Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The three towns are all equal, St. Charles is just more equal.
To each their own. I like Geneva the best. If I had to live way the hell out there I wouldn't mind any of the 3, but Batavia would be my last choice because its downtown is so much smaller than the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,557 times
While I agree St. Charles and Geneva have much more established downtowns, I suppose the equivalent area in Batavia is not our downtown but the area on Randall Road which is rife with shopping and restaurants. I think because of geography the downtown in Batavia could never really be established, but maybe one day it will get redone!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
While I agree St. Charles and Geneva have much more established downtowns, I suppose the equivalent area in Batavia is not our downtown but the area on Randall Road which is rife with shopping and restaurants. I think because of geography the downtown in Batavia could never really be established, but maybe one day it will get redone!
Right then... Batavia's equivalent to Geneva and STC's downtowns is the generic strip mall Hell of Randall Road that's unique that it basically repeats itself every few miles all the way through Algonquin. For those who say Batavia just doesn't quite measure up to the other two, I think you've just made their case.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:18 PM

Judging by your attitude, I think it would be safe to say another argument I have about the town is that people in Batavia are much more down-to-earth than their neighbors to the north.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Judging by your attitude, I think it would be safe to say another argument I have about the town is that people in Batavia are much more down-to-earth than their neighbors to the north.
Yes, go be humbly proud of your strip malls. The virtuous posturing will surely speak for itself and people will see the light about Batavia after all.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Will you two please stop bickering?

I've live in many small towns in Illinois and not. I never found two that were alike in all aspects. I never found two that were very similar. There was always something that set one apart from the other.

Fox Valley is a beautiful area; I don't think anyone can deny it - and maybe this is where the equality lies? The one time I was there visiting I did not want to go back to the city, but then I prefer green parks and mature trees to concrete and cookie cutter stores. .

Old 06-25-2011, 09:03 PM

I'm sorry, I was never trying to be offensive. I was admitting that the Geneva and St. Charles downtowns are more established. All the towns are nice, but in different ways. Socioeconomically, they are also pretty much the same. Just the point I'm trying to drive home, but I appreciate them all differently. I'm not saying Batavia's the best one, I'm just saying they all have their own charms and work well together, hence their nickname of the Tri-City Area.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,679 times
I grew up in Northbrook--snotty central. I bought my home here without knowing anyone within a ten mile radius. I looked everywhere from Mundelein to Algonquin to G/St.C/B. I looked in this area because I wanted a more down to earth environment, and I did a TON of research. Geneva is adorable, but small and not so many houses for sale. I've heard it can be a little snotty. St. Charles felt too big, not super distinct, cute downtown, but I have a friend who owns a business right on main street and there are so many bars right there that she has slobs who get sick and throw up right in her doorway. Batavia's downtown needs a makeover, but the schools are every bit as good as Northbrook, Wilmette, Winnetka and without the snotty attitude. Batavia = wonderful schools/teachers, small town feel, affordable housing with character, diversity, art, swimming, family activities. I love it here and am excited about the downtown renovation plans. By the way--great tree program too--I had a beautiful flowering tree planted in my yard by the city and it was only about $125 to have this done.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Geneva is too small, so you moved to a town right next door that is nearly identical in size and population. Ooohhkay...

Old 08-03-2011, 03:32 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Quote:
but the schools are every bit as good as Northbrook, Wilmette, Winnetka
Really?! The data I have seen does not support your statement. Not to say schools in Batavia aren't decent, and it seems the town fits you better, BUT as good? nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs