Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM

142 posts, read 537,884 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We might be moving from the DC area to the Chicago area. I would be working in Wheaton and husband would be working in Vernon Hills. Can you recommend an area that would allow us both a reasonable commute? We have children so schools are important. We would really like to find a charming area (which I know is subjective but I think there is some degree of a universal understanding of the concept...maybe?). Price is not really an issue. I really appreciate your advice. Looking at a map I see that Shaumburgh is a possibility but I know nothing about the area. I did a search for it and I got the impression that Hoffman Estates is nicer than Schaumburg but I have no idea. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:07 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Arlington Heights close to Rte 53 access. It takes me 30 minutes in AM rush to get from Palatine Rd/Rte 83 to I-355 and Roosevelt Rd. So Wheaton would be about 40-45 minutes, it would be opposite heavier rush hour traffic. It would be about 25-30 minutes to Vernon Hills as well.
Schaumburg is OK and puts you closer to work and husband farther; IMO Arlington Heights has more character than Schaumburg or Hoffman. Elk Grove may be worth a look from a commuting standpoint, again staying close to I-290/Rte53 expressway.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:55 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Oak Park.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannobanano View Post
I did a search for it and I got the impression that Hoffman Estates is nicer than Schaumburg but I have no idea.
They're about the same, but north H.E. is nicer than the part near Schaumburg. North H.E. also goes to Barrington or Palatine schools, which are highly ranked.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:11 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
I wouldn't call either Hoffman or Schaumburg "charming". I would thinking about living pretty close to work for 1 of you and less so for the other, based on who will be responsible for them when the school calls that a kid is sick and needs to go home or who cooks dinner the most. Wheaton is a charming town, as is Glen Ellyn. Arlington Hts is probably a good middle point. Maybe Barrington.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Oak Park.
And this provides a reasonble commute to both Vernon Hills AND Wheaton?!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:48 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Of course it does no such thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And this provides a reasonble commute to both Vernon Hills AND Wheaton?!
Oak Park would be a poor choice, frankly so would Hoffman Estates. Either of those results in a "triangular" commute through some of the more congested junctions of expressways. In the Chicago region the point where 290 crosses 88 & 294 is pretty awful as is the point where 90 crosses 53/ 355. Really worth avoiding!

Arligton Heights is a much better option if you are seeking a "equally bad for both of us" type commute but at least you do get a fairly nice town to live with and a balanced commute with decent options.

I tend to lean toward a suggestion from above to try to pick a town where at least one of you has a shorter commute if you have kids in day care / that need after school rides and such. In my experience that is a better solution for two income couples.

I would have no problems recommending Wheaton or Glen Ellyn in such a situation and if the primary care giver is working in Vernon Hills a home in say Northbrook, Glenview or Deerfield is worth investigating.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:28 PM

The only thing that kept me from suggesting Wheaton or Glen Ellyn, is uncertainty about the commute north to Vernon Hills in the AM and back home in the PM. The idea of primary care giver being close to school is quite valid.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:49 PM

142 posts, read 537,884 times
Wow, a lot to think about. Thanks for the great suggestions. Even Arlington Heights would be a bad commute? Coming from the DC area (which now has the distinction of being ranked #1 in the nation for longest commute), what is meant by a long commute in the Chicago area? According to a quick search, it seems it would be about a half hour without traffic. How long would it be during rush hour on an average day to either location? Thanks again.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Default Thought that was answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannobanano View Post
Wow, a lot to think about. Thanks for the great suggestions. Even Arlington Heights would be a bad commute? Coming from the DC area (which now has the distinction of being ranked #1 in the nation for longest commute), what is meant by a long commute in the Chicago area? According to a quick search, it seems it would be about a half hour without traffic. How long would it be during rush hour on an average day to either location? Thanks again.
I thought that was answered:
Quote:
cubssoxfan Arlington Heights close to Rte 53 access. It takes me 30 minutes in AM rush to get from Palatine Rd/Rte 83 to I-355 and Roosevelt Rd. So Wheaton would be about 40-45 minutes, it would be opposite heavier rush hour traffic. It would be about 25-30 minutes to Vernon Hills as well.
Palatine and rte 83 are in the Chicago map of the Rand McNally Atlas to give you a geographic perspective. Possibly more important is traffic flow. traffic is less congested going south rte53/I-290 in the Am and going north in the PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs