Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM

5 posts, read 22,501 times

Advertisements

I have a month to find rental housing for myself and my two cats in a commutable distance to the North Chicago Veteran's hospital. I am relocating from rural Iowa and I do not know the area. I am looking for something budget minded because my house has not sold and I will be supporting two households. Any assistance would be helpful. I am also a chicken and want a safe area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:39 PM

59 posts, read 248,587 times
Depending on your finance. I recommend Antioch. It is very affordable, aand a pretty safe place to live. Stay away from Waukegan,North Chicago, Round Lake , Beach Park and Zion. Rental property is very affordable. But these towns have major Drug & Gang problems. Gurnee is a very nice place to rent. Now that I think about it. I would choose to rent in Gurnee insted of Antioch. But if you are looking to buy. You can't go wrong with Antioch.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Gurnee would be a good area, but traffic can get rough depending on how far west or northwest in Gurnee you're coming from. I'd also check out any rentals that are in Lake Bluff off of Waukegan Road depending on the prices (these will be pricier, but a very safe, secure area). There might also be a rental complex off of Green Bay Road that has a North Chicago address, but is in a completely safe environment much more like its neighbor to the south, Lake Bluff. A lot of Rosalind Franklin medical students I think live in that complex (it's on the east side of Green Bay Road, south of Buckley Road, and north of Rockland Road). If you end up somewhere like this or off of Waukegan Road south of Buckley Road (and POSSIBLY just a tad bit north of Buckley, but then you are approaching North Chicago / Waukegan / Lakehurst territory where you may have to be careful of crime, drug activity, etc.), you're actually quite far from the crime-ridden areas of North Chicago a little bit further north and almost approaching the Waukegan border that most people on this board steer clear of (ie. M.L. King Drive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch66 View Post
Depending on your finance. I recommend Antioch. It is very affordable, aand a pretty safe place to live. Stay away from Waukegan,North Chicago, Round Lake , Beach Park and Zion. Rental property is very affordable. But these towns have major Drug & Gang problems. Gurnee is a very nice place to rent. Now that I think about it. I would choose to rent in Gurnee insted of Antioch. But if you are looking to buy. You can't go wrong with Antioch.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 22,501 times
Default Thanks for the help

I appreciate the heads up on good and unsafe areas. I'm hoping to find something in the 800 - 900 range in a quiet area. Wish me luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,545 times
Default You have no clue

Do not listen to these posters..Waukegan is like any other city. It has good parts and bad parts. Beach Park/Wadsworth area is very nice, I just purchased a home there. Gurnee has more crime than Waukegan. They say North Chicago is bad because its mostly black. I have lived in New York City, Atlanta, and Jacksonville, FL..and Waukegan is very nice compared to these places..use your own judgement because most of these people are going by hearsay and their own prejudices,

Consider some areas of Kenosha and Racine WI also..property values are low and they have good neighborhoods. Lindenhurst, Wauconda, Libertyville, Lake Bluff, Vernon Hills, Deerfield and Highland Park are nice also.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 AM

34 posts, read 151,302 times
Come on, Waukegan 4 life! Don't give false info! You know that Waukegan is primarily populated with Hispanics and gangs that go along with that. Waukegan did use to be decent. I have lived and worked in the community of Waukegan so I do have some background. I would live on the fringes of Waukegan, either Gurnee or Lake Bluff, not in Waukegan. I lived in an apartment complex, brand new then, and it is still there but it has changed names. It is luxury and a lot of the naval officers live there. It is right on Waukegan road, close to Baxter, in that business complex. Stay away from any complexes by Lakehurst and Park City. Previous posters are right about these areas. North Chicago not a place you want to live at all. Previous posters are right, it is all black, but it is totally ghetto, unless you are on the naval base.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waukegan4life View Post
Do not listen to these posters..Waukegan is like any other city. It has good parts and bad parts. Beach Park/Wadsworth area is very nice, I just purchased a home there. Gurnee has more crime than Waukegan.

Based on what factual data do you base Gurnee has more crime than Waukegan? Utter nonsense!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,089 times
Default do your research

I am currently working with the Lake County Health Department in making a Community Assessment for North Chicago. I have lots of data and statistics that show a high crime rate in North Chicago. Although Waukegan is not as bad, it is still a close neighbor and you can run into some danger, especially being a young female. If this helps: Total annual crimes in North Chicago are 1,873 and your chances of becoming a victim is 1 in163. Recommendations: Antioch, Gurnee, Libertyville, Wauconda, Mundelein, and other neighborhoods like these that create a safe environment. Good Luck!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waukegan4life View Post
Consider some areas of Kenosha and Racine WI also..property values are low and they have good neighborhoods. Lindenhurst, Wauconda, Libertyville, Lake Bluff, Vernon Hills, Deerfield and Highland Park are nice also.
Agree that she may want to consider Racine and Kenosha, WI as $800 to $900 will not go very far in the safer areas mentioned. I've known quite a few people who work at the VA and commute from WI. Lower priced/safer areas near North Chicago are Beach Park, Wadsworth, Gurnee, Antioch, (and maybe Winthrop Harbor) but I'm not sure if she can find a suitable rental in her price range in IL...

Old 04-23-2010, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,789 times
It's really sad that you guys must always associate black with ghetto, you have the same mentailty of your slave master fore father's. You thnk because you're tolerant of African-Americans you're not racist. I grew up in Waukegan on the border of North Chicago. Not only was my neighborhood safe, but very friendly. I think these are ppl who've heard bad things never neccessarily encountered them. The only way to know if a neighborhood is safe is to physically go see for yourself, because gangs and drugs hide for no one. Just because you work in Waukegan doesn't mean you are an expert about it's crime. They are saying Gurnee is better because it's predominately white. There is crime everywhere, find a religion, have faith live your life. Let's grow up and learn about different cultures, eduacation is a beautiful thing it usually makes you think before you speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs