Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 AM

474 posts, read 2,539,081 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends:

I am at the point that I can no longer keep up with my original posts and threads. There are too many.
Although I have asked people about the SOUTH SHORE ELECTRIC RAILROAD SYSTEM - - and perhaps someone has already answered my questions - - I did a little research on my own.
It turns out that the Chicago METRA vast commuter railroad system operates the METRA - SOUTH SHORE RAILROAD. This is the original SOUTH SHORE ELECTRIC RAILRAD SYSTEM. And it is doing well. However, it has limited trains back and forth between the Millenium Station (downtown Chicago?) and the South Bend, Indiana airport.
So to reiterate, it would be quite possible for someone working in downtown Chicago, to then live and commute from Indiana. One particular city would be Chesterton, Indiana. We have friends living in that town and it seems to be a nice area since I have been through there one time.
This is a somewhat novel idea that an Indiana realtor once suggested. Perhaps this will help you?
Once somebody commutes to downtown Chicago via the South Shore RR, then one has many choices of public transportation in downtown Chicago.

Carter Glass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 08:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I'm sorry, I just have to ask... what is with all these completely random posts out of nowhere?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Random Posts

Dear Friend:

On the Chicago Forums, people are interested in learning all they can about Chicago's jobs, housing, schools & transportation. All of my posts - - although some of them not exactly related - - are written to assist people to do a smooth transition to Chicago. In the case of this particular 'OP', someone originating another post actually talked about the transportation modes in first getting into Chicago and then with public transportation around Chicago. Another 'op' (not mine) talked about the possibility of living in Indiana and then commuting from there. I thought that was a good idea to pick up on it as an 'op'.
Since I try to help everybody with their Chicago goals - - and there are many people who seem to want to move to Chicago - - I try to steer them with possible caveats and also good suggestions.
As an avocation - - along with my sister - - we are both authors. She has published a definitive book on the history of Chicago - - A book that Chicago's Mayor Daily has personally endorsed.
So with my knowledge in various subjects, I try to help people. Where would I place such as this subject for interested people to move to Chicago? I don't know. It certainly would not go in the Business Forum.

Carter Glass

Old 08-18-2007, 07:48 PM

62 posts, read 224,769 times
I agree that the S. Shore line is a good option for those that want to live more inexpensively in NW Indiana, but work in Chicago. My good friends just moved to a larger home in Ogden Dunes from the Gold Coast and commute daily using the S. Shore train (45 min commute), and are happy with their choice.

Also, my family and I use the S. Shore Line a few times each month to visit eachother, and it serves us well. It is on time within about 10 min. each trip, clean, and the ride is usually relaxing. Cost is around $11.00 from S. Bend to Millenium Station for an adult.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:51 AM

Default Hello Bogey

Dear Friend:

I am familiar with the Olgavie Station (spelling?) and Union Station - - both in downtown Chicago. However, I am not familiar with the Millenium Railroad station. Could you talk a little about it. For example, is it a full sized railroad station or just the end stop on the South Shore Line? Where exactly is it located in Chicago?
Thank you for your comments.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 08-19-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
It turns out that the Chicago METRA vast commuter railroad system operates the METRA - SOUTH SHORE RAILROAD.
Metra does not operate the South Shore line. That is operated by the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
I am familiar with the Olgavie Station (spelling?) and Union Station - - both in downtown Chicago. However, I am not familiar with the Millenium Railroad station. Could you talk a little about it. For example, is it a full sized railroad station or just the end stop on the South Shore Line? Where exactly is it located in Chicago?
Thank you for your comments.
That is the former Randolph Street station. It is on the corner of Michigan and Randolph -- right by the former Amoco Tower (now the Aon Tower) and one block north of the Art Institute. It is not as large as Union Station or Ogilvie. It is the terminal station for both the South Shore line and the Metra Electric line. The main branch of the Metra Electric goes to University Park. There are two "offshoot branches" from the main line; one to 93rd Street and South Chicago Avenue in the city, the other goes to Blue Island.

There is one more Metra terminal in downtown Chicago -- the LaSalle Street station. This station terminates the Metra Rock Island line to/from Joliet (plus its "sub-branch" through Beverly & Morgan Park). This is the only line the LaSalle station serves.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:17 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm sorry, I just have to ask... what is with all these completely random posts out of nowhere?
Your very rude and disrespectful .I'm sorry,I just had to say that

Old 08-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Hello Drover & Nanannie

Dear Friends:

Thank you for your comments regarding this subject. Of lately, I have had an interest in riding the South Shore train to South Bend, Indiana. That's because I have not been on it for more than forty years. So I appreciate this information - - though somewhat complex even for me. That's regarding oll of the related stations / trains with the Randolph Station, The La Salle Station and the Millenium station.
If I do take the South Shore to Indiana, I would probably have become lost prior to all of this information. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 08-20-2007, 09:38 PM

62 posts, read 224,769 times
Drover nailed the Millenium Station location exactly. You must descend stairs to enter the station from the corner of Michigan and Randolph, which is not convenient for all. Once underground in the station, I find it quite pleasant. There are ticket booths located there, or you can purchase your ticket on the train. I learned the hard way that it's cheaper ($1 cheaper I think) to purchase the ticket from the booth when it's open. If you are travelling through to S. Bend, you should sit toward the front of the train, since they usually drop a few cars along the way.

You can learn all about the South Shore Line schedule at Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District. I bid you a pleasant ride.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Your very rude and disrespectful .I'm sorry,I just had to say that
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs