U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,740 times

Advertisements

In July of 2010 I purchased a 1973 VW SB Convertible from a body shop manager. The vehicle had sustained an engine compartment fire that also damaged the rear portion of the cloth top. The insurance company had declared it too costly to fix and issued a salvage title. I have 50 years experience (1959 to present) rebuilding air cooled VWs and needed some activity while I recovered from a cancer operation. I was given the out of state salvage title (certificate) issued to the insurance company endorsed to me and the vehicle. SOS office told me it must be running (rebuilt) before anything could be done toward obtaining a Rebuilt title. It is now completed well beyond the mechanical and driveability levels from what I started with. New electrical, engine, rear body paint, top,... plus up grades in brakes, tires, ignition and other exterior trim. I have pictures, invoices, affirmation of work done and my check book. It is fully insured as an antique vehicle but can not be registered with the state until it passes inspection. Will trailer it to Springfield in the next couple of weeks to begin that process.

Question: does anyone have any suggestion or hint to help this process toward completion? Thanks!!!

Last edited by Vincent Kuetemeyer; 06-25-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,740 times
My goodness...I really need suggestions. Talked to three different SOS, private rebuilders and more... each person gave different rules and suggestions...we only needed to replace the engine, canvas top and tailights with painting to the rear fenders and deck cover.... one rebuilder said to sign the paper work over to him and he would get the title then I would buy it back from him. Ouch...I see why people suggest to go to another state. It seems buying breakfast in Illinois requires a license. Thoughts>>>>>

Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 PM

10,876 posts, read 12,590,282 times
This is something you would have to take up with the DMV or other automotive professionals. This forum is for information about suburban chicago cities and related issues.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:12 AM

219 posts, read 624,199 times
Default rebuilt title

check and see if they will send a sec of state police officer over to inspect the vehicle since you are not legal to drive the vehicle,they will do the inspection and sign off if you have all the docs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs