Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,304 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am new to this forum and currently moving to Chicago. I am trying to
find out very quickly... What is the best elementary school in
downtown Chicago? We're looking into areas around the Loop - e.g.
South Loop, Near North, and Lincoln Park. Are the CPS public schools
any good? Is it worthwhile to look into private schools - are they
worth the money? (just because you can afford something, does not mean
it's a good investment) Please help! There are too many schools to
choose from and too many sites to browse. We need some information
very quickly in order to at least decide what neighborhood we'll be
moving into (we don't want to move twice). We're trying to avoid the
suburbs if at all possible. Is there a website that has all the
information in one place? Any helpful guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I would suggest you seek out the help of the folks at "Neighborhood Parents Network" if your goal is to move into an area served by tolerable CPS schools.

Personally I have experience as a teacher in both the high schools of Chicago Public Schools and private schools and the substantial investment for private schools really reflects more of a choice about social aspects of the schools environment. There are some high performing CPS schools, however the combination of lottery and evaluation needed to gain entrance does not make it a good option for transfer / relocation. There are some acceptable schools which are open to those who own / rent in desirable neighborhoods however the stability of many of them is far from guaranteed given the well known bureaucratic red tape and mismanagement of CPS.

If you will be working in the Loop I would strongly recommend investigation of the towns well served by commuter rail. Depending on your reasons for looking into CPS you may find that combination of well developed traditional towns with walkable cores of shops and restaurants served by efficient mass transit will make for a very pleasant move.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,191 times
South Loop has a gifted program, but it's too late for this fall. Andrew Jackson is in the west Loop with great test scores, but that's a lottery to get in, I think. In terms of the best regular schools, people usually say Hawthorne, Bell, Blaine and Lincoln, Nettlehorst. There are many up and comers, like Coonley, Waters, Ravenswood, Pierce, Prescott, Agassiz. I am certainly forgetting a ton.

Also, please be advised that there are gifted, magnet and classical schools, as well as gifted programs in regular schools.

A few sites:

npnparents.org
cpsobsessed.com

Don't listen to any realtor or listing on a specific school boundary. Make sure you check the CPS locator.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,294 times
There are some great schools downtown, as kindra kindra listed. You can add Ogden to that list too. Make sure you are focusing on 'neighborhood' schools since you can't apply to either magnets or selective enrollment (gifted/classical) this late in the school year, and yes definitely check the CPS school locator to make sure the property is zoned as you want it to be. It can differ by side of the street, it's that detailed.

There's no need to move to the suburbs or even go private if you can afford to live in an area served by one of the better neighborhood schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: