Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:08 AM

47 posts, read 127,555 times

Advertisements

Hi-

Hubby's got a few irons in the fire and is getting interest from a company in Schaumburg. Scouting areas and could use some help narrowing things down before I really get into looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

looking for approx 30 min commute (or less)
approx 250k or slightly above
large lots or small acreage if possible
schools not important but taxes might be

Might be hard to get everything but hoping to narrow all the choices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 02:06 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Schaumburg itlsef might be a place to look!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:23 AM

759 posts, read 3,145,447 times
Schaumburg (great library and park district)
North of Schaumburg: Barrington, Lake Zurich, parts of Hoffman Estates
East: Elk Grove Village (west of Route 53), Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights

I cant' think of any towns I'd recommend west of here within 30 minute drive --Streamwood is bordering here and has some gorgeous homes at a steal, but the school system (dist 46) is so horrible, that the property values have plummeted. It's much easier to sell if the school system is better.

You also have to narrow down what you want in a town.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Large lot or "acreage" (even small) for $250k within 30 minutes of Schaumburg is almost certain to have some glaring and unremediable problems. Schaumburg itself is pretty uniformly suburban. Traffic to even nearby areas that may be a bit more rural can be quite heavy. If a more country feel is important the trade-offs and budget are going to be big factors.

When it comes to taxes the desire for a large lot is really going to work against you too. Short of finding something that is sandwiched between a frontage road and an expressway pretty much any assessor will value large lots as "luxury".

As others have hinted, in areas with poorly rated schools the tax rated tend to be higher. You can expect taxes on a $250k home in a desirable area to be LOWER than those in are where the schools are a mess. Plan on about $5000 a year as a baseline -- areas with high average real estste values and low tax rates may save you a bit (still budget for at least $3500/year at $250k) while those with crummy schools and high rates might close in on $6500.

Offsetting our high taxes for real estate our income tax rates on individuals are flat and low...

Old 03-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the info - it's helpful. The tax situation is much different in IL than where we're at now and I suspected a little of what you all told me. I really don't want to be in a suburban tract nor in the middle of a town even if it's really very cute and desireable.

We homeschool so schools aren't really important but if it affects resale and tax valuation then I guess it's important. :-)

I was hoping to be able to do some small-scale farming and small animals which I'm afraid we'd run into problems w HOA in a development w larger lots.

Lots to think about - thanks for the insight!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,764 times
Definitely look in Schaumburg and parts of Hoffman Estates.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:19 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
A point on taxes. They are lower in Cook County. Schaumburg lies in that 10 mile wide strip of that county that stretches west of O'Hare. Go outside that and you are in Lake or DuPage, with much higher taxes.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
If schools aren't important, check out Algonquin. More home for the $, but higher taxes may negate that.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Thanks all - been checking out Realtor.com with the infor you've all posted.

I do have an edit now though.

Hubby says actual plant is in Des Plains, I looked at Google and it seems that can change things - I imagine traffic is going to much more of an issue?

I may have to start a new thread regarding Des Plains, but thanks for all your help!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiz1 View Post
I may have to start a new thread regarding Des Plains, but thanks for all your help!
Do a search of the forum. Des Plaines has been covered before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs