Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 AM

133 posts, read 587,350 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to chicago and was wondering if anyone is a dog groomer or knows how much one makes in your area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I couldnt tell you how much they make, nor specific groomers, but Ive seen quite a few groomers and doggy-salons in the area (DuPage and Kane Counties). I know theyre there, but our dog doesnt need grooming so we never have to take him.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 AM

474 posts, read 2,539,305 times
Default How About A Horse Wrangler?

Dear Friend:

Like the answer of the previous thread, it is difficult to determine if one can assimulate into such a company. Pet dogs are everywhere in the Chicago land area.
Would you be interested in grooming horses or as a horse wrangler? If so, Wayne (Center), Illinois is probably the 'capital' of horses in the Chicago Suburban areas - - closest to the city of Chicago, itself.
Of course, that does not consider the Arlington Race Track and other similar tracks such as Hawthorne. But Wayne, IL is most likely breeding territory for race horses(?).
In south Wheaton we also have a very famous horse farm called 'Danada'. It is now a forest preserve district but was previously a horse farm owned by Dan and Ada Rice (now deceased). I'm not up on my horse history. However, I believe theywere quite famous during an earlier time.
Perhaps this has helped you a little?

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 AM

Actually, Carter, the Danada Equestrian farm is still there and working perfectly. And its nice to see someone know a little history behind the place. I get tired of hearing everyone say "Dan-ah-da" instead of "Dan-ay-da" after Dan and Ada Rice.

Same goes for the correct pronunciation of Catigny.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
There are lots of dog groomer opportunities here. Esp. with the high end burbs. Those rich people like to pamper their pooches. Sister works between 2 salons and is working ALL the time. Holidays are her busy time.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:02 PM

474 posts, read 2,539,305 times
Default Hello Steve - Oh

Your thread is quite amusing to me since I also pronounce it "Duh - Nahh - duh". In the case of the Cantigny War Memorial - - when we take out of town family friends there, I split between "Can - tee - nee" and Can - Tig - Nee". In fact with all of these, I don't know which is correct.
Another real problem is "Schmale" road in Carol Stream. Does one pronounce is Shhh - Male" or Shh - mahhh - lee"?
Incidentally, the former owner of the Cantigny park property - - I believe from memory - - was Mc Cormick. Around 1948, he promoted the famous Chicago Railroad Fair - - a follow up fair in the same area of the Century of Progress fair around 1933 - 1934. Burnham Harbor and Northerly Island. And after that, Mc Cormick of course built Chicago's Mc Cormick Place. In reality, it is possible that he had passed away by then. However, it is now known as the Mc Cormick Place where many business oriented 'fairs' are located. I have a book about Mc Cormick in my private library. However, I have not reviewed it in many years.
IF anyone ever visits the Wheaton, IL area, then be sure to visit the Cantigny War Memorial Museum. I think it specializes in WW-1 and WW-2 - - at any rate, it is very, very fascinating.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Cantigny is awesome, go there every year on fourth of July, they have a big shindig out there. Great gardens and house and museum is truly moving. Everyone should visit.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
Your thread is quite amusing to me since I also pronounce it "Duh - Nahh - duh". In the case of the Cantigny War Memorial - - when we take out of town family friends there, I split between "Can - tee - nee" and Can - Tig - Nee". In fact with all of these, I don't know which is correct.
Another real problem is "Schmale" road in Carol Stream. Does one pronounce is Shhh - Male" or Shh - mahhh - lee"?
Incidentally, the former owner of the Cantigny park property - - I believe from memory - - was Mc Cormick. Around 1948, he promoted the famous Chicago Railroad Fair - - a follow up fair in the same area of the Century of Progress fair around 1933 - 1934. Burnham Harbor and Northerly Island. And after that, Mc Cormick of course built Chicago's Mc Cormick Place. In reality, it is possible that he had passed away by then. However, it is now known as the Mc Cormick Place where many business oriented 'fairs' are located. I have a book about Mc Cormick in my private library. However, I have not reviewed it in many years.
IF anyone ever visits the Wheaton, IL area, then be sure to visit the Cantigny War Memorial Museum. I think it specializes in WW-1 and WW-2 - - at any rate, it is very, very fascinating.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass
haha

Yes, there are many debatable words around here. Danada Ive heard is pronounced Dan-Ada, as its namesake suggests. Cantigny is pronounced Can-tee-nee, after a battle in France in which the Army's 1st Division fought, thats why the g is silent. As for Schmale, I say it both ways, I dont know what the correct pronunciation is for that word.

But I also agree that everyone must go visit Cantigny (corners of Rt. 38 and Winfield Rd). They have the most beautiful flower gardens and landscaping you ever did see. Not only that, but throw in a world-class museum, miles and miles of trails, floral gardens, army tank display (which kids are encouraged to climb all over), and the best golf course in DuPage, and youve got a great way to spend a day! The Wheaton philharmonic orchestra performs there often, and there are war reenactments and an assortment of other things to check out. I highly recommend paying a visit.

Cantigny Park

Old 10-02-2007, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,773 times
Default Dog Groomers

Yes there is no doubt that there are dog groomers in demand in and around the Chicago area. As a pet owner myself, the problem is finding one that is reasonable. I realize that there is a lot more to grooming a dog than there is giving a simple hair cut for a person, but I am spending twice as much to have my dog cut than I am for my own haircuts and she's only 3.5 lbs. Groomers can definately make a good living especially if they get a good following.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:40 PM

98 posts, read 454,139 times
KodakMoment - I groomed in DuPage county before moving west. PM me if you need info on the Naperville/Aurora area and I can give you some leads and/or tips.

Standard pay is 50% commission, no benefits. Most toy breeds will be $35-42 and you could plan on about 6 dogs/day. Some shops make you pay for the bather.

Joesmom, groomers do not usually make "good money" unless they run their own established, busy shop. Given the estimates I listed above, even at max capacity, the groomer would take home $570/wk before taxes (plus tips). As I said, some shops take the bather's pay from your check, so it could even be about $100 less/wk. That ain't "a good living", much less for hard work. In NYC, LA, or even in downtown Chicago grooming at a fancy salon you may do better, but not in IL suburbs.

Please tip your groomers, folks. We work on commission and depend on tips just like your own hair stylist does. For some reason, a lot of people honestly don't know that tipping is customary in this business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs