Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
TRH TRH started this thread

24 posts, read 34,777 times

Advertisements

Looking for any advice, tips, etc. Moving from north of Philadelphia to NW Chicago area. My wife's job will be in the northern side of Niles.
Probably looking to rent a home, condo, townhome (NO apartment complex!!!!) somewhere 1st (reasonable pricing, just like anyone would want...) before buying.
Looking for a commute of probably about 30 minutes or less. Have 2 small children and looking for a low-crime town as well.

Also, where is the best place to search for area rentals? Craigslist? Some cities have the best deals and variety on Craigslist while other towns cities i've looked at in the past have weak Craigslist presence and have other local websites that produce more rental options.
The "typical" apartments.com type of sites are atrocious, most focusing on over-priced apartment developments, many time mislabeling them as "condos".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:32 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Wait, do you want to live in the nearby area, or Chicago?

I work in Niles too, technically (off of Touhy). I live in Chicago. I can commute to work by car in 15 minutes. By bicycle in 35.

Niles itself is really nice, as is Park Ridge and nearby Evanston, Skokie and Morton Grove. Lots of choices.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:52 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
It depends on your budget. I live in N Niles by Golf Mill. It is a decent area but not really great. A lot of old and blue collar people. Glenview especially around the Glen and Park Ridge are more high scale and not a long commute.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It depends on your budget. I live in N Niles by Golf Mill. It is a decent area but not really great. A lot of old and blue collar people. Glenview especially around the Glen and Park Ridge are more high scale and not a long commute.
True. While the Glen is nice, I prefer the feel of older parts of Glenview. Mature trees and older homes with more charm. Perhaps more affordable as well compared to the Glen.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 AM
TRH TRH started this thread

24 posts, read 34,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Wait, do you want to live in the nearby area, or Chicago?

I work in Niles too, technically (off of Touhy). I live in Chicago. I can commute to work by car in 15 minutes. By bicycle in 35.

Niles itself is really nice, as is Park Ridge and nearby Evanston, Skokie and Morton Grove. Lots of choices.

Not looking to live in the city limits. She's working in the very north end of Niles and i was thinking north, north-west of there. I don't want to spend over 2K a month in rent.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 PM

I'd say any of the areas surrounding and including Niles are acceptable. Niles and Des Plaines are probably the lesser desirable suburbs in the area.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
If the children are school aged or soon to be school age that should be a large factor. You have fair to excellent elementary schools in the previously mentioned towns.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:41 AM

433 posts, read 1,929,895 times
I've never heard of the "Glen" (is that really it's name?). Does it have a downtown area/metra stop?

Also- how is the downtown of Glenview?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
I've never heard of the "Glen" (is that really it's name?). Does it have a downtown area/metra stop?

Also- how is the downtown of Glenview?
The Glen of North Glenview is a Metra stop serving developments built following closure of the Air Base.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The Glen of North Glenview is a Metra stop serving developments built following closure of the Air Base.
Yep a little over a decade Glenview Naval Air station closed and the large area it occupied is now all upscale new houses and shopping centers. It stretches anywhere E of Greenwood, W of Waukegan RD, N of East Lake st. and S of Willow Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs