Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,118 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
We've just recently relocated to the Chicago area and are missing NY style Pizza like crazy, even though we do love deep dish Chicago Pizza too!
Anyone know where we can get thin chewy crust NY Pizza? We live off Randall Rd in South Elgin. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Why would you want to go back to something inferior? Eat that chicago style and love it!

Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times
The thing with New York style is it has to be cut in triangles to really taste like NY pizza. Rosatis pizza has a thin crust but they always cut it in squares. I'm sure if you asked them to do large triangles they would. Their crust isn't too chewy though so you won't get the full effect but it does have that gooey top! I'm hungry.
Rosati's Pizza

[SIZE=4](847) 697-8667[/SIZE] www.rosatispizza.com
1165 W Spring St, South Elgin, IL 60177

Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenout View Post
Hi everyone!
We've just recently relocated to the Chicago area and are missing NY style Pizza like crazy, even though we do love deep dish Chicago Pizza too!
Anyone know where we can get thin chewy crust NY Pizza? We live off Randall Rd in South Elgin. Thanks!

NY Pizza? YUCK! Good Luck.... NOT J/K

Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
This topic keeps popping up, and the result is pretty much the same each time: most Chicagoans don't really know what NY-style pizza is supposed to taste like, and every New York transplant swears that nobody out here does authentic NY-style pizza. So you may be SOL. Just as well, Chicago-style has its own charm, especially when you consider the extremes of the two variations of Chicago pizza: one style with a crust so thin you might mistake it for a giant cracker, and another style that's nine inches high.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Try Garibaldi's right on Randall Road up near Algonquin I believe it is. Shouldnt be more than 15-20 minutes from your place.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:02 AM

New York Style Pizza in Illinois - New York Pizza Finder

Try this.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:24 AM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times
I don't get this NY vs. Chicago style pizza thing. I've had both in their hometown locations and both tasted like pepperoni, cheese, tomato sauce and crust. Honestly besides the cut, what's the difference? The Deep Dish Chicago style is the only one I can see being objectional. If it's the cut that bothers you, ask the pizza place to cut it differently, I do- I don't like the square cut that much.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 AM

I personally think there is a taste difference. NY pizza is chewy - the crust that is. You kind of roll it up when you eat it. In the Midwest the crust tends to be crisper and when you pick it up it does not sag. NY pizza has this not so oiley oiley layer on the top and it melts in your mouth. You can eat it as a snack and not fill up like you do with the thick, eat with a fork Chicago pizza. While I love both style (heck I'd eat any kind of pizza) I personally find there to be a difference in taste and texture. I grew up in Philly as a kid and still crave Nat's pizza.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
I don't get this NY vs. Chicago style pizza thing. I've had both in their hometown locations and both tasted like pepperoni, cheese, tomato sauce and crust. Honestly besides the cut, what's the difference? The Deep Dish Chicago style is the only one I can see being objectional. If it's the cut that bothers you, ask the pizza place to cut it differently, I do- I don't like the square cut that much.
Difference is proportion of ingredients and how that affects overall taste and texture, and a major difference is the sauce. NY-style pizza sauce is a lot sweeter, Chicago-style is tangier and more acidic, at least on thin-crust. Many use a sweeter sauce for stuffed pizza. Giordano's does not, which is why I can't stand their stuffed pizza. To reduce pizza to simply "pepperoni, cheese, tomato sauce and crust" is to believe that the way those ingredients are made and the way they are assembled makes no difference -- that there is no difference between Rosati's and Domino's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs