Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM

20 posts, read 96,001 times

Advertisements

One more factor. My wife competes in equestrian competitions (Hunter Jumper) and we would be interested in finding a barn where she can board her horse with training. Can anyone recommend someplace for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 01:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
Naperville to the Loop for me, but I bike to the train, so that makes my commute to the train 15 minutes-ish and my total commute one hour. The train from downtown Naperville is pretty consistent and my commute feels much shorter than an hour. I lived in LA for 8 years and my hour commute there felt like it took forever...and was very frustrating. A Chicago train commute or equal length of time is so much nicer. I read on the train or start my workday there...so much better than driving.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
The development boom has pushed most equestrian faclities out to the country. Fortunately there is a very nice facility not far from Naperville in Oswego -- Photo Gallery Horse Farm Boarding Oswego Illinois I doubt it is inexpensive but folks into horses probably know that it is not a budget friendly pasttime...

Old 12-02-2011, 04:12 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
I'm sure it would be cheaper than boarding a horse in LA. Barrington would put you near a bunch of barns and that's a heckuva lot closer to the Loop than Naperville. She should check out the Illinois Hunter Jumper Association Illinois Hunter Jumper Association - Home Page and also The Chronicle of the Horse forum Chronicle Forums - Powered by vBulletin for suggestions from active riders. I never competed and I am not currently riding. Riding in winter is going to be quite an adjustment for her. Wayne is a very horsey town, but they don't have a train. The Bartlett stop of the Milwaukee District West Line would be your stop. That's not a very fast line. Oak Brook was built by a polo playing family, but it's quite expensive.

Last edited by knitgirl; 12-02-2011 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-03-2011, 06:01 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Naperville train service is generally a bit faster than Barrington. Both are remarkable similar distances from the Loop -- Naperville, IL to Barrington, IL - Google Maps

Wayne to Barlett to the Loop is a messy commute, and I think more of the horse owners in Wayne have their own stables than any facilities like near Naperville...

Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,191 times
When looking at homes, definitely look into how you will get to the train from your home. A mile walk in the spring/summer/fall might be feel like ten miles in January or February. Many train stations have long waiting lists for parking there, including stations in Naperville. 4-6 year waiting lists are not uncommon!

Due to your office location in the Loop, you may want to consider Oak Park. 20 minute or less ride on the green line (that's not Metra but CTA) and the train will take you close to your office front door. Parking by the trains, either CTA or Metra, is expensive but plentiful.

Another poster mentioned Lisle. Schools aren't quite as good there. La Grange is another great option. Nice, walkable downtown with good restaurants and shops, housing mix is both old and new

Old 12-03-2011, 03:12 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,939,418 times
Here's a listing of horse boarding stables near/in Naperville (you can use the dropdown menu at the top to filter by community name):

Horse Boarding Stables in Naperville, IL on Yahoo! Local

There used to be a polo club in Naperville that met not far from Giddy Up, but I think it moved to Oak Brook.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 AM

Thank you all for the feedback.

Looking at taking the train vs. driving, it looks like union station is a mile from my office. Is the downtown bus system, convenient, clean, safe, and reliable?

Also, someone commented that some train stations have waiting lists for parking. Can you tell me how I find out which stations are backed up?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,939,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Looking at taking the train vs. driving, it looks like union station is a mile from my office. Is the downtown bus system, convenient, clean, safe, and reliable?
I personally wouldn't ride the buses at night, but most of the time I think you're OK during the day. Clean, I don't know ... I tend to wash my hands after riding the train, being a bit of germophobe. Whether they're convenient or not, you'll have to check the schedules and judge for yourself (note that you can sign up for alerts, which is a help):

Chicago Transit Authority

Quote:
Also, someone commented that some train stations have waiting lists for parking. Can you tell me how I find out which stations are backed up?
Can't speak for other suburbs, but last I heard the Route 59 and Naperville stations have waiting lists that are something like 7-8 years.

Vasily

Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

Can't speak for other suburbs, but last I heard the Route 59 and Naperville stations have waiting lists that are something like 7-8 years.

Vasily
So what do people do if they can't park? Is there street parking with a short walk? What are the options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs