Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 04:08 PM

286 posts, read 1,026,857 times

Advertisements

Hey nowincal, you have ties to Florida? You seem intimate with the details. St. Pete has a nice urban core though and is getting younger all the time.

I think Evanston would seem to be my happy medium. As long as it's not awkward for non-natives/non-Northwest students. Hell I'd go but they don't offer a PhD in my program... And, hopefully it's not sketchy...Dodge Street? Heard that is crime-ridden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 04:11 PM

286 posts, read 1,026,857 times
Oh, and thanks nana for the finds.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:31 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,900,275 times
Sounds like you have done some research! Dodge St. is not that nice.

Evanston itself is pretty safe, other than Dodge, but closer to the city. Evanston is similar to St. Pete. There are plenty of people from all over Chicagoland and the country living there. I highly recommend it for your situation.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:44 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,823,048 times
I actually knew some who lived on the North Shore in their 20's. It is not totally dead, but most moved into the city, Evanston or Skokie.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:47 PM

694 posts, read 2,009,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
There are only a few suburbs with beaches and they are all north shore (Wilmette is the largest that comes to mind) and even north of there (these aren't so nice). I was never impressed with the Lake Michigan Beaches. The city has North Avenue Beach which is really cool and that's where a lot of young professionals hang out in summer.

For suburbs with cafes, boutiques, and coffee houses, Evanston. Evanston has a lot of 20 somethings due to Northwestern and those who want a mix between urban and suburban living. Plus it is close to the city, but if you work in the north shore, it's an easy commute.

Every neighborhood and suburb in Chicagoland has gang presence in one of two ways. Either they also live in that neighborhood or suburb or they travel there. The North Shore is much less than other suburban areas, but it does exist. The violence aspect is mostly West and South sides and South suburbs, which are gang problem zones.

Chicagoland, not just the city, but the whole metro, has the most gang activity in the US. However, this being said, if you don't live in the worst areas of the city, (Austin, Englewood, Little Village), and the worst suburban areas (mostly south and some western burbs), you won't have a problem. Most gang members, particularly Hispanic, do not bother with people that are not part of that gang community.

Obviously the choice is yours, but I think based on what you are looking for, you will be really bored in the suburbs. Chicago's entertainment and nightlife venues for young professionals are all in the city. If you are absolutely sure you want north shore suburban, check out Evanston and Highland Park, maybe even Deerfield. Deerfield has a downtown with a few restaurants and bars.

Also look at Arlington Heights. It is NW suburban, but has a pretty decent downtown with 8 or 9 bars and a bunch of restaurants that cater to 20 and 30 somethings. It isn't as nightlife oriented as the city, but it sure beats 120 suburbs other than Evanston.
Do you want to substantiate your claim that "every" neighborhood and suburb of Chicago has gang activity? While your at it how about your claim that you can count the bars and night clubs on one hand on the north shore? Ever been to Highwood? Ridiculous posts. Its almost seems like you have done some wikipedia research on the Chicago suburbs and are now, in turn, writing advice to people while you in fact have never been here.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
So I've been considering a move to the area, Chicago looks cool but the North Shore burbs caught my eye also. In my native Florida "suburb" is code for strip malls, no infrastructure, and overall blandness. The North Shore 'burbs seem to have public transit and working downtowns so that's better.

Anyway, my point is: would a single, 25-or-so year old guy feel out of place in Lake Forest or Winnetka? What about nightlife, good places to eat, shopping and other social infrastructure for a younger person? Of course I'm also mulling over moving to the North Side of Chicago proper but the safety and laid-back nature of the NS is appealing to me coming from a safe mid-sized city. Thanks for the help and reading all that.

After college I lived in Evanston. True Evanston does not have the night time scene that Chicago has, but it does have everything else. Coffee Houses, the Beach, single people. I lived right next to Purple line L and would simply take the L down to Wrigleyville (or wherever), do the night time scene, and take the L back home to Evanston. Evanston would would be a much better fit for you then the other NS towns your describing.

P.S- The best beach on the North Shore is Lake Forest----but you have to sneak in as its residents only........

Old 04-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Do you want to substantiate your claim that "every" neighborhood and suburb of Chicago has gang activity? While your at it how about your claim that you can count the bars and night clubs on one hand on the north shore? Ever been to Highwood? Ridiculous posts. Its almost seems like you have done some wikipedia research on the Chicago suburbs and are now, in turn, writing advice to people while you in fact have never been here.
Yea, actually I lived most of my life in the Chicagoland area. If you read newspapers, you will see even tony South Barrington has had crimes involving gang bangers. They had an entire history channel gangland episode about the Gangster Disciples, the majority of their "leadership" outside of prison lives in..... Deerfield. Those are just two examples.

Highwood is not a fun place for a 20 something coming from St. Petersburg, FL to hang out. My guess is you are in your 40s or 50s. Not saying you aren't knowledgeable about nightlife in the Chicago burbs, but thirty years ago were a lot different than today. I have much more relevant experience regarding that claim.

Nearly all the bars in the North Shore (Cook + Lake County side) are attached to restaurants, which close at 11 or midnight. The ones that aren't are few and far between.

The OP said he wanted coffee shops, 24 hour amenities. Outside of Evanston, Arlington Heights, Oak Park, (maybe Schaumburg/Skokie), what suburbs have such 24 hour amenities?

Old 04-24-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Yea, actually I lived most of my life in the Chicagoland area. If you read newspapers, you will see even tony South Barrington has had crimes involving gang bangers. They had an entire history channel gangland episode about the Gangster Disciples, the majority of their "leadership" outside of prison lives in..... Deerfield. Those are just two examples.

Highwood is not a fun place for a 20 something coming from St. Petersburg, FL to hang out. My guess is you are in your 40s or 50s. Not saying you aren't knowledgeable about nightlife in the Chicago burbs, but thirty years ago were a lot different than today. I have much more relevant experience regarding that claim.

Nearly all the bars in the North Shore (Cook + Lake County side) are attached to restaurants, which close at 11 or midnight. The ones that aren't are few and far between.

The OP said he wanted coffee shops, 24 hour amenities. Outside of Evanston, Arlington Heights, Oak Park, (maybe Schaumburg/Skokie), what suburbs have such 24 hour amenities?
I grew up in Deerfield and have extensive relationships with people in the community to this day. Its my home town. Deerfield does not have a gang problem and gang leadership does not live in Deefield.... unless you count B'Nai Tikvah as a gang. Its just a laughable claim. You also stated "every neighborhood or Chicago suburb has a gang presence" which is not true. You mention some incident in South Barrington, but that is one incident---not a substantiation that "every neighborhood or suburb has a gang presence"

Also, I never said that the north shore is a great place for nightlife for 20 somethings. Its not.... And there are no late night hours at any bar I can think of. That said, your claim that you can count the number of stand alone bars on the north shore in one hand is completely false. I knew and had plenty of 20 something friends in the early 90's who lived at home on the north shore----after college especially trying to land a first job. We wouldn't go to any suburban bar....we caravan-ed to the city. No one took Metra by the way..... .lol

Old 04-24-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
I grew up in Deerfield and have extensive relationships with people in the community to this day. Its my home town. Deerfield does not have a gang problem and gang leadership does not live in Deefield.... unless you count B'Nai Tikvah as a gang. Its just a laughable claim. You also stated "every neighborhood or Chicago suburb has a gang presence" which is not true. You mention some incident in South Barrington, but that is one incident---not a substantiation that "every neighborhood or suburb has a gang presence"

Also, I never said that the north shore is a great place for nightlife for 20 somethings. Its not.... And there are no late night hours at any bar I can think of. That said, your claim that you can count the number of stand alone bars on the north shore in one hand is completely false. I knew and had plenty of 20 something friends in the early 90's who lived at home on the north shore----after college especially trying to land a first job. We wouldn't go to any suburban bar....we caravan-ed to the city. No one took Metra by the way..... .lol
I beg to differ. Watch the episode. They interviewed the Deerfield Chief of Police as well and showed federal agents and Deerfield cops on the job.

I didn't call it a problem for every suburb. I said presence. Every suburb has presence at some level. Much like Gurnee doesn't have a gang problem, but when gang bangers from other suburbs go to Gurnee Mills, that creates a gang presence. This is largely absent in other metros. Cicero would have a problem, not just merely a presence.

I didn't say one hand. I said hands and feet. For the north shore, I don't even think I could name 20 nightlife spots.

If the OP is moving here without knowing anyone, caravaning to the city isn't really an option.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ. Watch the episode. They interviewed the Deerfield Chief of Police as well and showed federal agents and Deerfield cops on the job.
Deerfield was on the history channel in 2010 regarding power outages. Your just wrong. I think you have your Deerfields confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs