Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:46 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstravis View Post
I was referring to Vollmer Road. I guess technically the Lincoln Hwy stuff is Olympia Fields, but I don't even think of it as such, so that was not on my mind. FYI, I am familiar with the area. I teach in Matteson, and I do private teaching in Homewood. I have lived in Park Forest and currently life in Chicago Heights. So between daily drives and social life, I've developed a fair amount of familiarity.

Oh okay. Never mind then..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:12 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,098,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Well Hinsdale is very affluent, but I think that the income in the Flossmoor/OF area could possibly support a Whole Foods. It is about price, but ALSO about lifestyle as well. There are also stores in Palatine, Wheaton, and Willowbrook (which are pretty middle to upper middle income areas). Now granted, those three towns are in overall more affluent areas than Flossmoor which could be the reason that a store is not located in Flossmoor. A store is most likely to locate in a place like Orland only because within a larger radius, the avg income is higher around Orland than around Flossmoor...but I still feel that a Whole Foods could work.
agree with urza you really do not see too much 'Chain' development in flossmoor
and to me the most logical place for a whole foods if it were to come into the area would be orland.

as mentioned by urza even the jewel on rt 30 across the way from the new food 4 less has gone out.

whole foods would need to draw from a larger base or percentage of their target demographic
orland park could easily foot that bill and now that its brought up i am shocked there is not a whole foods there already

the other factor is the grocery business anyplace other than the food deserts are extremely competitive anyplace in chicagoland

Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1975 View Post
This is the approach we took initially. The problem is my job is in Hammond and the closest area as described would be Willowbrook and Downers Grove area. Im not sure if a daily commute to Hammond from any suburb in that area would be reasonable.
Midwest your all over the board on this subject now your looking in downersgrove!
here all along i thought your criteria was close to hammond and everything was based on this fact.

downers grove is a completely different make up than anyplace mentioned and it makes me wonder if your serous or just pulling peoples legs on this thread

i agree with the other posters you seem to be finding fault in every area
have you even been to these locations?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:38 AM

247 posts, read 688,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Midwest your all over the board on this subject now your looking in downersgrove!
here all along i thought your criteria was close to hammond and everything was based on this fact.

downers grove is a completely different make up than anyplace mentioned and it makes me wonder if your serous or just pulling peoples legs on this thread

i agree with the other posters you seem to be finding fault in every area
have you even been to these locations?
He's not looking in Downers Grove; he said that and Willowbrook were some of the areas close to Whole Foods, but too far from Hammond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Orland and Oak Forest aren't any more diverse than the "nice" NWI towns the OP was talking about.
Orland Park is more diverse than it used to be. Schools are mostly white (around 80%), but there are also black, Arab, Asian and Hispanic students mixed in.

Personally, I love Homewood/Flossmoor. Ironically, I used to always get stuck behind Whole Foods semi trucks when driving to and from work in Lansing. They have a distribution center in Munster. There is also a store called Baums Natural Foods in Munster and St. John. I don't know much about it, other than some of the health nuts I used to work with would shop there.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:39 AM

Okay, so it still makes me wonder why living in the same village, town, city as a whole foods is so important when there are alternatives including the stores that you mentioned in your post

Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Okay, so it still makes me wonder why living in the same village, town, city as a whole foods is so important when there are alternatives including the stores that you mentioned in your post...
Funny, isn't it?

Anyone who wonders how suburban sprawl became so widespread, just needs to check out some of the threads on this forum.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post

Orland Park is more diverse than it used to be.
The same can be said for many of the NWI towns that are pegged as being "white areas".

Last edited by urza216; 08-20-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-20-2011, 03:00 PM

I agree with urza ,

I have noticed a bit more diversity in parts of Indiana
In fact I was in Munster at Applebees and I was clearly the minority
(these are just facts not looking to start a race issue or thread on this topic it was just a simple observation)

Orland too is getting more diverse there too I was at the new chic fil a
and was the minority again

not a bad thing its just becoming diverse

Old 08-20-2011, 03:05 PM

south hammond and munster are good areas
but by and large
indiana is just a more conservative state than its neighbor to the West

Old 08-20-2011, 07:21 PM

247 posts, read 688,294 times
Generally, the majority of the people in the Munster Applebee's are not from Munster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs