Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 PM

28 posts, read 118,276 times

Advertisements

Here is the google link:
What deserted railroad is this? HERE

How feasible is it to turn it into a bicycle trail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
The line was constructed in 1903 as the Chicago Northern Ry. from Mayfair to Lake Bluff, IL, a distance of about 22 miles. It served as the principal freight route to Milwaukee for the Chicago & North Western, bypassing the suburbs along Lake Michigan to the east. In 1912, the "New Line" between Proviso and Milwaukee superseded it as the main freight line, although the "New Line" did subsume a portion of the Chicago Northern from Valley at the Lake-Cook county line to Skokie Jct. (Tower KO) on the west side of Lake Forest. After the North Shore Line electric interurban went out of business in 1963, the C&NW obtained the North Shore Line trackage between Dempster St. in Skokie and Valley and abandoned the original Chicago Northern ROW that paralleled it immediately to the west. This accomplished two things: 1) The CTA could not resume North Shore Line service to the detriment of the C&NW's commuter service on the Milwaukee Division (Chicago to Kenosha - today's "Metra UP-North"); and 2) The C&NW could sell off the Chicago Northern property for commercial or industrial development. The last major freight use of the portion of the Chicago Northern south of Valley was for Wisconsin Electric coal trains received by C&NW from the Belt Railway of Chicago at 40th St. Yard about 4 miles south of Mayfair. When the C&NW was threatened by corporate raiders and before it was rescued by the UP, they tried to sell off everything non-essential, and the south end of the Chicago Northern between Mayfair and Oakton St. in Skokie was one of the lines sold.

So, today we have the following: 1) Mayfair to Oakton St. railbanked for future CTA use (over the dead body of the Village of Lincolnwood, I might add) - the far southern end has already been "appropriated" by bicycle interests and the City of Chicago for an elevated bike path; 2) Oakton St. to Dempster St. original Chicago Northern ROW still owned by UP but with railroad removed; 3) Dempster St. to Valley original North Shore Line ROW with railroad being removed as we speak - this ROW is actually an easement on ComEd power line ROW and it would not "revert" to anyone as the UP (mistakenly) suggested.

The current interest in a biker/hiker trail is to permanently foreclose the possibility of a CTA extension from Skokie to Northbrook Court, a Metra extension from Mayfair up the "New Line", or a Pace "Bus Rapid Transit" highway, none of which are now, or ever will be, acceptable to the Villages of Northfield and Northbrook. I think, btw, it was the rail passengers, not the bikers, who were the feared criminals.

imo, one of the worst things the C&NW did was abandon this line. It would be a great Metra route and, after the UP merger, would have allowed all C&NW trains from Milwaukee to run via the BRC to Clearing Yard and perhaps on to Yard Center, thereby freeing up capacity on the "New Line" west of Valley that could be used for Metra service to O'Hare. Oh well!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________
I might add that the portion of this line between Lake Cook RD and Rt 176 in Lake Bluff is now the Skokie Valley Bikeway. The portion in Cook Country between Lake-Cook and Skokie had been planned to become a southern extension of this trail and there were plans and meetings I believe back in 2008 but those plans appear to be shelved.

Part of the Right of way in Skokie I beleive is approved for conversion to a bike trail and part in Chicago between Devon and Bryn Mawr already is. The rest I guess is not.

edit
I guess the southern extension is still a possibility but is years away at least
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1N1-13494DC55A513690.html

Last edited by MSchemist80; 05-25-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 02:19 PM

thanks......so they are aware of that line and are doing nothing about it.

I live in washington dc now and a similar thing is going on with an old trolley line from dc to Glen Echo

Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 AM

In all honesty, you'd think the people of lincolnwood would want a rail going from their neighborhood to downtown chicago. The two options, living there, are the highway or local roads. Driving to the skokie swift is somewhat in the vicinity.
But that rail path goes all the way downtown

Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
There was a line from Mayfair to Lake Bluff but I believe it passed to the west of where the OP was asking about. I am pretty sure this was the old Mayfair cutoff, also a C & NW line, running between Mayfair and Evanston. At the time of abandonment the only remaining customer was the CTA at Skokie, where new railcars were delivered.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:08 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,954 times
Sad that we once had a better passenger rail infrastructure than we have today.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Sad that we once had a better passenger rail infrastructure than we have today.
Sure it's "sad" but do you understand the history of why so many lines went away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs