U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 11:07 AM

11 posts, read 28,550 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking at 2 houses. one in skokie, touhy and crawford area, and the other in morton grove. menard and lincoln area. I am not familiar with these areas. But morton grove would be a farther move for me. Which would retain more value? which is considered more prestigious? any future outlooks for these 2 areas? new developments coming up or changes? morton grove home is about 5600 sqfeet lot but on a corner lot which i like and has a garage and is a ranch house BUT smaller liviveable sq feet. skokie house has no garage and apporx. 4900 sq feet lot but is a cape cod with 1800 sq. ft liveable area. If you know these areas any advice would help. I currently dont know what house is worth more, the comps i was given by my agent arent exactly comps because of the conditon of the houses. What house style would be more desirable in these areas? Any advice or input helps. And any info about those 2 areas would be great! Thanks Again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM

721 posts, read 1,727,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcabrera View Post
I am currently looking at 2 houses. one in skokie, touhy and crawford area, and the other in morton grove. menard and lincoln area. I am not familiar with these areas. But morton grove would be a farther move for me. Which would retain more value? which is considered more prestigious? any future outlooks for these 2 areas? new developments coming up or changes? morton grove home is about 5600 sqfeet lot but on a corner lot which i like and has a garage and is a ranch house BUT smaller liviveable sq feet. skokie house has no garage and apporx. 4900 sq feet lot but is a cape cod with 1800 sq. ft liveable area. If you know these areas any advice would help. I currently dont know what house is worth more, the comps i was given by my agent arent exactly comps because of the conditon of the houses. What house style would be more desirable in these areas? Any advice or input helps. And any info about those 2 areas would be great! Thanks Again!
Lincoln and Menard in Morton Grove isn't very far from Touhy and Crawford in Skokie. Depending on which side of Lincoln you're on in Morton Grove, you can either land in Parkview of District 69, which if you have kids should probably be the deciding factor. Parkview is a better school than the three district 69 schools, so I'd look into that.

Lincolnwood overall is probably more prestigious than the other two, as it has "The Towers," but overall they're pretty good areas. Skokie has a few rough patches, but nothing really disastrous. Property taxes are also significantly higher in Morton Grove than they are in Skokie!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 PM

62 posts, read 214,300 times
I would choose the house at Crawford/Touhy, solely to be closer to the bakery there (Schlaegel's). Yum! Also, there's Renga Tei for sushi at that intersection, Wholly Frijoles is tasty and I have yet to try the Cuban restaurant there. It would be great to walk to those places.
Good luck with your choice!

Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 PM

5,479 posts, read 11,673,328 times
Quote:
I agree with the previous poster to stay clear of Dist 69. Parkview, Golf, Lincolnwood and East Prairie are all good elementary districts.
Do you have a preference for Niles North vs. Niles West?
Lincolnwood goes to West, I believe the other 3 go to North.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:40 AM

11 posts, read 28,550 times
well my son has already started school in a cps school. freshman in high school. would it be too late to transfer him for this year? i believe that the closest school is niles west. so overall what would you all pick?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
well my son has already started school in a cps school. freshman in high school. would it be too late to transfer him for this year? i believe that the closest school is niles west. so overall what would you all pick?
It doesn't work on which school is closest. It works based on which school falls into your district which is based on your address. So if you want West, make sure the house you buy is in the Niles West district boundaries.
If you can show legal proof of residency, yes your son can transfer anytime. Check with the new school to see what is needed for registration.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:24 PM

721 posts, read 1,727,498 times
Parkview sends its graduates to Niles West. Golf and East Prairie go to Niles North. All of Lincolnwood goes to Niles West. Niles West and North are one district, just split into two schools. The house you're looking at in Morton Grove would send your kids to Niles West. Touhy and Crawford is still in Lincolnwood, I don't think Skokie starts until Crawford and Howard, so either way, your son would go to Niles West.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Parkview sends its graduates to Niles West. Golf and East Prairie go to Niles North. All of Lincolnwood goes to Niles West. Niles West and North are one district, just split into two schools. The house you're looking at in Morton Grove would send your kids to Niles West. Touhy and Crawford is still in Lincolnwood, I don't think Skokie starts until Crawford and Howard, so either way, your son would go to Niles West.
Jarvis is the boundary between the 2 for the most part between Cicero and the industrial area east of Crawford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs