Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 15,986 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to a house in the historic section of Blue Island and are wondering about the area. There seems to be some "not so good" areas of town but the historic area seems to be fine. Is that area pretty stable or is it in a decline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 09:51 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,140 times
I live in the general area. My girlfriend and I will frequent old western ave at least once a month for a really good dinner. The mayor has done a really good job on getting the owrd out about the history of the city. Most of the city is still blighted and run down however.

The good news is investement in the area is well under way. A new gated townhouse, condo development at 135th & ashland features a private marina. do a google search of fay's point, blue Island to find out more.

Also the Metropolitan Planning Council has hand picked Blue Island as a study in renewal, more info here
http://www.metroplanning.org/article...?objectID=3446

The climate is coudy right now, but the forecast looks to be sunny.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 8,016 times
Lots of rehabbing in the surrounding areas. Not much in Blue Island. Just know that in every part of the world that there's a not so nice neighborhood unless you are very wealthy.

Try Bronzville
Pill Hill
Beverly
Calumet City????maybe

Old 09-01-2006, 10:52 AM
NSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by voluminous View Post

Try Bronzville
Pill Hill
Beverly
Calumet City????maybe
Blue Island has little in common with any of these areas. Comparable suburbs to Blue Island are:
Posen
Midlothian
Alsip
Crestwood

a chicago neighborhood that would compare to blue Island would be Hegewisch (Beverly and Blue Island have very little in common, i think there are 3 total latinos in the entire 19th ward)

Old 09-11-2006, 11:25 AM

13 posts, read 88,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquinlan View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to a house in the historic section of Blue Island and are wondering about the area. There seems to be some "not so good" areas of town but the historic area seems to be fine. Is that area pretty stable or is it in a decline?
I lived in Blue Island until I moved to Joliet in 2002 so about 33 years or so.

The historic area is really nice. If you live near the police station in the historic area you can walk around there at night.

No, I wouldn't live in Midlothian or Alsip. Beverly is gorgeous but, like BI, is surrounded by extremely dangerous areas.

But I am a white girl when I lived there I was blonde, thin, attractive and single and always walked around the neighborhood at night. I was single in my 20s and never felt afraid. In fact, my boyfriends who would go for walks with me (this was maybe 10 years ago) would comment on how friendly everyone was.

Western Avenue is a through street and so people can be traveling from anywhere but in the little side streets you see police on foot patrol, bikes, and always all over the place in their cars.

I regret moving to Joliet. Much more dangerous here even in the wealthy areas.

I will be moving near Indy next. I love BI but my husband is from central Indiana and so we've decided just because of the cost of living etc we'll probably move back there next.

I would not move to those other trashy suburbs. BI is a great city. I loved it. So if you get a home in the historic district for over $200k you s/b good.

My sister still lives there but not in the historic district. I grew up West of Western on 122nd street (you'll want to go West of Western further south from 127-130th) and then as a single woman bought a house on Market Street which is East of Western closer to 135th. Not the BEST of areas but not the worst.

Blue Island is surrounded by really horrific neighborhoods and in spite of that, there was always like 1 murder a year etc. which for any place in the vicinity of Chicago (and in BI you are in walking distance from it), is pretty darn good.

You're a 15 minute drive to chicago and can walk to the train. i always did. Nope, never afraid.

Sorry but as a BI girl I have to say I'll always adore it. I don't recommend any other suburbs unless you want Tinley or Orland but be prepared to pay close to $300k+ for a decent area and the same people in BI are moving out that way.. (that people are afraid of)

I hope this helps. I will always love blue Island and was never afraid and lived alone for many years there. I always went for long walks.

I regret moving.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:56 AM

19 posts, read 162,083 times
Nicollew, are you nuts? Blue Island is a dump and just about every suburb around it is garbage. Mquinlan, seriously, this town is run down and infested with gangs, drugs, crime, etc. If that is what you like than BI is the place for you. Otherwise I'd look elsewhere. Somewhere far, far away.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 15,986 times
Nicollew, thank you for your response. The area in which you speak of (West of Western between 127th to 130th) is exacty the area in which we were looking and are now under contract for a house in that area.

Yes it, may be a gamble moving there but if BI does what it appears they are trying to do by hiring The Metropolitan Planning Council and the Center for Neighborhood Technoloy to help put Blue Island back on the map the gamble will be well worth it.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 AM
NSH

Quinlan, you made a good move, think of BI as a giant slingshot just a stretch away from catapolting into a great area. I remember when Lemont was a garbage city in the early 90's, now look at it.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:58 PM
lr7

1 posts, read 7,982 times
BI is definitely on the up, more so than a lot of locals realize.

Many outsiders see the potential for its redevelopment, including the numerous factors that make it a distinct possibility for BI.

In fact, the Center For Neighborhood Technology (CNT) actually chose BI from a number of communities for the current redevelopment plan that is being implemented; BI did not hire CNT. CNT is closely involved with the implementation of the economic development plan for the next year to ensure that it is a success.

Quinlan, I would consider your move a gamble worth taking.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,976 times
My husband and I bought a home in the the historic district in Blue Island almost 2 years ago after years of renting in Lincoln Square. Well we feel Blue Island is nice and the price of this house was right. Blue Island hired a new guy from Oak Park to work on improving Blue Island and that sounds good to us. Plus the taxes are way lower than other suburbs. I live 12900 area and it's nice! the neighbors are nice and it's more private than other parts in Blue Island. It's not like living up North but we are hoping things will change for the better in years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs