Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 PM

24 posts, read 42,434 times

Advertisements

While I don't disagree with the advice above dealing with the commute, this summer the travel has been exceptionally bad which won't be the norm. There has been major work done on Lake Cook and 22 with minor work being done on Deerfield Road (still felt major with the delays). This made all three horrible choices for travelling and thus people tried finding alternate routes which slowed those down as well. Just to give you an idea, those are three consecutive roads that go E-W and it has been brutal.

I think your three choices are reasonable for a commute to Northbrook. It would probably mean a 25 minute commute with 40 mins when dealing with bad construction. A home in Northbrook, Glenview, Deerfield, Wilmette, HP, etc. will mean a shorter commute but you will pay far more in housing + taxes to live there. Don't get me wrong, they all have benefits so you are getting some great things for the money but you can't just say I'll choose Northbrook over Long Grove or VH to save on commute and just leave it at that. I'd guess a $650k home in Northbrook or Glenview would cost $475k in VH and that doesn't even take taxes into account (fair warning, I pulled these numbers out of my a$$ based on my knowledge of the area and thus might not be a true indication of the price difference).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post
While I don't disagree with the advice above dealing with the commute, this summer the travel has been exceptionally bad which won't be the norm. There has been major work done on Lake Cook and 22 with minor work being done on Deerfield Road (still felt major with the delays). This made all three horrible choices for travelling and thus people tried finding alternate routes which slowed those down as well. Just to give you an idea, those are three consecutive roads that go E-W and it has been brutal.

I think your three choices are reasonable for a commute to Northbrook. It would probably mean a 25 minute commute with 40 mins when dealing with bad construction. A home in Northbrook, Glenview, Deerfield, Wilmette, HP, etc. will mean a shorter commute but you will pay far more in housing + taxes to live there. Don't get me wrong, they all have benefits so you are getting some great things for the money but you can't just say I'll choose Northbrook over Long Grove or VH to save on commute and just leave it at that. I'd guess a $650k home in Northbrook or Glenview would cost $475k in VH and that doesn't even take taxes into account (fair warning, I pulled these numbers out of my a$$ based on my knowledge of the area and thus might not be a true indication of the price difference).
Construction has made it worse, but the traffic flow and having fewer E/W routes because of the Des Plaines river and forest preserve contribute to the problem. 25 minutes from VH or Long Grove to Northbrook Only if it's not during rush hour

Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,179 times
Again, a big thanks to everyone who responded. I went over the times with him, and he said 40 minutes is just too much. It looks like we should be either north or south of Northbrook. It pains me to spend that much more, for less house. Oh, well, such is life. We are now beginning our search in earnest. Thanks again everyone.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:01 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I would not focus on "less house for the money" as much as "better life for the money". That includes more time to spend with family, better schools, a tighter sense of community...

Good Luck!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:11 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would not focus on "less house for the money" as much as "better life for the money". That includes more time to spend with family, better schools, a tighter sense of community...

Good Luck!
Very true! People look at the 3500SF house on 3/4 acre in Long Grove and then bemoan moving to "Only" a 2700SF house on 1/5 acre in Glenview. AND they forget that they are in a typically:
  • More walkable neighborhood with actual sidewalks
  • Parks are walking distance not, need to drive to
  • Closer to Chicago proper
  • usually more restaurants and shopping in closer distances
  • better traffic patterns and easier commutes
  • less yard and house to clean, maintain, heat and cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs