Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:13 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,613 times

Advertisements

I am newly divorced and looking for a 2 or 3 br townhome in the Schaumburg school district. I have two small children--a boy and a girl.

From driving around and perusing the real estate websites, the most affordable 3 br seems to be in the Subdivision of Castle Rock (however, no garage). I am looking for something under 200,000. Does anyone live here? Is it relatively safe?

Alternatively, I would also consider a 2 br and I would put a sleeper sofa in the living room for myself, since the 2 br with garage seem to be in all pretty quiet and safe subdivisions.

Does anyone have any input on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 01:02 PM

474 posts, read 2,538,935 times
Default Why Schaumburg IL?

Dear Friends:

Would you graciously permit me to be frank? Don't settle in Schaumburg, IL. Why? Because the apartment rental is very expensive and also new homes,. too.
But laying that aside is the huge traffic congestion. Schaumburg is similar to Silicone Valley in CA. The town of Schaumburg is loaded with big corporations such as Motorola.
Nothing wrong with Motorola at all, but with a huge number of employees for just Motorola, the truck and auto traffic is just terrible. In a sense, Schaumburg has become the 'new Chicago'.
I feel as if I am an authority about this since I was employed with Motorola for 26 years. Not always at Schaumburg, but for many years at their subdivision in near Arlington Heights. Of course with that Motorola position in Arlington Heights, I had to drive through Schaumburg.
The school districts are all messed up in Schaumburg - - some being overlapped by adjacent communities.
People on the forum have been talking about Schaumburg, perhaps last week. So perhaps you can find those comments on past pages of the forum or even in the archives. 'Hope this helps you?

Best Regards,

Carter Glass
Wheaton, IL

Old 08-06-2007, 02:06 PM

61 posts, read 301,254 times
A 2-3 bedroom townhouse for under $200K is going to be slightly difficult to find in Schaumburg. And if you do, chances are it's not the best neighborhood. I rented in Schaumburg for years and looked for the same type of thing as you for a couple of years, finding nothing that would suit. All of the townhouses I looked at that were around 180-190K were in bad, not safe neighborhoods. I have a small child and there was no way I could make it in Schaumburg in that price range.

I hope you can find something to meet your needs, but just be a little cautious of anything under 200K in Schaumburg that is over a 1br. There are a LOT of neighborhoods in those price ranges that look decent during the day, but get a little shady at night. You don't want to get caught in something like that.

Good luck!
Best Wishes,
Joy

Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 23,243 times
Hi!

I've lived in Castle rock on and off for over 6 years (my mom owns a place there). It's fine and yes, its relatively safe. They weeded out a bit of crime, a and the association started cracking down and raising prices.

The good thing is there is a small little store across the street (and I think a KinderCare? )from the subdivision and you are not far from anything. Mainly, Kohls, Target, Walmart, Dominics, Panera...etc. The elementary school is also about 10 minutes from there down Knollwood. The train station is also not that far.

You can generally get a townhouse in Castle Rock for around 170. That's two bedrooms, one and half bath and a finished basement.

The only thing that sucks are the association fees (I feel these are a bit high), but that comes with any town home.

Now, here is the not so good. The apartment complex down the street I think it's something Villages is a bit of a slum. Do NOT Rent there. Also, Knollwood is a bit of a speed trap since the speed limit is 25 which for that long stretch of road is pretty slow.

Really, I would say go ahead and take a look into Castle Rock. It's surrounded by houses (the houses behind the complex are so pretty) , and I wouldn't worry about your safety there. Places Like Weathersfield Way on the other hand... you may want to stay away from.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:03 PM

5 posts, read 30,115 times
Default Carriage Homes of Summit Place

Hiya Sky,

Last year we bought a 2br 2bath carriage home (four units per building, two bottom two on top with four garages in the front) for $198k in the Carriage Homes of Summit Place.
We had rented there for three years before buying and decided we liked the layouts, they're more like houses than townhomes.
The community is located northeast of Roselle & Wise roads on the streets named Manchester Circel/Court, Glouchester Court, Brunswick Circle, Drake Circle, Boston Circle, Mallard Circle/Court and Westchester Circle.
Built between 1985 and 87 each building still looks pretty good.

If you haven't had a townhome before, just a small warning about Home Owner's Associations: during the times when you expect them to help you, like if there is a leak anywhere in the building, they (the property management company, hired to manage and maintain the buldings) will do virtually nothing and tell you that it is your responsibility before they know anything. Also there is usually a Waiver of Subrogation in the declarations of the HOA, this that if damage to your unit is caused by something happening in another unit you cannot make any claims against the owners, the association or the property management company. I'd advise talking a lot with an insurance agent about being covered in every way possible if you buy a townhome or condo.

Hope this helps!! Good Luck!!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:17 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,613 times
Thanks for the advice everyone, I already live in Schaumburg, so I plan to stay there, I want School District 54 which also covers parts of Elk Grove village, Streamwood, Roselle, and Hanvoer Park. Hanover Park is definintely out, the parts of Streamwood that encompass District 54 have higher taxes and generally run about $210 for a 2 br townhome. I had never heard of the Carriage Homes of Summit Place but I drove by and they do look nice.

[b]Legend of the Hawk,[b][I'm not sure what you mean when you say to stay away from Weathersfield Way--is that a subdivision? i've never heard of it.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Hoffman Estates High School and how it compares with Schaumburg High?

Old 08-12-2007, 01:01 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Also, does anyone have any experience with Hoffman Estates High School and how it compares with Schaumburg High?
They're pretty much the same but Schaumburg HS has better test scores, slightly more students attending college after high school, and a better athletic program. Hoffman Estates HS is more diverse and a little smaller (2200 students vs 2600 at Schaumburg).

Old 09-23-2007, 12:47 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
Are there really bad parts of Schaumburg?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 AM

20 posts, read 100,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Are there really bad parts of Schaumburg?
I was looking in SHEFFIELD MANOR in Schaumburg and a couple of residents were complaning about drug problems and vandalism but that the association was trying to do soemthing about it.But this was a year ago and maybe things are better now....

Old 06-02-2014, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,958 times
Good evening all,

I want to help those who think they might want to move to Schaumburg. Please STAY away from Walnut/ Sheffield town homes! This is the worst area of Schaumburg ever! I am a teacher and I will not, and I repeat WILL not take my kids to the beautiful park behind my rental Every other word is F, B, N, etc!!!!! I have been told to leave the park if I do not like it.... How about this, I will move! But in the meantime, I need to entertain my children... and I am in control and will not let these hoodlums allow my kids to suffer! Sadly, this is Hoffman Park District! So, naturally, I contacted the PD and next step is the police. I am not going to let trash control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs