Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 10:08 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,206 times

Advertisements

My youngest son, a mortgage processor for a Wheaton Bank - - has just told me about a Condo listed at $134,900 in Wheaton. This is a one bed / one bath unit located about one mile or less north of the College of Du Page campus. It is along Lorraine Avenue that is the border between Glen Ellyn & Wheaton.
In all of my past threads, I have been talking about new home prices. And new home prices are the 'standard' measurement as to where prices are going. In Wheaton, new single family home prices are between $500K and $1,000,000.
So if interested, log onto 'REALTOR.COM' and use the advanced search with a zip code = 60187. That's for used Condos.
Why it is low in price, I don't know. It may be that those condo buildings are an international village where crime rates could be high? Is this true? I don't know. However, from the Sun Times Newspaper for Wheaton, the 'Police Blotter' column shows that Wheaton's highest crime rate is usually quite close to this listed Condo. To be exact - - around Roosevelt Road (IL-38) and Blanchard Avenue.
I drove past that condo building and from the exterior, the entire area looks very nice. Parks, grass, lagoons, and very nice public streets. However, I don't know the demographics of that exact area since I live in the N.W. corner of Wheaton.

'Hope This Helps Somebody?

Best Regards,

Carter Glass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 01:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Thats the area of Wheaton that has a decent immigrant population. Can the crimes be traced to them? Hard to say. That area of Wheaton is far from bad, but is the worst part of town.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Yes, I Agree With Steve

After I wrote this 'OP' then I remembered that someone had once talked about roof replacement in Condos. Perhaps very expensive? Most likely. So maybe that is why the price is cheap.
The crime rate of Wheaton is limited to theft, mostly. And by other community standards, our theft rates may appear mild. All of our schools have D.A.R.E. programs and so the drug situation must be very limited or even non-existent. I don't know.
So I am basically thinking about a divorcee towing several kids. She is trying to hide from her 'X'. Such a place might be okay for her, providing she does her homework to determine what happens after dark in that neighborhood. Personally, I don't think I would want to walk around at night to determine that. But maybe that is misleading since I also consider Wheaton a very safe town.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 08-05-2007, 02:30 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
A one bedroom condo is going to be awfully cramped for a single parent and kid(s). Sounds more like a starter home for a young single 20 something a few years out of college.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Perhaps Out Of Desperation

Yes, a one bedroom / one bathroom condo is going to be 'tight' for a divorcee plus kids. But I look at it from the angle of how desperate one gets. I once met a young divorced lady living in Watertown, WI. She had several kids and was living in a very small apartment to hide from her 'X' out in California. I suppose she felt secure, there, and that might have been more important to her than the apartment size.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL &
Cortland, IL

Old 08-06-2007, 07:27 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
[quote=HOWELL_STREET;1214246 All of our schools have D.A.R.E. programs and so the drug situation must be very limited or even non-existent. I don't know.

Carter Glass[/QUOTE]

I respect your idealism,but the school D.A.R.E programs do not, by any stretch of the imagination ,mean a drug free situation

Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Comments To Nanannie

Yes, I agree with your comments regarding D.A.R.E. I would HOPE that D.A.R.E. does something for our school kids.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs