Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 AM

142 posts, read 431,838 times

Advertisements

Between Lake Forest & Winnetka (if you've got the money for either), I would recommend Lake Forest.

Reason? There's a college there. I'm an alumni. It's not the most exciting college, but there are lots of 20-somethings on campus.

For nightlife, you can hit Highwood, visit the Wooden Nickel, Teddy O'Briens, or (if you feel like getting shiv'ed with a pool stick - I saw it happen once), the Silver Dollar.

But in all seriousness ... to answer your question about Highwood itself ... It's definitely more modest than most of the North Shore, but it's not unsafe by any stretch. The incident at the Silver Dollar was isolated, and the two guys were drunk. When I was at LFC, I regularly went to Highwood because the gas was cheaper, there were lots of good Mexican restaurants, and the bars were full of college regulars.

Hell, I graduated from LFC 7 years ago, so I don't know if those bars are even still there ...

Highwood is a quiet community filled with nice people, primarily Hispanic. It might be a good place to "test out" the North Shore and see if it's for you. I saw a starter home in Highwood listed on YoChicago.com for about $250k (a STEAL on the NS!)

Overall, that's a pretty politically conservative area, at least by Chicago standards. There are pockets of liberalism via the Lake Forest College campus ... but Lake Forest itself tends to turn its nose at the college students.

I liked my school, got a good education, and chose to stay in the Chicago area ... but personally, living in Lake Forest wouldn't be my cup of tea ... and I couldn't afford it anyway!

Last edited by oakparkV; 04-27-2011 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 12:41 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
Oh yeah like the Rockerfeller Republicans in the Northeast. I could deal with that. And for homophobia, well there's always gonna be some boob using "gay" to mean stupid or broken somewhere. Usually I
'll sarcastically call them on it then move on. As long as the entire village or Wilmette won't shrivel up in disgust if someone comes out of the closet it's ok.

Oh, oh, I read something funny about Wilmette. Apparently some parts or it are called "the Wilmetto" by richer people in surrounding areas. So the people who make 200k/yr. average call 100k average hoods ghetto?
More like the 7 figure ones calling the 200K/yr people the Wilmettos. Of the 4 communities that make up the New Trier area, Wilmette is the least expensive and you can find a quote normal house there. The other 3 Glencoe, Winnetka, Kenilworth not so much.

I still don't know about Highwood. Even if Lake Forest College regulars hang out there, it sounds like you are above them age wise.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,507 times
Quote:
Oh yeah like the Rockerfeller Republicans in the Northeast. I could deal with that. And for homophobia, well there's always gonna be some boob using "gay" to mean stupid or broken somewhere. Usually I
'll sarcastically call them on it then move on. As long as the entire village or Wilmette won't shrivel up in disgust if someone comes out of the closet it's ok.

Oh, oh, I read something funny about Wilmette. Apparently some parts or it are called "the Wilmetto" by richer people in surrounding areas. So the people who make 200k/yr. average call 100k average hoods ghetto?
I've only ever heard Wilmette residents use it about themselves. I think its hilarious.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM

98 posts, read 111,241 times
I don't recommend the North Shore to a twenty something unless you are a gold digging girl looking for a sugar daddy or two, or you are a girl or guy that dos not mind hanging out with muff and uncle biff all of the time.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:15 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
I don't recommend the North Shore to a twenty something unless you are a gold digging girl looking for a sugar daddy or two, or you are a girl or guy that dos not mind hanging out with muff and uncle biff all of the time.
Or you prefer nice surroundings, good beaches, lots of trees and parks, Quietness and do not mind driving or traveling to Chicago for real city amusement.
I lived in Skokie because rent was cheaper, lot lines wider, parking free and easy, was quieter and still close to Chicago for real city amusement. I did give up being able to walk/stumble to and from real city amusement.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM

410 posts, read 633,453 times
I went to school at New Trier, and a lot of people would joke about people living in Wilmetto...a bit strange but makes sense considering the upbringing the students were in.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:11 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Jeez is it that bad? I know most burbs are as described but I thought the North Shore would be different.
No, it's very nice, but if you don't have a spouse or family you simply won't fit in on the North Shore outside of Evanston. I don't know any single people under 45 in my neighborhood, which is in Wilmette near the Evanston border.

Evanston does have a young single population, consisting mostly of students. You might like it. It is certainly one of the most physically beautiful communities in the Midwest.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:40 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Sadly, this is pretty much true. Skokie might be okay as well, but really the North Shore is tough if you're single & in your 20's (and especially if you're not from the area). I saw someone in NY's Westchester County lamenting the same thing about his native area in comparison to NYC. Sleepy, upscale bedroom community suburban areas are generally conducive to families, but not young single folk at least with some of these old money cities in the North (besides maybe Detroit due to necessity over there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
No, it's very nice, but if you don't have a spouse or family you simply won't fit in on the North Shore outside of Evanston. I don't know any single people under 45 in my neighborhood, which is in Wilmette near the Evanston border.

Evanston does have a young single population, consisting mostly of students. You might like it. It is certainly one of the most physically beautiful communities in the Midwest.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,842 times
Any 20-somethings that live in the North Shore are living with their parents. And if they are looking for nightlife and fun, they head to downtown Chicago. The North Shore suburbs are very family oriented and the schools are very important. We do have beaches, cute boutiques, and coffeehouses - but they are filled with parents and children.
Both my kids are in their 20s and both live in the city, one in Lincoln Park and the other in Streeterville. They would not consider moving back to these suburbs until they were married with children.
It's a wonderful place to live and raise a family, but I think you'll be . . . bored.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:21 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
The North Shore communities, by and large, are: uber-conservative, Christian, large majority white, very small, ultra wealthy enclaves that form some of the wealthiest suburbs in America. You are more likely to find a non-reciprocal country club than a 24-coffee shop.

While you are poking around do take a look at Oak Park. It shares its western border with Chicago, and feels more like Chicago than any other suburb as it has many of the same Chicago amenities. There is crime in every town even if it is carefully hidden. But, when crime is out of control families move. It is not the case with Oak Park. The fund managers and the monied are not fleeing. //www.city-data.com/forum/24821605-post55.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs