Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,521 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Chicago my whole life and I still get depressed during the winter! Moving from Florida to Chicago is such a climate and culture shock. The best way to stave off depression during the cold months is to find activities you enjoy that can be done indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 08:00 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
You can always go to a conservatory, I do remember when I used to drive up to the Garfield Conservatory during winter months.

Being inside with the plants and it has that warm humid feel to it during the winter. Good therapy if you ask me.

Even life long Midwesterners get depressed from the lack of light during the winter.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Get out of the house *and* bring full spectrum lights inside. And, if you can afford it, maybe remodel so that you have a skylight. Open your shades and curtains, especially on the south side of the house, too.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Even life long Midwesterners get depressed from the lack of light during the winter.
It does get depressing but It make you appreciate the warmer weather more.

Especially around late March/April when it goes 60 or 70 after 5 months of nothing but 45> degree weather.

To the OP. There's plenty to do indoors. don let the cold turn you into a hermit. Just bundle up.

mas23

Old 12-10-2011, 11:52 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post
Hey everyone,

Me and my husband moved to Chicago 6 months ago from Central Florida. We rented an apartment downtown and a month ago we bought a house in Naperville cause rent was too high.

I miss Florida so much and I'm so sick of the weather here and it's not even winter yet. It's so depressing to stay in and too cold to go out and do anything, it gets too dark so fast and I miss our families in FL.

I know we can't move anywhere for a while now since we bought a house but I don't know what to do. I miss the hot and humid weather!
This thread just caught my eye, although I don't live in Chicago. I know what you mean about missing familiar things & family though. I just moved to southern California a few months ago from Pennsylvania. This is just a seasonal move (I'll be living here in the winters), but I was originally open to the prospect of it being a more permanent move. Screw that though. I favor PA way more than this place, although the winters are atrocious. I'll just skip those from now on though.

I've spent a lot of time in South Florida, and I can imagine how tough it must be for you to transition to Chicago's winter climate. My best advice for you is to occasionally go tanning. That really helped me when I lived in PA with the seasonal blues. Hell, I might start tanning here in Socal, as (amazingly) I'm starting to get that ****ty "wintery" feeling. The sun sets here at 4:00 right now and it's cold as hell here at night. I'm in San Diego county too!

My best advice for you is to go tanning at least once a week, and if you can afford it maybe fly down to FL once a month or so for a weekend. My uncle lived in Florida and worked in Chicago for over 20 years, because my aunt refused to leave FL. He'd fly home once a month for the weekend.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:41 PM

174 posts, read 640,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Get out of the house. You won't find a friend to talk to in your house. Cold does not stop socializing. It changes a bit (i.e. more indoor bars rather than outdoor cafe more indoor gym or park district programs less running along the lake). Find something you are interested in and see if there is a meet up group that does it.
Easier said than done. There's been alot of reasons or factors.
You see, it's very hard to make new friends as an adult if most of the people have already social networks or circle of friends of their own.
No offense, some of Chicagoans are close minded or not very open to making new friends.

Anyway, I'll be starting school again next year. Ooh I'm so excited.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM

78 posts, read 122,668 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, they've helped a lot and it's good to see that other people feel the same way about the winter and sympathize, my husband was like "Get over it". That did not help at all.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:59 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Take all these good suggestions, and get on w/ living. If you need some therapy, seek a good counselor. It is hard to cope w/ so many changes. You may just need a mental health professional to aid you in coping, nothing wrong w/ seeking a professional. Also, be thankful, you could be in North Dakota, like me. Hope you feel stronger soon. Keep us posted, lots of very caring ppl have responded to you. And, here is something that years ago I found changed my life. If you don't work, try volunteering. I volunteered at the children's section of our local library when my children were small, it was so nice, got me out of the house, and it feels really nice to help folks.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
It does get depressing but It make you appreciate the warmer weather more.

Especially around late March/April when it goes 60 or 70 after 5 months of nothing but 45> degree weather.

To the OP. There's plenty to do indoors. don let the cold turn you into a hermit. Just bundle up.

mas23
Odd thing is I personally favor this weather over the hot blistering days of summer when all you can do is stay inside anyway.

Plenty of things to do outside in the winter months.
Most days are tolerable.
Personally I lived in Fla and did not like the heat.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Easier said than done. There's been alot of reasons or factors.
You see, it's very hard to make new friends as an adult if most of the people have already social networks or circle of friends of their own.
No offense, some of Chicagoans are close minded or not very open to making new friends.

Anyway, I'll be starting school again next year. Ooh I'm so excited.
I found when I moved in the 80's from Cali to N.D. that it was helpful that I had school aged children. I found volunteering w/ the various scouts, and school activities led me to situations and opportunities to get to know other parents. Church ativities, volunteering etc. I am not sure where in Chicago you live, but is there a neighborhood place, a lil eatery etc, where you could pop in weekly, and get to be a regular. How about a local church? Also, volunteering w/ agencies that work w/ underprivledged
folks seems to put things in perspective, and makes us realize how good we have it. Just some suggestions, hope it gets better

Last edited by JanND; 12-11-2011 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: revised
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs