Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times

Advertisements

No way is the traffic in the burbs (exceptions Oakbrook area and Schaumburg) worse than the city.

I have lived in Cicero/Berwyn/Oak park areas, those are bad. And so is the City itself. I get such a kick out of the people out here in St. Charles complaining about the traffic backups - Puh-lease... anything in the city is way worse. And Schaumburg, don't even go there during rush hour.

I am familiar with western burbs, like Elmhurst, Villa park, Lombard, Berkeley (nice little town), and Hillside. Also Cicero because we rented there for many years and family still owns property there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,571 times
Default i wish i had read this thread before...

I moved to Waukegan 2 months ago and it is not a good place for me! Downtown is really desolate at night and though I live in an ok neighborhood crazy people come by all the time. A couple nights ago someone attempted to rape me on the way home from the train. I'm moving as soon as possible!

Old 08-22-2007, 05:11 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Naperville has a big young professional crowd, as well as a big college scene. Downtown is lively and is jammed on the weekend with all types of people, great place!

Naperville Restaurants Bars Clubs Entertainment
I've heard Naperville's downtown is great! But I've also heard it's pretty much a family town -- not a lot of areas with a lot of single people, even if the amenities appeal to single people. Is that the case, or have I heard wrong?

Thanks for the link -- looks like an area I'd very much enjoy!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Make no mistake, a lot of Waukegan can definitely be considered the 'hood (ghetto). Same with North Chicago (the city of North Chicago which is located in Lake County, Illinois). Post industrial rustbelt suburbs filled with lower income residents, and criminal elements such as gangs and drug dealing. I'd move too if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuugen View Post
I moved to Waukegan 2 months ago and it is not a good place for me! Downtown is really desolate at night and though I live in an ok neighborhood crazy people come by all the time. A couple nights ago someone attempted to rape me on the way home from the train. I'm moving as soon as possible!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 PM

124 posts, read 413,486 times
What about Bensenville? Good place to raise a family or not? Traffic not a big deal probably wont be commuting to far.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Not as nice as its neighbor,Elmhurst.If you can afford a house there,go for it instead.And remember,the market is flooded with houses/townhomes waiting to be sold,,you may strike a great deal.I know someone selling her townhouse (3 br,2 bath,all brick,walk to school/shopping) for under 3.Check Realtor.com.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Bensenville is right near O'Hare. So you may have issues with airport traffic noise - they are expanding runways at O'Hare and they have been in and out of the courts about it. Although it is convenient to industrial parks if that is where your line of work is. And next to Elk grove village in which there are lots of jobs there too.

Elmhurst is good and excellent schools, but big bucks. And if you buy a smaller house, be aware that you may be living next to a behemoth teardown mansion someday and you won't be able to do anything about it.
Check out: http://www.buildersgonewild.com/

Although maybe that mania has subsided with the mortgage biz going soft now.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:26 PM

14 posts, read 78,903 times
I would disagree with your Bolingbrook comment -- the school system is bad as well.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 PM

14 posts, read 78,903 times
U would b bored as a singleton in Naperville....

Old 08-25-2007, 12:11 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
Orland Park is cheaper, but it's also got a lot of traffic and will still feel 'remote' after the North-South Tollway extension opens. It feels like 'sprawl on the prairie,' because that's what it is.

I had an incident with a car wash in Schaumburg in February, and was taping up my car (back window was shattered) in Glen Ellyn when I was offered assistance by a very nice middle-aged couple. Glen Ellyn has a rep for having nice people that are a little slower paced than those in Naperville or Orland or Woodfield.

I still lust for the North Shore ... will be staying in Deerfield on my next visit.
Lake Forest is beautiful, but watch out for the police.

As a mid-20s male, I can't beat Evanston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs