A Very Good Idea, Above

Dear Friends:

In one of the above threads, 'RICHB' suggested living in the Munster, Indiana area. We have a family friend that lives in Chesterton, Indiana and takes to "SOUTH SHORE ELECTRIC RR" to work each day to downtown Chicago.
I rode on that RR system, just once, when I was a boy many years ago. So it may not be now - called the same name as above. However, that RR system still operates along the south shore of Lake Michigan - - with passenger service between Chicago and let's say a terminal point somewhere in the Gary - Munster - Chesterton area of Indiana. I don't know exactly where it starts. / finishes.
Riding the South Shore Electric would then give you a great transfer connection to all of the transportation hubs in the 'downtown' city of Chicago areas. And there are MANY, Many trains & bus systems through-out downtown Chicago.
Will that work for you? I don't know. However, please investigate this suggestion as a possibility.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Wheaton, IL &
Cortland, IL

Old 08-12-2007, 12:49 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southfan123 View Post
How about Countryside/LaGrange Highlands? How are schools there?
The La Grange Highlands school district (106) is very good. And La Grange Highlands is a really nice area with quiet neighborhoods. Personally I wouldn't live in Countryside with a family. It's not as safe as the towns around it and the middle school in district 105 is terrible. There's a reason houses in Countryside are less expensive.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,476 times
Why not move to the north west side of chicago. Oriole Park School is one of the best public grammer schools in the state. You could surely find a home in that price range too. The train is walking distance away and the commute would not be bad at all.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:30 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:35 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,531 times
Orland Park might be a good possibility for you. Excellent school system, multiple commuter train stations to the city, and you should be able to get a nice 4 bedroom home in your price range there.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:09 AM

Move is still imminent and wanted to update on original post. Trains will not be an option for me, have to drive into the city. Will still be working on West Roosevelt. Can go as high as 550K on the house, but need 4br. Schools and travel time most important factors.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 PM

Any help for a guy who has to drive to the city? Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs