Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 20,909 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to Chicago over the labor day weekend and want to park in a suburb and take the Metra into the city in order to avoid the astronomical parking fees in the city.

So my question is this, what suburban town/village offers extended overnight parking (3-4 days) and would be relatively cheap/safe to leave a car there unattended.

EDIT: I should narrow the areas I'm looking at a bit to give you guys a better idea of what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about coming up I-57. I know University Park is the first stop on the metra there. It seems, from what I've been reading, that if I call them about parking there overnight they'll allow it. But is the lot safe to leave my car unattended for several days?

Last edited by Sonofglory08; 08-31-2011 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 04:42 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofglory08 View Post
I'm coming to Chicago over the labor day weekend and want to park in a suburb and take the Metra into the city in order to avoid the astronomical parking fees in the city.

So my question is this, what suburban town/village offers extended overnight parking (3-4 days) and would be relatively cheap/safe to leave a car there unattended.

EDIT: I should narrow the areas I'm looking at a bit to give you guys a better idea of what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about coming up I-57. I know University Park is the first stop on the metra there. It seems, from what I've been reading, that if I call them about parking there overnight they'll allow it. But is the lot safe to leave my car unattended for several days?
Picked this up from a google search but call them and ask
Weekdays 8:00am to 5:00pm CT

Metra Passenger Services

(312) 322-6777

Would hate to see you go to your destination and come back to a lot without an automobile

I would tend to think the lots would not want to see people making a habit of overnight parking and would tow your car in a heartbeat

Old 09-12-2011, 01:18 PM

46 posts, read 99,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofglory08 View Post

Although we do not plan to be in Oak Forest much longer I have lived here my whole life and can not believe how much crime has gone up. The Metra parking lot is hit all the time with people stealing the catalytic converters off cars and breaking into them. I would not recommend the oak forest lot to park your car in.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshw997 View Post
Although we do not plan to be in Oak Forest much longer I have lived here my whole life and can not believe how much crime has gone up. The Metra parking lot is hit all the time with people stealing the catalytic converters off cars and breaking into them. I would not recommend the oak forest lot to park your car in.
Looks like you made the same mistake I did, the poster was here over labor day wknd .

hopefully he went home with his catalytic convertor

Old 09-16-2011, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 20,909 times
I parked at the University Park metra station for 3 nights without a problem. There was a cop patrolling the lot when i got there and he even told me that I might not have to pay since it was a holiday weekend. I went ahead and paid anyways because the last thing i wanted was a parking ticket 3 states away.

Anyway, my trip went off without a hitch. Overnight parking at the UP metra station wasn't a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs