Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,063 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend lives in Oak Park where there are intense restrictions on overnight parking for visitors. We had to call my car in to get temporary overnight passes (a whopping 5),and have now maxed those out as well as the "extended stay" passes which we only got a small number of as well.

This parking situation is beginning to negatively impact my relationship because I now cannot spend the night with my girlfriend all because Oak Park doesn't believe visitors should have this privilege. I cannot afford the exorbitant visitor parking pass fees for the long term, so I feel like I am out of luck at the moment.

For the record, my car is not a junker, I am a resident physician (hence; broke) and there are PLENTY of empty parking spaces on her block and surrounding blocks.

I just want to have a normal relationship where I can stay with my girlfriend when we are having a romantic night together. Is that really too much to ask? Apparently, in Oak Park, it is.

Please, anyone with suggestions, help us out here. This is one time when the Romeo and Juliet forbidden love story is not romantic at all. The amount of frustration this is causing in my relationship is unbearable.

Thanks everyone for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:08 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,648,896 times
Where do you live? Can't she stay at your place?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,063 times
It's complicated, but suffice it to say that I live far from her, and she lives fairly close to the hospital where I work. And in my short time off, it would be a thousand times more convenient to stay with her for the night and then have a very short drive to work the next morning (very early).

Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,932,706 times
You can park overnight in at least two of the parking garages in downtown Oak Park (At Harlem and Ontario St and at Lake and Oak Park Ave). Its $10 for 4-10 hours, and $15 for 10+ hours.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,051,900 times
Default "I'd walk a thousand miles if I could just see you tonight"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretopark View Post
I just want to have a normal relationship where I can stay with my girlfriend when we are having a romantic night together. Is that really too much to ask? Apparently, in Oak Park, it is.

Only if shelling out a few bucks and walking a few blocks is too much to ask of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
You can park overnight in at least two of the parking garages in downtown Oak Park (At Harlem and Ontario St and at Lake and Oak Park Ave). Its $10 for 4-10 hours, and $15 for 10+ hours.
Here's another song lyric that popped into my head: "If you ain't got no money, take your broke ass home!"

Last edited by urza216; 08-03-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 04:32 PM

6,895 posts, read 22,498,254 times
Why would anyone want to live here if this is what visitors face? I don't care what the city thinks, it's still a public roadway and there should not be such stringent restrictions. Boy is Oak Park full of itself!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 PM

427 posts, read 462,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Why would anyone want to live here if this is what visitors face? I don't care what the city thinks, it's still a public roadway and there should not be such stringent restrictions. Boy is Oak Park full of itself!
Yes it is and so are many other suburbs.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
Yes it is and so are many other suburbs.
Then many parts of the city must be total narcissists. Those parking meters are insane..

Oark Park having these kind of parking restrictions makes sense. Being right next to the city and all..

Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 PM

427 posts, read 462,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Then many parts of the city must be total narcissists. Those parking meters are insane..

Oark Park having these kind of parking restrictions makes sense. Being right next to the city and all..
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about.
In the suburbs, in almost all cases, you can actually park in a store parking lot and walk to another store down the street. A bathroom might be for customers only but parking lots aren't.. Cars get booted in the city but even in Oak Park, this isn't really something that happens in the suburbs.

If parking restrictions make a place full of itself, it seems pretty obvious which is more likely to be full of itself. The city. Duh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs