Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 7,870 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will soon be relocating to the area for a job in Hammond. I know nothing of the Chicago/Indiana area and was hoping to find some help about areas to start looking since there seems to be so much variety! I have not done much research yet as I just found out about the job yesterday. Right now I am a little overwhelmed and don't know where to start looking.

A bit about me..I am a 29 year old single male with no family. I would prefer a lively area not too far (30 min commute) to Hammond. Preferably an area that one could easily walk to things such as restaurants, bars, and markets. I will be looking to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom place. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:35 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Easily walk to bars, resturants and markets? I'd strongly recommend Homewood. Hop on I-80 and head east and you'll be in Hammond in less than a half hour. Lassens in Homewood is a fairly popular bar (by suburban standards) on Thursday nights. There are apartments and condos in downtown Homewood and plenty of shops and restaurants and a few bars in walking distance.

Highland could also work for an easy commute. It's just south of Hammond and has plenty of chain restaurants and retail. You won't be able to walk to it though.

Especially since you are a young man and schools are a non-issue, Hammond itself might even work! Just make sure you case out the neighborhood first. You can also look into the Hegwisch neighborhood on the far southeast side of Chicago. In all honesty, if I were in you shoes, I might even look into apartments a little north of there (like "the East Side") so I can possibly get a cheaper place and have more money for other things.. The southeast side of Chicago isn't heaven but it's not Englewood either, if you know what I mean.

Good luck on your search! And welcome to South Chicagoland.

Last edited by urza216; 12-07-2011 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 PM

157 posts, read 403,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Easily walk to bars, resturants and markets? I'd strongly recommend Homewood. Hop on I-80 and head east and you'll be in Hammond in less than a half hour. Lassens in Homewood is a fairly popular bar (by suburban standards) on Thursday nights. There are apartments and condos in downtown Homewood and plenty of shops and restaurants and a few bars in walking distance.

Highland could also work for an easy commute. It's just south of Hammond and has plenty of chain restaurants and retail. You won't be able to walk to it though.

Especially since you are a young man and schools are a non-issue, Hammond itself might even work! Just make sure you case out the neighborhood first. You can also look into the Hegwisch neighborhood on the far southeast side of Chicago. In all honesty, if I were in you shoes, I might even look into apartments a little north of there (like "the East Side") so I can possibly get a cheaper place and have more money for other things.. The southeast side of Chicago isn't heaven but it's not Englewood either, if you know what I mean.

Good luck on your search! And welcome to South Chicagoland.
I think urza laid out some very good options here. You may also want to consider the Ridge Road corridor (between Burnham Ave in Lansing and Calumet Ave in Munster). The are many shops, restaurants, and bars along this one mile stretch and it's very walkable. It's also just south of Hammond. On the Lansing side there are many houses that can be rented for reasonable rates. On the Munster side you can find older 2-story duplexes just north of Ridge Rd for rent and a few apartments as well. I have a friend who lives in an apartment on Manor Ave in Munster (just south of Ridge Rd) and he seems to really like the area.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:27 AM

Thank you both for the feedback. This gives me some good info on where to start my research! Thanks again!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
South Loop, commute may be a bit longer, but you'll be happier.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM

deleted

Old 12-09-2011, 07:19 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Jeez I dunno, depending on how "working class" the OP is and what sorts of people he'd like to hang out with after work I think most 29 year olds would STRONGLY prefer living in Chicago. My top choices would be Hyde Park, Lincoln Park or Lakeview, but I can imagine Pilsen, Beverly, UIV/Taylor St being good choices too.

So many suburban bars are mostly people with family ties and such -- much easier to met new people in parts of Chicago with at least a mix of locals and folks from elsewhere...

Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 PM

I do think I will be happier being closer to Chicago itself but am concerned about the commute. Anyone have some insight into how bad the commute would be from say somewhere like Hyde Park to Hammond for a typical 8-5 work day?

Old 12-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Why is being close to two-nights-a-week entertainment more important than being close where you are driving to five nights a week? And it's not like you can't be a half hour late for your entertainment. You will be forgiven. And it's not like you always have funds for said entrainment - especially a big chunk of your money is going into your commute. There's no reason why someone living in Hammond can't drive to Hyde Park.. Or somewhere an hour away, for that matter. I wouldn't wanna work an hour away but I personally have little problem driving an hour for entertainment.

Commuting from Lakeview would be a nightmare, by the way. Or anywhere north of 35th street.

Last edited by urza216; 12-13-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 05:23 AM

185 posts, read 594,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Why is being close to two-nights-a-week entertainment more important than being close where you are driving to five nights a week?
I have to wonder that myself. Do people really go out partying seven nights a week?

But on the other hand, if your idea of entertainment involves a lot of drinking and staying out until the wee hours of the night, driving is not a good idea. And if you meet someone you'd like to become more intimate with while you are out, you are more likely to be successful saying "Why don't you come back to my place, it's around the corner" than "Why don't you come back to my place, it's somewhere in the bowels of Indiana."

I guess it's a trade off. If you are expecting to make friends, it's going to be tough if they are located 50 miles away from where you live. On the other hand, if you have a professional job (rather than a punch-the-timeclock-and-I'm-done job), you are going to be handicapped if you live far away from work and your job requires being on call or being available at odd hours to deal with foreign clients or emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs