Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 24,539 times

Advertisements

Last couple years I've been living in Schiller Park and driving to work taking I294 to Ogden. That was working out great because on I294 traffic is usually big north bound in the morning and south bound in the evening.

My office is relocating to Burr Ridge and I was thinking about relocating to west suburbs, maybe Naperville. I was wondering how the traffic looks on I355, I88 and I55 in the morning vs evening.

I wouldn't want to spend more than half an hour in the traffic each way and was wandering which other burbs I should consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The traffic patterns if you were to commute to Burr Ridfe from Naperville would not be pleasant. Due to large volumes of traffic going eastbound AM and westbound PM ypir commute would easily exceed 30 minutes.

My recommendation would be to explore communities to the north and possibly east of Burr Ridge, or communities adjacent to BR via surface streets.

Depending on your needs / wants you might start in some place like Countryside, Lagrange, Willow Springs, Palos Hills or Darien...

Old 08-28-2011, 03:04 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
I work in Willowbrook, almost literally across the street from Burr Ridge. We have several employees who live in Naperville, and they take 75th St. to work, which is typically a half hour drive, maybe 40 minutes when there are traffic issues. Forget about I-55, it is completely full from Plainfield all the way downtown. As for I-88, from the traffic reports there are always traffic back ups in various pockets throughout DuPage County, also, 88 would only be convenient if you lived in north Naperville. Take a look at central Naperville, around 75th St.

Better yet would be to follow the above advice, and look at LaGrange, Western Springs, Countryside area. Great towns, 15 minutes from Burr Ridge and no need to deal with expressways. You might even find something in your price range in Burr Ridge itself, it's not all extremely expensive. If you want to live in DuPage County, look at Willowbrook and Darien.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks, that's great info. I was looking at Naperville because there's a climbing gym in Warrenville, that would be nice for us to be bit closer to. Also, my wife just finished her associate in graphic design and looking for work and depending where she finds it we might pick one city over another.

What about 355, does it have similar traffic patterns to 294?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
There is a Lifetime Fitness in Burr Ridge. Its nowhere as extensive an indoor climbing facility in Warrenville, but it is more manageable distance...

355 has somewhat similar traffic issues as 294 -- more traffic head north than south at the southern tail and lots of volume both ways throughnthe midsection. Realistically 355 does not add many options to a commute that involves working in Burr Ridge, 355 is much too far west of BR to help...

Off the top of my head I can't thing of any major employers in Naperville that have a big staff of graphics people -- probably end up with a job inn the Loop. Towns with Metra access might be a good idea...

Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
I would concur, creative jobs in graphic arts are probably most likely downtown. In that case, towns adjacent to Burr Ridge could be a bit far from Metra, though there is some Pace bus service to the train stations during rush hour. Your best bet would be a town along the BN Metra line, i.e. LaGrange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills or Westmont. All are within a half hour or less from Burr Ridge, and about 30 minutes or so from downtown on the express trains. They would also be a quick commute to employment in the Oak Brook area.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs