Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 09:28 AM

20 posts, read 100,621 times

Advertisements

I am trying to narrow down choices of preschool for my (almost) 3 year old..
Does anybody know anything about this school..There were a few reviews about this on yelp.com.Seemed positive.I am wondering how fdo you go about choosing PreSchools with so little is known about them..Is it primarily word of mouth and/or visit the school and get a feel for it?

The other ones I am intersted are Little Blessings Preschool(Alleluia! on Book Rd) ...

anydbody has any insight into these schools are others like this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 11:54 AM

677 posts, read 4,210,123 times
Word of mouth helps to narrow down choices but you definitely have to visit the school and see how the teachers interact with the children and what the classroom looks like. As a former daycare teacher my advice is don't just take a tour but ask if you can observe the class for at least 20 mins. A good school should have no problem with this. Look for how the teachers handle kids taking toys from each other (happens all the time in preschool) and if the kids are constantly tattling. A teacher should never punish a child just because another child said he/she did something. This is what happens at bad preschools/daycares. When you're visiting keep in mind that the teachers are going to put everything in the best light, because in essence they're selling you on their school. Watch the children for the real story. Do they seem happy or are they taking toys from other kids, knocking down blocks, teasing others, etc? Trust your instincts and if you feel something isn't right about a place, keep looking.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:02 PM

27 posts, read 130,099 times
My daughter attended Little Blessings a couple years ago. We were very pleased with their program. A few of our neighbors had children go through the program and they were all happy with it as well.

Just keep in mind that a Montessori education is approached differently than traditional schools, though if I remember correctly, Little Blessings did have some sort of a Montessori connection. It was a while ago, so it's hard to remember.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:09 PM

356 posts, read 542,383 times
In addition to the sound advice given above about observing, ask for 5 references, and contact Better Business Bureau.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:21 PM

102 posts, read 163,487 times
Default Preschool

I enrolled my 3 year old daughter at the Fry YMCA in Naperville. They have a preschool called "Lets Explore" for 2/5 - 3 year olds. My daughter loves it. They teach the kids alphabets, numbers, how to recognize their names and so forth. She goes Tue. and Thurs. 9:30-11:30 a.m from September to May. The YMCA's preschool is $108 a month. They do give tours at the Fry Family YMCA.

Fry is east of Neuqua Valley High School

They also have a branch on Washington called Kroehler YMCA.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:07 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,612,132 times
I love Montesorri schools, their philosophy and teaching styles. Its very gentle, the teachers are specialy trained and there is no 'punishment' or humilitation to little ones. The specific request for Naprville Mont. leads me to believe the op was interested in this approach to pre school. I wish my kids could have gone on, but upper grades Mont. are hard to find.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 PM

12 posts, read 75,308 times
At 3 you want your child to be somewhere that has a small child-teacher ratio. I think most preschools are the same out there. Take it from someone who's 4 year old is reading and doing addition and subtraction, it's not what the schools do, it's what you do that makes the difference. Most preschools are just warehouses for kids.

If you look at it as just a place to play for a few hours and maybe what you are teaching him/her is being reinforced you wlll be good.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,824 times
Default Preschool

"Take it from someone who's 4 year old is reading and doing addition and subtraction."

I'm relocating to the Chicago area this summer. What school did your child learn to read, add, and subtract by age 4? I'm trying to find a school for my 4 yr old.

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khunsaker View Post
"Take it from someone who's 4 year old is reading and doing addition and subtraction."

I'm relocating to the Chicago area this summer. What school did your child learn to read, add, and subtract by age 4? I'm trying to find a school for my 4 yr old.

Thanks!
That post was from 2007, and that person's last post was 1/1/08, so I don't think you're going to hear back, sorry.

From what she said--"it's what you do that makes a difference"--I think her kid learned those things at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs