Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 23,394 times

Advertisements

Native Chicagoan returning (with mixed feelings) from 7 wonderful yrs in South Carolina to chase a ridiculous raise- note daughter count below. Grew up in Wilmette and Lincolnshire (when it was the end of the earth- it actually had a strip joint at Milwaukee and 22) HS at Loyola Academy. Trying to determine where to plant the family (4 young daughters and wife). Pricepoint 500K to max of 800K but schools and proximity to train / O'Hare critical. I'm tentatively looking at West Lake Bluff (higher end), and Prairie Crossing in Grayslake (may send kids to parochial school there). I think I know most of the benefits of both areas, but looking for additional counsel on those areas and others that may be up and comers with "bang for the buck." Of course, I'm assuming Lake Bluff hasn't changed much aside from the pricepoint increase. Seeking to avoid Naperville- fyi.

In particular a synopsis of the sprawl over the last 7 years is appreciated.

My hunch is that the market has not bottomed out based on the subprime bs / overbuilt market so I also don't want to take a bath.

Different subject, what kind of lowballs are people making at this point? I've heard as much as 10 to 15 % short of list for product that has been on the market for a while.

Would love to find 3000+ updated SF in Evanston or Wilmette , but doubt it can be done.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 02:10 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
Since the crazy real estate boom that just ended, prices are high now. A relative of mine just bought a 3000 sq ft home around Lincolnwood for $800k. I know nothing about Grayslake other than it sounds far. But if you want to stay north (I prefer north too) it may be a good option as would Lake Bluff. How about Lake Zurich? Glenview? Buffalo Grove or Arlington Heights? You may want to poke around REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and do some research. Let me know how it goes.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:37 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
I can only speak for where I lived, far NW Crystal Lake/Algonquin. The development along Randall keeps on going and probably looks quite a bit different than seven years ago. Algonquin Commons, and a new twin development on the other side of Randall is huge. There are no freeways in McHenry County, I believe the most populous county in the US without freeways. Threre is a high accident rate, due to the old farm roads not being able to keep up with all the population.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 23,394 times
Thanks to both of you. Lake Zurich was unincorporated when I was up there, that's new. Lived in the city from '94 til I moved, school before that so it's been a while since I've lived up there. I'll check it out. I've been on Realtor.com. Thought the prices looked like they were going down from a year or so ago. . .Interesting about McHenry and no freeways. I think taxes are high there too, right? Would make sense if the county's maintaining all the main arteries.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:05 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xxandnoxy View Post
Lake Zurich was unincorporated when I was up there, that's new.
The Lake Zurich area has been built up A LOT. Take a drive down Rt 22 and Rt 12 - you'll be amazed.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:08 PM

21 posts, read 78,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xxandnoxy View Post
Native Chicagoan returning (with mixed feelings) from 7 wonderful yrs in South Carolina to chase a ridiculous raise- note daughter count below. Grew up in Wilmette and Lincolnshire (when it was the end of the earth- it actually had a strip joint at Milwaukee and 22) HS at Loyola Academy. Trying to determine where to plant the family (4 young daughters and wife). Pricepoint 500K to max of 800K but schools and proximity to train / O'Hare critical. I'm tentatively looking at West Lake Bluff (higher end), and Prairie Crossing in Grayslake (may send kids to parochial school there). I think I know most of the benefits of both areas, but looking for additional counsel on those areas and others that may be up and comers with "bang for the buck." Of course, I'm assuming Lake Bluff hasn't changed much aside from the pricepoint increase. Seeking to avoid Naperville- fyi.

In particular a synopsis of the sprawl over the last 7 years is appreciated.

My hunch is that the market has not bottomed out based on the subprime bs / overbuilt market so I also don't want to take a bath.

Different subject, what kind of lowballs are people making at this point? I've heard as much as 10 to 15 % short of list for product that has been on the market for a while.

Would love to find 3000+ updated SF in Evanston or Wilmette , but doubt it can be done.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Wilmette and Lincolnshire are still nice, but have gotten expensive.

West Lake Bluff is nice too.

Your cheapest bet is Grayslake. Still a nice area, and much cheaper overall. Prairie Crossing even has it's own Metra stop now. Everything has been built up over the years. Prairie Crossing has some new homes by the new Metra stop that are pretty expensive. But it sounds like you could afford them easily if you're looking in the 500k to 800k range.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 10,642 times
I'm considering taking a job in the Lake Bluff area. Any thoughts on Townhouse costs for around $180K - $200K? Which towns would you recomend so commute is less than 15 minutes?
Also, any suggestions on finding a "Roomate to share costs" in the area? Looking to try and keep temporary costs below $600 until I locate a Townhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs