U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:26 PM

27 posts, read 77,275 times

Advertisements

I was recently transferred to my job's south location in Blue Island, IL. I live in Roger's Park. Whereas that's not a terrible commute I'd like to move closer to work to cut down on gas as well as closer to my boyfriend who is in the Michiana area. Does anyone have any suggestions of for apartments in safe south suburbs for a white 20 something female? I'd like something near a metra line to get into the city but I don't know much of anything about the south side. Please, let me know if you have any ideas where I should start looking.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 PM

28,460 posts, read 81,422,282 times
You would probably do better with a nice quiet apartment in Beverly. Odds are total cost and relative commute from even Oak Lawn is not going to make sense unless you needed to take advantage of suburban schools...

Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM

25 posts, read 82,740 times
Try Homewood. It's relatively affordable (compared to many places) and has a Metra station, and isn't too far from Blue Island or Michiana. Park Forest has a lot of rentals, but is a bit further from Blue Island -- still a good possibility. Those are probably your best bets overall, I should think.

If you don't mind being further from the train, the north side of Chicago Heights has some nice apartments -- just case out the neighborhood ahead of times, as there are good places and bad places in the Heights. Avoid places south of Hwy 30, and don't get too far east of Halsted.

I'm not as familiar with South Holland or Lansing, but I know they have some nice areas, and are closer to Michiana.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:36 PM

Thanks guys. My biggest concerns are safety and nearness to public transit. I've only been in Chicago for a short time and a very small city before that so I tend to be very paranoid about safety issues. Plus, in my first apartment my car got broken into four times in the span of seven months when I first moved here so that didn't help my impression of Chicago.
As far as distance is concerned, I'm currently commuting upwards of 45 minutes both ways so even a half an hour is better than that. We were looking at Michigan City (I posted on here earlier asking about the commute time) but I just couldn't see travelling that long especially in the winter.
I appreciate your suggestions and will look into them. let me know if you have any additional suggestions.
Thanks!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 PM

4,111 posts, read 8,648,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstravis View Post
Park Forest has a lot of rentals
Huh? No, it doesn't. There's a few apartments off of Western Avenue and it's considered Will County. Do you mean house rentals? There are some, yeah.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:09 PM

25 posts, read 82,740 times
I used to rent in Park Forest. Several of the townhouses commonly referred to as "the co-ops" are actually rentals. Not all, but there are at least two, if not more, communities of them, within Cook County. I used to live there, as recently as a year ago. Not a bad area -- not high-end or plush, by any means, but not high crime either -- I was right across the road from the police station. And it is less than a mile from a Metra station. On that note, the Old Matteson area has a few rather inexpensive apartments within blocks of the Metra.

Homewood is probably the nicest of the areas I mentioned though. That was where I planned to move before I started looking at the real estate market and found that it was a great time to be a buyer (bought a nice, older house in one of the nicer areas of the Heights). The whole south suburban area is full of hidden gems if you look for them, but they are easy to miss.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:44 PM

26 posts, read 51,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Huh? No, it doesn't. There's a few apartments off of Western Avenue and it's considered Will County. Do you mean house rentals? There are some, yeah.
That's really shocking to me. When Park Forest was first built, it was entirely rentals. It was a planned community of rental units with a central mall. It went about 10 or 12 years before the first house was built. I remember those days because I moved from the south side of Chicago to Chicago Heights in 1955 (I think that was the right year - at my age my memory is intermittent) and my family knew people who lived in Park Forest at that time. It was all rentals.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. So far I've only been able to find three apartments and all of them had horrible reviews including a double murder a year ago and recurring sewage issues. Can I beg further suggestions? Or does anyone know specifically of a decent 1 BR apartment that takes cats in a decent area? Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:51 PM

829 posts, read 1,997,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTango View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. So far I've only been able to find three apartments and all of them had horrible reviews including a double murder a year ago and recurring sewage issues. Can I beg further suggestions? Or does anyone know specifically of a decent 1 BR apartment that takes cats in a decent area? Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

If you honestly want to rent something of quality. Check out the southtown star classified section or craigslist.com south chicagoland apartment section. I would recommend an apartment in downtown homewood or flossmoor. Plenty of bars, restaurants, small boutique stores located in downtown homewood. Downtown flossmoor is more manicured with an upscale feel. Nice establishments like the flossmoor brewery, the library, metra station, upscale spa. Kind of just for show. Downtown Homewood is more of a fully functional downtown area that encompasses quite a few streets. If you are just looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment, price shouldn't be a problem. A one bedroom in downtown flossmoor or homewood will usually range in price from $800-$1000. Depending on size and how the utilities are paid.

Here are a couple of listings.

Flossmoor:
Accept No Substitutes! Three Unique Spaces in Historic Building Now! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/apa/2493383854.html - broken link)
Studio, 1, or 2 Bedrooms-Vintage Building by Metra from $875 &Dogs OK! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/apa/2493378075.html - broken link)

Last edited by allen2323; 07-14-2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 01:59 PM

Great, thanks Allen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs