U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 PM
 
7 posts, read 19,147 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm looking for a house in Evanston area and found one single house, two story, decent size listed for just $65,000. The house is near Emerson St and Dodge Ave. It's too cheap to be true for North Evanston area. Is this area bad so that this house can't sell with this price? It's been on the market for 3 months and has been reduced the price twice, from $83k to $75k, now to $65k. It's a foreclosure. The price is too low that makes me exicted but at the same time I'm afraid there is something seriously wrong with it that I don't know. Does anyone know this area?

Thanks for any help.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Berwyn, IL
2,418 posts, read 5,949,131 times
Reputation: 1132
It's a little rougher around those parts. Though, I regularly bike on the trail over there.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 06:19 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
 
7 posts, read 19,147 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks. The website is very useful. How do I compare neighborhoods in a another city? I went back to "Home" but couldn't find a way to get to the crime rate page as you did.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Berwyn, IL
2,418 posts, read 5,949,131 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlandlord1 View Post
Thanks. The website is very useful. How do I compare neighborhoods in a another city? I went back to "Home" but couldn't find a way to get to the crime rate page as you did.

Home > Illinois > Crime Rates/Community Crime Rate

And then you should be able to play around with the map.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 AM
 
7 posts, read 19,147 times
Reputation: 10
yeah, the crime index of that area is very low (19/100), but why all the schools surrounding the area have rating 8/10 (according to greatschools.net), which is pretty good?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,479 posts, read 11,564,912 times
Reputation: 2824
it is a middle to lower middle class neighborhood, primarily African-American.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Winnetka, IL & Rolling Hills, CA
1,273 posts, read 4,234,990 times
Reputation: 605
The price on that house is even low for that area. That part of town is not very desirable. There were some promising projects in that area, a few have gotten off the ground, but I don't see much more gentrification anytime soon. Crime isn't too bad, not much violent crime that I can think of in many years.

Evanston's schools are pretty good. The schools that those kids go to are typically out of their neighborhood. Evanston has had a longtime program that buses for integration.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 03:17 PM
 
17,165 posts, read 21,275,808 times
Reputation: 17427
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlandlord1 View Post
I'm looking for a house in Evanston area and found one single house, two story, decent size listed for just $65,000. The house is near Emerson St and Dodge Ave. It's too cheap to be true for North Evanston area. Is this area bad so that this house can't sell with this price? It's been on the market for 3 months and has been reduced the price twice, from $83k to $75k, now to $65k. It's a foreclosure. The price is too low that makes me exicted but at the same time I'm afraid there is something seriously wrong with it that I don't know. Does anyone know this area?

Thanks for any help.
It's too close to the high school for my taste. It's also one of the sketchier areas of Evanston in terms of crime.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 09:05 PM
 
28,460 posts, read 80,775,148 times
Reputation: 18656
Default Never ever pay attention to the gr8skools site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlandlord1 View Post
yeah, the crime index of that area is very low (19/100), but why all the schools surrounding the area have rating 8/10 (according to greatschools.net), which is pretty good?
The numbers are USELESS
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 PM
 
28,460 posts, read 80,775,148 times
Reputation: 18656
Default um, maybe 20 years ago...

Evanston re-adopted a neighborhood school attendance policy many years ago...

Attendance Area Maps

Residents were not happy with efforts to achieve racial uniformity: Evanston School Desegregation Plan Unraveling - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
The price on that house is even low for that area. That part of town is not very desirable. There were some promising projects in that area, a few have gotten off the ground, but I don't see much more gentrification anytime soon. Crime isn't too bad, not much violent crime that I can think of in many years.

Evanston's schools are pretty good. The schools that those kids go to are typically out of their neighborhood. Evanston has had a longtime program that buses for integration.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top