U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:45 PM

15 posts, read 45,934 times

Advertisements

Most people seem to agree it's a great suburb What is it that stands out? I see that the housing prices are more attractive than other areas (more for your money). Is there anything else - people seem to have the warm fuzzies when they mention St. Charles (I may be reading into the posts, though)?

Also, do most people work in Chicago or in the surrounding areas as well? Is there a better place to look for a job in terms of commute than Chicago if you live in this area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 04:01 PM

20,005 posts, read 72,152,755 times
St. Charles is pretty nice in areas, not-so-desirable in others. Theres no "bad areas" of town per se, but some areas with older homes that need some work. Most of the town is fresh and well kept, the downtown is ok, its maily geared towards the college crowd, with all its bars, etc. On the weekends its one big party downtown, with nothing but yuppie bar hoppers, driving daddy's BMW. There are wonderful festivals throughout the year, which is nice. Right now they have the concerts in the park (Lincoln Park) near downtown, which is always a big draw. They also have a wonderful St. Patricks Day parade, Scarecrow Festival, etc, etc. Restaurants are plentiful and quite good. Included are: Pi, Za Za Trattoria, Francescas on the River, the Waterfront, Miguels (excellent Mexican!), Chord on Blues, Filling Station, etc. There is also the Steel Beam Theatre, a nice skatepark along Rt. 31, south of downtown. A nice park along the river, lots of new condo ($$$) developments in downtown. There is also Pottawatomi Park north of downtown, which has miniature golf, stuff like that (beautiful willow trees all over). There is old-town St. Charles, complete with a creamery, book store, antiques, etc. There are also 3 BIG antique dealers in downtown (named I, II and III respectively), along with a nice riverwalk near the police station. There are several car shows a year in St. Charles, sometimes weekly (at Rookies). Other restaurants in the area that I recommend are Buds, Rookies (ok) and Niko's Lodge, west of town on Rt. 64. You also have access to a Gino's East on 64 and Tyler Road. Downtown also has the beautiful Hotel Baker. Oh, I forgot that Al Capone's Hideaway is in town, I forget how to get there because its, well, hidden. GREAT steak and nice cigar selection.

Homes are pretty expensive for Kane County, right up there with Geneva's prices, maybe a little less. Schools are excellent, STC East and the newer STC North both place well. STC north is up in a ritzy area near Red Gate Road. I had family go there and they loved it! Imagine that! A teenager who loved his school while attending it! Crime is low, but there were a few violent crimes in the last few years. Overall its a extremely safe town.

Nearby is Randall Road, which is chain stores galore. The Geneva Commons are right down the street as well. There is X-Sport which is a LIfetime Fitness rival (scaled down) for your workout needs, as well as any kind of car dealership you need for servicing.

With ALL this being said: Id choose Geneva. You should look into Geneva sometime, its lovely, even nicer than ST. Charles IMO.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:05 PM

94 posts, read 441,823 times
That place is definatly not as small as it used to be. I went to play frisbee golf out there the other day and got lost in some new development. I think the fair is out that way.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
That place is definatly not as small as it used to be. I went to play frisbee golf out there the other day and got lost in some new development. I think the fair is out that way.
Did you play at the Campton Hills park? Ive been meaning to check it out.

And yes, its growing pretty good, but its still a great town. The Kane County Fair is at the fairgrounds off of Randall, between 64 and 38, youre correct.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:27 PM

94 posts, read 441,823 times
Man that frisbee golf course is INSANE...it could have duel use as a paintball mecca....

Old 07-30-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Man that frisbee golf course is INSANE...it could have duel use as a paintball mecca....
Thats what Ive heard. Ive seen the area several times, but never been in there. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:45 AM

5,656 posts, read 18,037,941 times
Miami-mom -

What Steve-O said. I have lived there for the last 13 years. Very diverse housing stock. In that you can get a small ranch, duplex, 2 story, or a giant mansion - all in the same town. Which is nice. Great schools. Administration leaves a bit to be desired though (that's another topic).

Downtown is nice, but it is turning into pub and coffee bar-town. The antiques markets are moving (some to Geneva). They are revitalizing the downtown with a riverwalk.

Excellent park district and programs. Best thing I ever did was to move out here. Prices are still lower than Dupage county comparable homes. But they are still building new schools to the far west past randall road. And that is still district 303. So that may affect future property taxes.

I would highly recommend the town/area. Also many of the developments are in st. charles township which is enormous and unincorporated. Also campton hills area just became it's own village. Rumor is it was to save themselves from Elgin's current land-grabbing. (true? or not?)

Very safe town.

As far as working, most folks who would work downtown, must take the metra and park and ride from geneva. Or they work in Naperville or Oak Brook area, which is an hour from there (I used to work in Oak Brook). Or drive into Schaumburg, which is 45 minutes to an hour from St. Charles.

Also recommend Geneva, can't give you specifics. But has a better shopping downtown and the geneva commons shopping area which is nice. I would say Geneva or St. Charles is of one, half dozen of the other. Both good towns.

But I do recommend St. Charles.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Also campton hills area just became it's own village. Rumor is it was to save themselves from Elgin's current land-grabbing. (true? or not?)
Do you mean Wasco? Campton Hills is nowhere near Elgin.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:39 AM

5,656 posts, read 18,037,941 times
Yes, Elgin is in a huge land grab on just about everything they can get their hands on around here. They are all the way out to Pingree grove now with subdivisions.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 45,934 times
Thanks for all the great info on St. Charles and on Geneva. They definitely seem more like the type of places I am looking for. Ideally I would like housing between $500K - $650K and it looks like I would be able to get a nice house for that amount. Safety and the great schools were the other things. Great restaurants and parks are a huge bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs