Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:58 PM

81 posts, read 287,898 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any contact/knowledge of this school? The other two schools in the 204 seem reasonable but this one has homes close to the Route 59 metra. It's new so there isn't much on the illinois report card about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 02:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Your last line pretty much sums it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldoubled View Post
Anyone have any contact/knowledge of this school? The other two schools in the 204 seem reasonable but this one has homes close to the Route 59 metra. It's new so there isn't much on the illinois report card about them.
The way data is collected there is really no way to get useful info on a new high school. Honestly I would recommend waiting at least until a full cycle of classes works its way through the school -- if you have a kid that is starting HS before 2015 or so I know that is NOT what you wanna hear, but anybody that is gonna"rate" a school on incomplete data is taking a big risk...

Old 05-20-2011, 05:24 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times
I don't think sitting around until 2015 to get a report card is a realistic option.

People on these boards often seem to love district 203 over 204, say it scores better. Honestly all Naperville schools are pretty good schools.

Is your kids future going to be that much brighter b/c he went to discrict 203 over 204? I'm gonna guess no.

I'm pretty sure Metea took a lot of its teachers and administrators from other Naperville schools so your dealing with the same calibur of people.

As long as your going to be in Naperville and Naperville shcools I would focus more on the home and area than the school they are all good.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I suspect that, given the past patterns of expansion in D204, not much more than half the teachers came from Nequa or Waubansee. Thus lots of new-to-the-district, thus hard to say if the staff is better/worse/about the same.

Same kind of thing happens with the enrollment and the attendance boundaries -- some folks might gravitate towrd the new area, others, especially if they have older sibling in the existing schools but are technically closer to the new campus, stick with the other schools.

I do agree that it is hard to say your kid will have better prospects for college and such coming from one school or the other, but over time the campuses will have a "pecking order". Basically all districts with multiple campuses do, and the driver is generally housing -- areas with fewer apartments and more expwensoce single family homes tend to have more affluent residents and students that are better prepared...

Old 05-22-2011, 03:44 PM

13 posts, read 29,745 times
Metea Valley is a great high school- just as good as the other 2 204 schools. It also is the newest now of the schools, thereby giving Waubonsee a bit of the ugly red-headed stepchild syndrome in comparison. You will win by choosing any of the 204 schools - though personally, I wouldn't put my kid in Nequa if you paid me, just because of the self entitled children that attend that school.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGirlAtHeart View Post
Metea Valley is a great high school- just as good as the other 2 204 schools. It also is the newest now of the schools, thereby giving Waubonsee a bit of the ugly red-headed stepchild syndrome in comparison. You will win by choosing any of the 204 schools - though personally, I wouldn't put my kid in Nequa if you paid me, just because of the self entitled children that attend that school.
Generalize much? Kind of an ignorant thing to say about a school of what like 4,000 kids? THey are all self entitled brats?

Also, some of the kids attending Metea probably live a half block from their neighbor/peer who attends Neuqua because of how boundaries are drawn. Were dealing with Naperville vs. Naperville, your acting like Metea is a blue collar area and Neuqua is Deerfield. I doubt there's that big of a difference betweeen students at Neuqua vs. Metea

Old 05-23-2011, 07:53 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Default Have you done YOUR homework?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldoubled View Post
Have you gone online and checked out the districts' websites? Dig deep into the class offerings and see if they are the same or if there are differences. Does Matea have standardized test information and details they will share with you? Do you know any parents in the district you can talk to-maybe through sports or music programs your kid(s) may be involved in.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:02 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
I have friends with kids at Metea that were scheduled for waubonsie. They seem happy with the new school and when I speak with their kids, they seem happy, too. I actually haven't heard anything bad about the school itself so far from parents or kids and I was just in the middle of a discussion regarding the school on Saturday at a barbeque. These are nice families and good kids, so the source it pretty reasonable, I think.

I just read the previous post now and remembered that a woman that is really into theatre had told me how Metea got a really good drama teacher from one of the other Naperville schools. I think that is all I know about the school...

Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 PM

13 posts, read 29,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Generalize much? Kind of an ignorant thing to say about a school of what like 4,000 kids? THey are all self entitled brats?

Also, some of the kids attending Metea probably live a half block from their neighbor/peer who attends Neuqua because of how boundaries are drawn. Were dealing with Naperville vs. Naperville, your acting like Metea is a blue collar area and Neuqua is Deerfield. I doubt there's that big of a difference betweeen students at Neuqua vs. Metea

Actually- the kids who go to Metea most likely live near the kids that go to Waubonsee, not Nequa- and had you read what I said- I called Waubonsee the red headed step child not Nequa. And- you aren't dealing with Naperville vs Naperville...

Nequa- Naperville, Bolingbrook

Waubonsee- Aurora, part of Naperville

Metea - Aurora

And again, had you thoroughly read my entire post- I said that they are ALL district 204, so they ALL share the same tax dollars- I was comparing how modern and new Metea would be vs. Waubonsee- which is now the oldest of the three schools.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM

81 posts, read 287,898 times
Thanks for the replies. We're moving from out of the area so we don't know anyone to talk to. They don't have any posted scores, the counselor didn't return my call from Friday yet about test scores. We're not really considering Nequa due to the fact that it doesn't appear to be near any Metra lines, ditto for Waubonsie as far as I know. We saw a few rental homes in the Metea catchment that might fit our needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs