Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:05 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
And let's not forget exactly where Oak Park got the idea for permit parking:C.H.I.C.A.G.O.
Urm you are wrong there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
That's funny. I thought the lack of parking is why the city sucked - especially downtown and the North Side.
Chicago is way more than downtown and the North Side.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:41 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Chicago is way more than downtown and the North Side.
Umm.. Duh? I'm Urza freakin 216. I'm here to represent south side whiteboys. If it wasn't for me, someone reading the City-Data forums might think we don't even exist.

What, do you think the stork just magically dropped me off on someone's doorstep in the SOUTH suburbs? Or do think maybe, just maybe, my Polish bloodline has a history on the SOUTH side of the city - not the north side or downtown?

My Dad (r.i.p) was born and raised on the south side. Growing up, I used to visit his best friend since Kindergarten who lived in a trailer in Hegewisch on the south side. My dad worked for CPS for various different south side schools. He took me to work a lot growing up. The Museum of Science and Industry too.

Today, I have a buddy in Hyde Park (not because he goes to the university). And yeah, I drive there and park on the street in front of his house. No parking meters. It's pretty awesome. You know you're prabobly not on the north side when parking is free. This isn't to say that the south and west sides don't have those annoying parking meters too. The city is the city. Parking is usually cheaper on the south west sides than downtown and on the north side though.

The Metra doesn't even take me all the way to the north side. I pass through the south side and get off at the Randolf station downtown. I then walk to the Jackson Red Line station. If I'm driving to the north side, I take I-57 to the Dan Ryan and yep, what do you know, I have to pass through the South Side of the city first.

Last edited by urza216; 04-04-2011 at 06:52 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 AM

223 posts, read 757,409 times
What we usually did when we went out to downtown Oak Park was either

1) Use the Holley Court Parking Garage (not that expensive, especially compared to Chicago)

2) Park at the Oak Park Community Bank, (in front of Classic Cinemas) for free . Sometimes our movie would end at midnight, never had a problem...

Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,230 times
Does Oak Park offer parking for people who want to ride the Green Line and be gone for many hours? I tried looking some years ago, and wound up parking at the Desplaines Avenue lot on the Blue Line instead. I no longer remember what the problem was (short meter times, signs, permits required, whatever), but it gave the vibe that I'd be risking a ticket or a tow if I parked anywhere close to the CTA terminal. Perhaps I'll check it out again sometime and see if I can find something.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Does Oak Park offer parking for people who want to ride the Green Line and be gone for many hours? I tried looking some years ago, and wound up parking at the Desplaines Avenue lot on the Blue Line instead. I no longer remember what the problem was (short meter times, signs, permits required, whatever), but it gave the vibe that I'd be risking a ticket or a tow if I parked anywhere close to the CTA terminal. Perhaps I'll check it out again sometime and see if I can find something.
The Holley Court parking deck (just north of Lake St between Harlem and Marion) is close to the Harlem green line station. Nearby the Oak Park station is the Lake & Oak Park garage.

www.oak-park.us/.../parking/07.10.08_parking_FAQ_flyer_final.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Apparently they are trying to prevent casual encounters from bars. What a joke. Many of the suburbs might as well be some hick holy roller town in Iowa. The stupid parking restrictions is yet another reason why the suburbs suck.
The overnight parking ban was part of Oak Park's strategy to resist the "white flight" that had taken hold of the west side of Chicago starting in the 1950s. By the late 1960s, this unfortunate phenomenon had completely changed Austin and was creeping into east Oak Park, posing a very real threat to the Village. The Oak Park Regional Housing Center, ban on "for sale" signs, and anti-blockbusting ordinance were other things that were done in the Village late 1960s and early 1970s to "preserve diversity." These were pretty novel for the times, and very controversial.

Of course, it all ended up working pretty well. Compare Oak Park to its Chicago neighbor. Night and day difference!

Today, with that era but a distant memory and with Oak Park solidly affluent, people lack the appreciation for the ban that they once had. I'd bet many Oak Park residents don't even know why they have it. The ban does, however, make policing easier (cars up to no good stand out more) and ensures better snow plowing, so residents usually don't complain too loudly about it.

Many suburbs require a city sticker to park there overnight (Berwyn, Bridgeview, and Evergreen Park are three I know for sure) but in Oak Park, unless you are on a rare street with overnight permit parking, no one can park on the street, period, unless you call in. Each resident gets a few "passes" to park on the street each year, as I recall from living there.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
The overnight parking ban was part of Oak Park's strategy to resist the "white flight" that had taken hold of the west side of Chicago starting in the 1950s. By the late 1960s, this unfortunate phenomenon had completely changed Austin and was creeping into east Oak Park, posing a very real threat to the Village. The Oak Park Regional Housing Center, ban on "for sale" signs, and anti-blockbusting ordinance were other things that were done in the Village late 1960s and early 1970s to "preserve diversity." These were pretty novel for the times, and very controversial.

Of course, it all ended up working pretty well. Compare Oak Park to its Chicago neighbor. Night and day difference!

Today, with that era but a distant memory and with Oak Park solidly affluent, people lack the appreciation for the ban that they once had. I'd bet many Oak Park residents don't even know why they have it. The ban does, however, make policing easier (cars up to no good stand out more) and ensures better snow plowing, so residents usually don't complain too loudly about it.

Many suburbs require a city sticker to park there overnight (Berwyn, Bridgeview, and Evergreen Park are three I know for sure) but in Oak Park, unless you are on a rare street with overnight permit parking, no one can park on the street, period, unless you call in. Each resident gets a few "passes" to park on the street each year, as I recall from living there.
All good reasons for the Ban, IMO. The resistance to "white flight" is not something a lot of Chicago areas can claim... this is part of the history that I appreciate about Oak Park, they did it by strategically changing laws as oppose to creating violent mobs that resist integration or just leaving, and they have been better off for it. The easier policing is an added bonus for sure.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
I love the no overnight parking deal. Nobody parks their old junk cars or moving vans or commercial vehicles. It's great.
That's one positive thing that comes from that

Quote:
That's funny. I thought the lack of parking is why the city sucked - especially downtown and the North Side.
It's bad in Beverly and some parts of Ashburn...

Quote:
Today, I have a buddy in Hyde Park (not because he goes to the university). And yeah, I drive there and park on the street in front of his house. No parking meters. It's pretty awesome. You know you're prabobly not on the north side when parking is free. This isn't to say that the south and west sides don't have those annoying parking meters too. The city is the city. Parking is usually cheaper on the south west sides than downtown and on the north side though.
Interesting. I've been to Hyde Park many times and found streets jam packed near the university

Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Interesting. I've been to Hyde Park many times and found streets jam packed near the university
This is true. Maybe the dude don't really live in Hyde Park but says he does. Maybe Washington Park...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs