Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,883 times

Advertisements

need help please!!!

we are a family of 4 from hyde park in chicago. I recently got a job in rockford and will have to relocate there. Does anyone have any suggestions of a town/suburb thats about 45minute commute from rockford that still has good schools, restaurants, shopping, etc.

Moving from the vibrant, diverse and ecclectic neighborhood will definirely be a shock tou our system but if anyone can guide us to a place close enough would be great.

a friend suggested schuamburg or hoffman estates. what are those towns like and whats the commute like.

Thanks
Emeka1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 06:46 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Arlington Heights and Schaumburg are going to be more than 45 minutes from Rockford; its probably more like an hour or a little more. Throw in a little snow and its going to be awful. Sure its mostly highway (and a reverse commute to boot) but if diverse and eclectic are your biggest needs there isn't much else out there (oh sure someone will recommend the usual Oak Park and Evanston but those aren't any closer). You're better off living closer to Rockford if not right in town.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
It'll be hard to find something close to Rockford that has the vibrancy of Hyde Park. I know people who live in Huntley, Sycamore and South Beloit, though I know next to nothing about those places. Huntley has a lot of new construction, and there are probably some deals. My cousin lives in South Beloit and he has a huge house on a big lot. It was apparently pretty reasonably priced, but I think they did a lot of work to it. His wife is a whiz at decorating. I live in Elgin and that is the absolute furthest east I would recommend, but the U46 schools are not very good. It's probably the most diverse place you'd find within commuting distance. I don't know much about Rockford itself, but there do seem to be nice areas, along with some really awful ones.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,883 times
thanks for the feedback css9450. its much appreciated.how about hoffman estates? whats that like as a town? i mean schools, crime, diversity, etc. anyone???

Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
I think Hoffman is pretty standard American suburbia. If you stay on the western end and close to 90, you'll probably be an hour or more to Rockford.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
There's no point in living in Hoffman Estates. You might as well live in one of the identical suburbs around the edge of Rockford and save yourself an hour and half in the car every day.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,604 times
Your best bet is going to be a North Rockford suburb such as Loves Park or Rockton. These are the two nicer Rockford suburbs... You don't want to drive back to the Chicago suburbs...that would be a pain. Belvidere is OK but kind of decaying due to the auto plant shut down.

Stay away from South Beloit and Beloit WI. Beloit is literally and figuratively the anus of Wisconsin.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 AM

115 posts, read 231,556 times
Far southeast Rockford and the Village of Cherry Valley is nice, too. Very convenient to everything and pretty safe.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Rockford is not yet a suburb of Chicago, though it sometimes acts that way, touting its small airport which has some scheduled flights.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 PM

91 posts, read 293,930 times
I am from Hyde Park - and made the transition from city to suburbia. I left Crook County simply b/c it wasnt worth the high cost of living there ( I'd rather keep city sticker money, high sales tax, parking meter money etc in my pockets ) If I want the skyline - i can look at a postcard & as long as I have a car I can visit anytime...lol

The obvious: Rockford is about 90 minutes from Hyde Park at 3AM on any day. So its good that you are willing to move. Rockford is bigger than you think - and in terms of neighborhoods its surprisingly parallel to Chicago in many ways. Its an old town, and yes there are areas of old homes that havent been cared for. There are areas where poorer persons live & there are crime ridden areas too. BUT just like Chicago - there are areas that are nice - if nothing in the Rockford limits suit you...Loves Park & Cherry Valley are next door to Rockford & have well kept properties. Some are even on the lake and come with water rights & dock. Many people also flock to a suburb called Belvidere as it is filled with lots of newer homes & subdivisons. As mentioned above - the Huntley, Sugar Grove, Sycamore areas are nice too - newer homes and in this economy - you can find something big enough for your needs.

In regards to sights/ammenities- Rockford & the surrounding burbs have the same cookie cutter tract of store chains that every suburb outside of Cook County does. Being in Hyde Park -you dont know what its like to have a Walmart steps away from a Meijer thats kitty corner to a Lowes, thats a stop light down from a SAMS CLUB etc etc. The convenience of stores and LOW LOW prices the farther you get AWAY from the city will delight you. There arent as many independent/ ma & pa dining options as in Chicago - the coporate chains are virtually everywhere but its a small sacrifice.

Before you start contemplating living in ELGIN (KANE COUNTY) or SCHAUMBURG (which is still Crook County) try Rockford and its nearby areas out. Its NOT HYDE PARK - it wont have the same vibe or hustle/bustle. If you do need/want more of a city vibe - then you will have no choice that to make the commute - just remember what gas prices are doing these days.

In terms of schools - I'm a CPS graduate ( kenwood ) and think the public schools of the burbs outshine CPS any day of the week. Unlike the city - if youre not putting the kids in private school - they will still receive a good education & exposure to many more resources and opportunities. People on this forum love to classify schools as either "GREAT" or "GOD-AWFUL" & despite being kid-free I know that the worst school in the suburbs has more support & college prep resources than 95% of the schools in CPS.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs