Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Northwest Indiana a part of Chicagoland?
Yes 45 72.58%
No 16 25.81%
Other - please explain 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:18 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Valpo along with racine wi and even antioch are close to chicago but not burbs , they are close to the city
that is the way I look at this issue

I think alot of people would agree with me on this and then there are others who probably would disagree , doesnt mean your right or my way of thinking is correct it is just simply the opinion I have

Is it part of the CSA data yes it is in the csa data but the footprint is large just like everyother metro in the usa
Not saying towns and cities like munster, dyer , shererville, Hammond , whiting , east chicago arent
just saying valpo and points east, there has to be a line someplace
There absolutely is a line. That line is the county line. When even a tiny bit of the contuous suburban development extends its furthest reaches into the next county, then the whole county is part of the metro area. Period.

That is the best definition, as that extend of continuous suburban development can change with the building of a new subdivision our outlet mall on former farms or woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
There absolutely is a line. That line is the county line. When even a tiny bit of the contuous suburban development extends its furthest reaches into the next county, then the whole county is part of the metro area. Period.

That is the best definition, as that extend of continuous suburban development can change with the building of a new subdivision our outlet mall on former farms or woods.
Okay based on your comment I would presume the line at lake and porter

Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Demarcation points of suburbs are always controversial. Bourbonnais has the Bears camp, though Platteville WI did at one point. Commuting does not make it a suburb, many commute from Milwaukee and many Chicagoans fly out of there, but it is not a suburb.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Okay based on your comment I would presume the line at lake and porter
More like Porter and LaPorte.

Portage is in Porter and is part of a continuously relatively built up area. Just look at the orange on the road map. If there is a little bit of orange in the county, then it is part of the metro area.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Demarcation points of suburbs are always controversial. Bourbonnais has the Bears camp, though Platteville WI did at one point. Commuting does not make it a suburb, many commute from Milwaukee and many Chicagoans fly out of there, but it is not a suburb.
very true in is always controversial - never did like the bears going into wisconsin for camp!~

Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
More like Porter and LaPorte.

Portage is in Porter and is part of a continuously relatively built up area. Just look at the orange on the road map. If there is a little bit of orange in the county, then it is part of the metro area.
Point taken......

Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,013 times
In it's technical term it is one large Metropolitan area broken down into 3 Metropolitan Divisions.

CBSA Code Division Code
16980 Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI 9,580,567
16980 16974 .Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL (Cook, DeKalb, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, McHenry Will) 7,998,257
16980 23844 .Gary, IN (Lake, Porter, Newton, Jasper) 704,361
16980 29404 .Lake County-Kenosha County, IL-WI (Lake(IL), Kenosha) 877,949

It falls along the same designations as the Metroplex (With Dallas and Fort Worth Metropolitan Divisions), New York, Philly etc. which are also large MSA's broken down by division. I believe there are 11 MSA's with Metropolitan Divisions associated.

Last edited by msamhunter; 08-04-2011 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,815 times
My effort is not just to bump this thread to the top of the list, I promise. But, after looking at the poll, over a quarter of the people voted No. Looking through the comments, there really is no good explanation as to why someone might think that NWI is not a suburb of Chicago. There is no right or wrong answer, it's an opinion, but I've still not read a good explanation from someone who feels the answer is No.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:32 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
My effort is not just to bump this thread to the top of the list, I promise. But, after looking at the poll, over a quarter of the people voted No. Looking through the comments, there really is no good explanation as to why someone might think that NWI is not a suburb of Chicago. There is no right or wrong answer, it's an opinion, but I've still not read a good explanation from someone who feels the answer is No.
Simple really, NWI is one division out of 3 that make up the area. Fort Worth isn't a suburb of Dallas, the Metroplex is literally 2 core cities with their own suburbs functioning as one large MSA. Oakland is not a suburb of San Francisco. The same applies to Chicago, NWI and WI. Granted the population differences of the 3 "core cities" heavily favors Chicago, it is still under that basic premise of 3 core cities, 3 sets of suburbs all being in one big area due to geographic location with one another even though Chicago's influence encompass all three areas.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 AM

139 posts, read 379,912 times
Far north waukegan/gurnee area

Far south Sauk village

Far west Wheaton/Lombard area

Far east munster/Hammond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs