Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,906,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Some are absolutely gorgeous - but most aren't a fit. She specifically requested a property with 2 or MORE acres.

And actually, no real concrete requirements regarding the house itself - not age, not style, not bedroom (amount or location of master) or bath, no basement or garage requirements mentioned ... nothing except one of three locations, a price and a size requirement of 2+ acres.

So, being as how so little was said about the house iteself, I would guess that a smaller parcel (under 2 acres) is potentially a deal breaker.
Yeah, true. I was just making a comment about how nice they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
Default Thank You!

I actually found a house she should fall in love with. If she likes it her great-uncle will go look at it and give us an opinion as to the general condition and worth. He will have list of specifics I want him to check. I might have her uncle take a look too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
You are not currently going to find a huge 500 property glut of homes to choose from that are currently on the market in flossmoor, olympia fields, or homewood. But, you will find a quality selection of very nice properties with nice size wooded lots well within that price range to choose from.

Here are some great examples of nice properties currently listed on the market within, above, and below that price point.

Olympia Fields:

Lot Size: 25,264 sq ft / 0.58 acres
Pro-Team Has Illinois Homes Listed Online&

Lot Size: 43,560 sq ft / 1.00 acres
25 Graymoor Ln Olympia Fields, IL 60461 - Real Estate | CENTURY 21 (http://www.century21.com/realestatelistings/OlympiaFields-IL-60461-25GraymoorLn-35019694 - broken link)

Flossmoor:

Lot Size: 87,120 sq ft / 2.00 acres

Lot size: 90,166 sq ft / 2.07 acres

Lot Size: 52,272 sq ft / 1.20 acres
3 EDEN OAKS Ln Flossmoor, IL 60422 - Real Estate | CENTURY 21

Homewood:

Lot Size: 82,328 sq ft / 1.89 acres

Lot Size: 40,075 sq ft / 0.92 acres

Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 AM

What exactly are you fishing for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Price is always an issue. Everyone - no matter who - has a price ceiling.

Could she go up a couple hundred thousand?

What about $761,000? What about $1,021,942?

She's looking for a very small needle in a ginormous haystack. If her price truly isn't a concern,and she's only interested in those 3 towns, I would highly advise that she becomes pro-active and approaches home owners directly of properties that seem to fit all of her needs.

Usually, with a little bit of work and a little luck, you can usually find what you're looking for. Or at least I've been able to.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:19 AM

Is there a question here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Price is no issue? Wow she must be rich! Tell her to raze a few homes in the Flossmoor Estates subdivision, and go before the village to have the razed lots rezoned into one giant lot for her use. Since price is no issue, this should be no problem at all. It might cost her about $5,000,000 to buy and raze several homes but hey, price is no issue, right?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,450,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Is there a question here?
Yes I have several questions.

1) If price is no issue, then why did you not say that in the first place?

2) If your "daughter" is really looking for a large parcel of land in these three towns (not known for large parcels of residential land) then why have you not posted anything that you think she would like?

3) If your "daughter" has an unlimited amount of money to spend--since price is no issue--and can only live in these three towns you mentioned, then really, what is stopping her from buying several homes on a few acres and razing them to build her dream home and a few horse stables?

Seriously, why not? You act like I brought that up as some sort of joke. I didn't. There have been many lots in various areas where people may have razed 10 homes, combined the lots, and built their dream home with several acres of open land. The only thing they had to do was to get it approved by town/village/city...So why shouldn't your daughter do this since, as you stated, "price is no issue"? It should be NO PROBLEM at all.

4) Can you answer these questions?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM

829 posts, read 2,076,554 times
I think the OP was asking more of a hypothetical scenario, as I believe the OP stated. Depending on what section of the different towns, lot sizes in flossmoor, homewood, and olympia fields range from standard size subdivision lots all of the way up to 2-4 acres. I think most people would consider the lot sizes in the area to be very large for a chicagoland suburb that is still close enough in to be on the chicago street grid. Especially since most of the lots in the area are heavily wooded with mature trees. The numerous golf courses and nature preserves also add to the wide open feel. I see deer fairly regular in my yard and neighborhood. Slightly further out Crete, which is more rural suburban has plenty of homes on 2-10 acre lots. But, is much less wooded as much of that land was farmland.

Last edited by allen2323; 03-22-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 AM

16,864 posts, read 14,221,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I think the OP was asking more of a hypothetical scenario, as I believe the OP stated. Depending on the section of the different towns, lot sizes in flossmoor, homewood, and olympia fields range from standard size subdivision lots all of the way up to 2-4 acres. I think most people would consider the lot sizes in the area to be fairly large for a chicagoland suburb still on the chicago street grid. Especially since most of the lots in the area are heavily wooded with mature trees. Nearby crete, which is a more rural suburban has lots of homes on 2-10 acre lots. But, is much less wooded.
No, it wasn't presented as a hypothetical scenario at all.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:31 PM

In regards to aesthetics and privacy. I would say most people in homewood, flossmoor, or olympia fields would consider a home on a heavily wooded 1/2 acre or larger lot to be a large lot and more than suitable. We aren't talking about farmland here. Homes with larger .5 to 1 acre lots are the rule not the exception in many parts of town. The affluent graymoor subdivision in olympia fields for example. And some of the largest residential poperties in the area do go up to 4 acres. I can only imagine the water bill and landscaping cost for a home on a 2+ acre lot.

Examples of nice homes in Olympia Fields with more common .5 to 1 acre lots that can basically be found anywhere you look throughout the community.

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-1.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-3.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-5.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-6.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-7.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-8.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-11-2-.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-11.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-10.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-9.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-15.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-16.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-17.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-18.jpg

Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Examples of properties on 2 plus acre lots in Olympia Fields. Far less common.

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-31132010150000_aa.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-31132010080000_aa.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-31134000070000_aa.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-31134000080000_aa.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-31231010330000_aa.jpg

Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields-31241010660000_aa.jpg

Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,450,544 times
Wow allen...those are VERY nice houses...im sure some new posters (who will probably join this month or the next month) will inquire SPECIFICALLY about those homes wanting to scoop them up or about Flossmoor, OF, and Homewood in general and absolutely nowhere else! Ahh, I can see it now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs