Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 PM
 
1 posts, read 11,507 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi everyone I'm new to this site and I need some help here. I'm a recent college grad (about a year ago) and I found a decent job paying 35$k a year and im saving almost every penny i earn (minus $355 in mo expenses) + im engaged and looking to move out within the next year. My parents and most of my friends are from Orland Park, IL. I would like to move out and find a place NEAR Orland and SAFE like orland park, but without the insane taxes and house prices. What would be a good city to look into thats close by orland (like within 15-20 mins), safe like orland, and taxes that arent as high for a starter home. Any and all thoughts are appreciated! (Since it is "illegal" for a realtor to help me with some of these questions)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
 
588 posts, read 1,799,844 times
Reputation: 514
Well you should already be pretty familiar with the area if your parents and friends live there. I don't think we really have to go into what are the safer or more desirable burbs in that area because you should already know that. If I were to guess I'm assuming you want to stay west of Cicero Av. It's not very hard to go on Realtor.com, put in what your budget and search criteria is and end up with your answer. As someone who's recently been in college this kind of deductive research should be second nature. Also you haven't given us what your budget is or what you consider "high" taxes.

Since you said you are engaged and are looking to move out in a year, I assume you are buying the place with your future spouse. Are your jobs and careers already set where you want to lock yourselves into a geographic location? Will you both have steady secure income or can survive on one salary if need be? One year gives you a ton of time to drive around neighborhoods, go to open houses and just overall see what areas you like or don't like with your own eyes.

Doing a quick look on Realtor I found many older starter homes in fine parts of Orland from $199,000-220,000 with taxes in the $4-5000 range. Not going to find much better than that. If that's not affordable you should rent until you can afford then, but a mortgage on that price of property will be lower than most rents. That's dirt cheap for the housing market, these houses would have been 30G+ more 4 years ago.

Last edited by ofcjim40; 07-18-2011 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 PM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Reputation: 2084
None us are certified experts (whatever that even means). We're just people from the area like you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Reputation: 6130
Crestwood give you a huge tax credit at the end of the tax year
property taxes......

safe - yes
most of the south burbs are safe , granted there are pockets of burbs that are unsafe at time

for the most part if your not dealing in drugs, weapons , prostitution etc
you will stay clear of trouble

this stigma of the south burbs being unsafe is statistically not true

most of the south burbs are safer than most areas in the usa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Northwest Indiana
157 posts, read 403,112 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Crestwood give you a huge tax credit at the end of the tax year
property taxes......
Not anymore.... That money goes to all their lawyers now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times
Reputation: 12161
If a half-hour drive isn't a showstopper, I'd definitely look at Bolingbrook -- restricting your search to places within a 15-20 minute drive of Orland Park is going to severely limit your options. See this thread on Bolingbrook:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...lace-live.html

Unless you're inheriting a huge chunk of money to put down on a house, you may have difficulty finding a mortgage at income of $35K a year *anywhere* in the USA. Even at $70K a year (assuming your future wife works), lenders are likely to look askance at the sparse credit record of a recent college grad in this economic climate. If it were me, I'd see home purchase as more of a long-term future plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 AM
 
14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Reputation: 9251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskin87 View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to this site and I need some help here. I'm a recent college grad (about a year ago) and I found a decent job paying 35$k a year and im saving almost every penny i earn (minus $355 in mo expenses) + im engaged and looking to move out within the next year. My parents and most of my friends are from Orland Park, IL. I would like to move out and find a place NEAR Orland and SAFE like orland park, but without the insane taxes and house prices. What would be a good city to look into thats close by orland (like within 15-20 mins), safe like orland, and taxes that arent as high for a starter home. Any and all thoughts are appreciated! (Since it is "illegal" for a realtor to help me with some of these questions)
Not sure buying a house on $35K makes much sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Reputation: 6130
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthood82 View Post
Not anymore.... That money goes to all their lawyers now.
Nice thing too is if a casino goes into the south burbs I have heard there are villages that will be passing on the tax breaks like crestwood did to the taxpayer.

should be a win win situation if your a homeowner in the southland
for once taxes on property could be going down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Northwest Indiana
157 posts, read 403,112 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Nice thing too is if a casino goes into the south burbs I have heard there are villages that will be passing on the tax breaks like crestwood did to the taxpayer.

should be a win win situation if your a homeowner in the southland
for once taxes on property could be going down
I wouldn't bank on that. There will be too many hands in that bucket to count. I'm guessing that the state will keep the lion's share of the revenue and disperse just enough to keep the other surrounding communities content. The same thing happened with the Indiana casinos. The cities that have casinos (Hammond, EC, Gary) managed to bloat their budgets with casino cash and are still crying poor. It turned out to be nothing like the cash cows they envisioned. The town that I reside in only receives $70,000 annually from the boats - a relative drop in the bucket compared to total budget revenues. It comes out to less than $5 a resident (and that's from 4 casinos). That amont of revenue could be replaced by just 1 restaurant opening up and paying real estate taxes. Casinos are certainly not worth the crime and corruption that comes with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Reputation: 6130
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthood82 View Post
I wouldn't bank on that. There will be too many hands in that bucket to count. I'm guessing that the state will keep the lion's share of the revenue and disperse just enough to keep the other surrounding communities content. The same thing happened with the Indiana casinos. The cities that have casinos (Hammond, EC, Gary) managed to bloat their budgets with casino cash and are still crying poor. It turned out to be nothing like the cash cows they envisioned. The town that I reside in only receives $70,000 annually from the boats - a relative drop in the bucket compared to total budget revenues. It comes out to less than $5 a resident (and that's from 4 casinos). That amont of revenue could be replaced by just 1 restaurant opening up and paying real estate taxes. Casinos are certainly not worth the crime and corruption that comes with them.
probably true but i really dont see any crime around the already existing casions over in indiana the shoe and majestic and even four winds in michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top