Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times

Advertisements

By the way: What kind of job did you snag in Riverside? Last I heard, no one was hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 03:22 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Well I grew up in Riverside and my mother, age 101, still lives in her original house. I liked Riverside a long time ago, but not so much now. The taxes are out of sight and you get nearly nothing for what you pay. The roads are crumbling, there isn't parking downtown at the train, and the downtown area is on the brink of bankruptcy, with the old buildings not being able to be sold or fixed up. I return 2x a year. Its not a progressive, updated town, but yes, it is charming. I guess it depends on what is important to you. There is no really great shopping around either, except N Riverside Mall, which IMHO is getting to be part ghetto. Yorktown is OK but Oak brook is better, maybe.
I certainly can't dispute what you say about Riverside retail. However I don't think anyone who is interested in riverside would be interested because of the downtown stores. The town is charming even without taking the downtown into account. If every store in that downtown was shuttered it would still be more charming than most towns in the area.

Also I don't think many Riverside residents care about lack of parking at the train station. If you're a real "baller" then you can afford a house in walking distance to the station, or have your stay-at-home wife drop you off. This is the kind of lifestyle that someone interested in Riverside would expect.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM

11 posts, read 16,177 times
I would stay away from Riverside. The taxes are extremely high and although the town is designed to keep people out and is generally surrounded by forest and a river, the neighboring areas are not so hot in general. The worst economic decision Riverside ever made was turning down the North Riverside mall.

Anyhow, my family that has lived there and raised their kids there are looking to sell and get out at this point. The upside though, is that I would suspect there to be a very healthy level of housing inventory over the next 10 years or so as he elderly pass away and boomers sell their property.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,065 times
riverside is nice. not sure about the situation for home owners. i do remember there being apartments there too. you could also consider la grange which is nice and very nearby. similarly oak park and river forest. depending the kind of commute that's acceptable, you could even go out towards hinsdale, downers grove, oak brook, etc.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 PM

73 posts, read 326,072 times
try la grange, la grange park, or hinsdale. Just as beautiful as riverside and still near bnsf metra service.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:16 AM

57 posts, read 134,745 times
I lived in Riverside, a block from the Metra, from the age of 25 to 27. Have 2 kids and absolutely loved it, as did my stay at home missus. I was under half of your family inciome so no worries for you there.

People are lovely and friendly, I would be perfectly happy for my missus to walk around on her own / with the kids at midnight (except that the kids would be in bed.. but you get my meaning!) and it was gorgeous. Lots of nice parks within walking distance, and also seemed convenient for decent enough schools although our kids were younger than school age.

I would move back (turned 30 this month) in a heartbeat. It's only 15 mins on the Metra or driving without traffice (40 mins drive in the AM rush) to Downtown Chicago, 30 odd minutes out to Naperville so you're never far from a night out and you can still enjoy being young as well as the more family oriented confines of your house.

Architecture is amazing, every house is different to the one next to it - fantastic place to live. I've never ever seen or lived anywhere (and I've lived in 20ish houses in the US and UK) that quite compares. Enjoy it!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 AM

44 posts, read 139,609 times
I am amazed at the number of recommendations for Berwyn on this board. There is no way I would consider purchasing a house there unless being near gang activity is a top priority for someone.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
By the way: What kind of job did you snag in Riverside? Last I heard, no one was hiring.
I'm kind of curious about that myself since Riverside is almost entirely residential. The only thing I can think of is the 7-11 at 26th and Harlem. Maybe they would relocate someone to manage that store?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
I find it charming. My dad grew up there and after leaving I do not think he was ever the same. Long story. I like that its not updated. Its not dilapidated its just that I think people there do not want it to be updated. they want to keep it like it is. Its very refreshing to go there, no real chain restaurants....its kind of like a throw back to the past. several generations of my family lived there. My dad said he could hear the lions roaring at the zoo from his house.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM

56 posts, read 63,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I find it charming. My dad grew up there and after leaving I do not think he was ever the same. Long story. I like that its not updated. Its not dilapidated its just that I think people there do not want it to be updated. they want to keep it like it is. Its very refreshing to go there, no real chain restaurants....its kind of like a throw back to the past. several generations of my family lived there. My dad said he could hear the lions roaring at the zoo from his house.
Your dad is exactly right! I grew up in Riverside in the 50's. We moved to Phoenix when I was 11. I lived on Longcommon Rd. just across from Central School and the church. Well, anyway, on quiet nights, we could, indeed, hear the lions from Brookfield Zoo roaring! Thanks for that wonderful memory of a community that will always be my home town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs